Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > History Help Forum > History Help
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

History Help History Help and Homework Forum - Pre-University and University History Help and Homework Questions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Citizen
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
How did the Federalists implement their ideas during the Washington administrations?


Essay question that may be on my exam:

How did the Federalists implement their ideas during the administrations of Washington and Adams?
Summarize the Federalist philosophy, then choose three policies or events and explain how each represents the Federalist philosophy.

Loose Interpretation - The Federalist believed in a "loose interpretation" meaning that if the constitution does not specifically say you cannot do something, than you can do it. The Constitution to them is not set in stone, so it can be viewed in multiple ways. This creates a stronger central government with more power to do different things. They believe the Constitution should be read loosely, not strictly.

Strong Central Government - Federalists also believed in a strong central government. Federalists realized that the Articles of Confederation were too weak and after the scare of Shay's rebellion, they realized that the government did not have enough power over their people. They did not have a strong enough army and they did not want their own people to revolt and not have enough government control over the people. The states seemed to have more power with the Articles of Confederation but a weak government. Federalists wanted a country that is not dictated by 13 different states but a unified country with a stronger government. They also wanted a division of power between state and federal governments.

Industry - Federalists favored industry, commerce, and banking, over agriculture. Federalists being from the north supported manufacturing, shipping, trade and, factories over farming and wanted to support legislation and laws that would improve factories.

Authority - Federalists favored authority over liberty. Federalists wanted more government control over their people.

Elite Rule - Who should be involved and make political choices? Federalists believe that the "rich, well-born and able" should rule. Power should be with the wealthy and educated people like fancy aristocrats. They should be the ones who vote. They should be the ones who participate in government. They believe that if you are not wealthy, then you cannot be educated enough to make the right choices and you should not be included.

Federalists favored England - The U.S. trades majority of their goods with England, both import and export. We had close economic ties with England, so it would only make perfect sense to support England. Federalists were the ones doing the trading, shipping, and all the financial stuff with England, so going to war with England would not make any sense, otherwise it would interfere with their business between the U.S. and England, and this would be bad for American economy.

Women and Children and Labor Force - Federalists favored a labor force because they wanted to industrialize to build a stronger economy.

Use of government to assist industry - infrastructure
Federalists favored taxes to help pay off U.S. debt so that they could establish credit and build infrastructure like roads and canals to help industrialize the country so that the economy can flourish. And they also favored a strong military to handle security problems and protect the nation.

Policies:
Hamilton's Financial Plan
Loose Interpretation - This event represents the Federalist philosophy because they believed in a "loose interpretation" of the Constitution where if it says if you cannot do something, than you can do it. Hamilton wanted to establish a national bank. Even though the Constitution did not state we could have a bank, it also did not strictly say the government could not have one. Hamilton found a clause, the Elastic Clause, arguing that the national bank would be "necessary and proper" to save our economy, so Congress passed the laws and Bank of the U.S. was approved.
Moderate/Strong Central government - This event represents Federalist philosophy because it gives the government more power than the states. Hamilton wants the government to assume all state debts and instead of the states owing money to whomever they originally borrowed their money from, now they are indebted to the federal government. This in turn gives the government more power over their people because now they are obligated to the government to pay back their debt by paying taxes. But we also need an institution to collect the taxes, and Hamilton establishes the Bank of the U.S. even though the Constitution does not strictly state that the government is allowed to have a bank, Hamilton gets around it legally due to the Elastic Clause. The government again wins and Hamilton gets what he wants. Government gets authority and power to establish the bank. By creating a national bank, by creating a national debt, Hamilton takes power away from the states, he gives it to the federal government which results in a strong, Federalists, centrally, run government.
Use of government to assist industry - This event represents the Federalist philosophy because Federalists believes in the use of government to help industrialize the country and Hamilton's plan is an excellent example of this. Hamilton excise taxes, making the people pay taxes to pay off U.S. debts. He also gets the government to assume all debts so that he can pay off this debt with the excise taxes. This in turn shows that the country has a good name by establishing credit that they never had before assuming U.S. debt because the government never had national debt. Only the states had individual debts. With this credit he establishes, Hamilton will then borrow money and with that money, he will build infrastructure which Federalists believe is important in order to industrialize and build a stronger economy. Hamilton than builds a strong military force in order to protect from smugglers coming in to the U.S. due to excise taxes and also to handle security problems and protect the nation. Hamilton also creates and establishes a national bank to help stabilize the U.S. currency also regulate the currency as well.

The Whiskey Rebellion
Strong Central Government - This event represents the Federalist philosophy because they believed in a strong central government where the government is strong enough to control their people. In the Whiskey Rebellion, farmers rebelled against the tax on whiskey. The rebellion was put down by the U.S. army which shows how strong of a federal government they had, unlike the time of the Articles of Confederation when it was powerless and weak. The government gets authority and power to put down the rebellion. This event also represents Federalist philosophy because the Federalists like to tax, similar to England. Federalists favored England and would tax to help benefit their country to help pay off national debt, just like Hamilton's plan.

XYZ Affair
This event represents the Federalists philosophy because the XYZ Affair involves 3 American Federalists who goes to France - Diplomats who are sent by the Adam's government. Federalists do not like the French to start with. Federalists object strongly to the French, partly because there is a Revolution going on up there. And this goes against the authoritarian tendencies of the Federalists. But also, Federalists like the English system. They do not like the French system. They go to France to negotiate and are met by 3 French agents X, Y, and Z. The Federalists just wants to talk to the Prime Minister, but the French demand a bribe. The Federalists refused, returned back to America, the story leaks to the press. Americans feel very upset and insulted and this leads to the Quasi war ( an almost war) not declared, no real battle.

I'm not really sure how I would answer this essay question but I need more help on the first part of how the Federalists implement their ideas during the administrations of Washington and Adams.

One of the ways the Federalist implement their ideas was through Hamilton's financial plan by creating national debt to establish credit so that they could build a stronger economy by building infrastructure and create industry. They would also build a strong military to protect the nation and establish a national bank. This results in a strong, federalists, centrally run government.

Is there any way to improve on this?

THANK YOU!!!
PinkIce is offline  
Remove Ads
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2

tjadams's Avatar
Epicurean
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Texas
Posts: 25,389
Blog Entries: 6

You hit on all the high points. It is good.
tjadams is offline  
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

I agree, it looks good. You might want to include the Alien and Sedition acts too, though.
Rongo is offline  
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Citizen
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
I agree, it looks good. You might want to include the Alien and Sedition acts too, though.
My essay says I can only choose three. I think the Alien and Sedition Acts would be a good choice to include as well!!

Which three would any of you guys choose?!

I am thinking to definitely include Hamilton's financial plan because it implements many of the Federalists ideas and philosophies.

^_^

oops, I mean the last question of the essay asks for three policies or events and explain how each represents or does not represent the Federalists philosophies.
PinkIce is offline  
Old April 21st, 2012, 03:45 AM   #5

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkIce View Post
My essay says I can only choose three. I think the Alien and Sedition Acts would be a good choice to include as well!!

Which three would any of you guys choose?!

I am thinking to definitely include Hamilton's financial plan because it implements many of the Federalists ideas and philosophies.

^_^

oops, I mean the last question of the essay asks for three policies or events and explain how each represents or does not represent the Federalists philosophies.
I personally would go with the AH financial plan, the whiskey rebellion, and the alien & sedition acts. I think the XYZ affair really was a non-Federalist policy, in trying to establish relationships with France. The Federalist policies were the reaction to it: building up the navy, and the alien and sedition acts. Just my opinion though.
Rongo is offline  
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Citizen
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
I personally would go with the AH financial plan, the whiskey rebellion, and the alien & sedition acts. I think the XYZ affair really was a non-Federalist policy, in trying to establish relationships with France. The Federalist policies were the reaction to it: building up the navy, and the alien and sedition acts. Just my opinion though.
That is a great point. My professor says that the issue of why they were tryng to negotiate is not important. But maybe it is! I never considered that trying to negotiate would mean that we are trying to establish some sort of relationship with them (France) and Federalists hated the French.

THANKS!!
PinkIce is offline  
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Lecturer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Indiana, USA
Posts: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkIce View Post
That is a great point. My professor says that...
I disagree with many points, but after such a large post with the above proviso, they don't seem worth mentioning. Your professor is going to give you your grade. But I suggest you read all of the Federalist papers after ace-ing your exam.
Apicius is offline  
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Citizen
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apicius View Post
I disagree with many points, but after such a large post with the above proviso, they don't seem worth mentioning. Your professor is going to give you your grade. But I suggest you read all of the Federalist papers after ace-ing your exam.
Do you disagree with MY points you mean? Be nice if you tell me which points because as you can see I am here for homework help, not a debate. When you say you disagree, it is like saying I am stating my side or my opinions and I am actually here for help because I am a student and I don't know much about history.

The sole purpose for me being here is to gain a little insight for my exam in case I get this question because my professor gives us 6 questions to study, and he gives us 2 of them on the exam, we choose 1, and it is worth a whopping 50 points, half of my grade. I think he is a little harsh but whatever. That is why I am here and am very desparate as you can see. So if you can help me on any part of my essay question, how I can improve it, I really appreciate it. When you say you disagree with many points, I'd like to know what point, because everything I wrote, pretty much got that from my professor, well the philosophy part anyways. But as far as how the policies represent the philosophy, I am just guessing.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.
PinkIce is offline  
Reply

  Historum > History Help Forum > History Help

Tags
washington adams


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Federalists Vs. Anti-Federalists weswood404 American History 17 March 4th, 2012 02:42 PM
Website ideas Historius History Teachers 15 February 14th, 2010 02:26 AM
ideas please Wobomagonda General History 28 August 23rd, 2009 01:25 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.