Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > History Help Forum > History Help
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

History Help History Help and Homework Forum - Pre-University and University History Help and Homework Questions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2014, 09:08 AM   #1
Citizen
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Ireland
Posts: 9
How and why did southern whites seek to limit African-American civil rights...


.. and liberties in the Reconstruction era?

Its for a college assignment.

How and why did southern whites seek to limit African-American civil rights and liberties in the Reconstruction era?

Any thoughts?

thanks
conbutts is offline  
Remove Ads
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Feb 2014
From: the Moonshine State
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by conbutts View Post
.. and liberties in the Reconstruction era?

Its for a college assignment.

How and why did southern whites seek to limit African-American civil rights and liberties in the Reconstruction era?

Any thoughts?

thanks
first the Reconstruction era

I maybe wrong about alot of this but Im just going by what I've heard and seen about it growing up in Tennessee

after the Civil War, there were many reasons Whites and Black were divided not merely over race or slavery

alot of it had to do with the political atmosphere of the time

in most southern states, ex-Confederates were not allowed to vote, which basically meant about 90% of the white population

the Republicans basically had a political monopoly but also they heavily recruited black people not only to vote but to take public office too

so, there was much resentment from whites who were excluded from voting, toward blacks who not only had the right to vote for the first time but were becoming very politically active in some parts of the South and were virtually unopposed in running for office as the many of the voters for the Southern Democrats were not able to vote

White greatly resented not only having their voting rights taken away but also the fact that now, alot of African Americans were having a voice in politics

plus most of the Blacks of course openly supported the Radical Republicans whom most southern White greatly hated as they basically treated the South very harshly during reconstruction in general

Blacks were attacked at the voting boothe in order to stop them from trying to vote, among other things

eventually the Southern Democrats regained control with Jim Crow laws, since slavery had been abolished

as for the Civil Rights era?? it was just blind racism

the South had an extremely long history of a institutional racial caste system going back to the late 1600's and early 1700's and of course white and non-white racial differences were more important and common in the colonial South than elsewhere in America. It was just a part of American history in general but since the majority of Africans always resided in the South and slavery was alot more viable economically in the South, then those older attitudes about race persisted much longer in the South
one incident that took place in the Civil rights era in Mississippi is when a black man had his truck blown up by the local KKK

The guy had just got a promotion as a manger in the local tire factory, Doesnt seem like a big deal but it was a job normally held for white men.
The other workers were so upset he got the job, they killed him, plus he was also a local treasurer for the NAACP which just made it worse in their eyes

Its no coincidence that a large number if active groups back then like the KKK were from working class backgrounds as well

even in reconstruction era Memphis, there was animosity but whites and blacks had co-existed without any violence for while, until some whites hung a local black business man because he had come to ow some property and was just a little bit richer than the average white man at the time

He wasnt hung for only being black but for being black and wealthier than most whites

even in the slave days the system was set up in such a way it pitted poor whites and blacks against each other and from the racist history of the area, it was working class whites who resented the civil rights movement more than anyone else because they not only feared being in economic competition with blacks but just hated the idea a black man could make a much or more money than they do and even do better for himself

but in a nutshell there was a long history of a racial cast system that prevailed in the South for far longer than anywhere else in America and even when slavery was abolished the cultural attitudes that had been so long held by white southerners were still very much ingrained, so a notion of white supremacy just lasted longer here and was more deeply ingrained into the culture.

If you want to know the ULTIMATE roots of it, then go back to the 1600's when English Cavalier families came to the Southern colonies with their white indentured servants.
Eventually bring in African servants too and then African slaves.

African slavery soon became more popular than owning white servants whom you have to free every 7 years and so a form of institutional racism began

then, while slavery was being slowly abolished or less popular elsewhere, the Plantation and commercial crop farming economic system became stronger and stronger in the Southern colonies and more deeply ingrained in the culture and economy.
again, because of that, the cultural impact made by the institutional racial caste system was stronger and remained intact longer.
Tagit N Bagit is offline  
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: USA
Posts: 3,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by conbutts View Post
.. and liberties in the Reconstruction era?

Its for a college assignment.

How and why did southern whites seek to limit African-American civil rights and liberties in the Reconstruction era?

Any thoughts?

thanks
You might want to look into the association of the Klan and segregationists generally and the Democratic Party.
RoryOMore is offline  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Citizen
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Ireland
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagit N Bagit View Post
first the Reconstruction era

I maybe wrong about alot of this but Im just going by what I've heard and seen about it growing up in Tennessee

after the Civil War, there were many reasons Whites and Black were divided not merely over race or slavery

alot of it had to do with the political atmosphere of the time

in most southern states, ex-Confederates were not allowed to vote, which basically meant about 90% of the white population

the Republicans basically had a political monopoly but also they heavily recruited black people not only to vote but to take public office too

so, there was much resentment from whites who were excluded from voting, toward blacks who not only had the right to vote for the first time but were becoming very politically active in some parts of the South and were virtually unopposed in running for office as the many of the voters for the Southern Democrats were not able to vote

White greatly resented not only having their voting rights taken away but also the fact that now, alot of African Americans were having a voice in politics

plus most of the Blacks of course openly supported the Radical Republicans whom most southern White greatly hated as they basically treated the South very harshly during reconstruction in general

Blacks were attacked at the voting boothe in order to stop them from trying to vote, among other things

eventually the Southern Democrats regained control with Jim Crow laws, since slavery had been abolished

as for the Civil Rights era?? it was just blind racism

the South had an extremely long history of a institutional racial caste system going back to the late 1600's and early 1700's and of course white and non-white racial differences were more important and common in the colonial South than elsewhere in America. It was just a part of American history in general but since the majority of Africans always resided in the South and slavery was alot more viable economically in the South, then those older attitudes about race persisted much longer in the South
one incident that took place in the Civil rights era in Mississippi is when a black man had his truck blown up by the local KKK

The guy had just got a promotion as a manger in the local tire factory, Doesnt seem like a big deal but it was a job normally held for white men.
The other workers were so upset he got the job, they killed him, plus he was also a local treasurer for the NAACP which just made it worse in their eyes

Its no coincidence that a large number if active groups back then like the KKK were from working class backgrounds as well

even in reconstruction era Memphis, there was animosity but whites and blacks had co-existed without any violence for while, until some whites hung a local black business man because he had come to ow some property and was just a little bit richer than the average white man at the time

He wasnt hung for only being black but for being black and wealthier than most whites

even in the slave days the system was set up in such a way it pitted poor whites and blacks against each other and from the racist history of the area, it was working class whites who resented the civil rights movement more than anyone else because they not only feared being in economic competition with blacks but just hated the idea a black man could make a much or more money than they do and even do better for himself

but in a nutshell there was a long history of a racial cast system that prevailed in the South for far longer than anywhere else in America and even when slavery was abolished the cultural attitudes that had been so long held by white southerners were still very much ingrained, so a notion of white supremacy just lasted longer here and was more deeply ingrained into the culture.

If you want to know the ULTIMATE roots of it, then go back to the 1600's when English Cavalier families came to the Southern colonies with their white indentured servants.
Eventually bring in African servants too and then African slaves.

African slavery soon became more popular than owning white servants whom you have to free every 7 years and so a form of institutional racism began

then, while slavery was being slowly abolished or less popular elsewhere, the Plantation and commercial crop farming economic system became stronger and stronger in the Southern colonies and more deeply ingrained in the culture and economy.
again, because of that, the cultural impact made by the institutional racial caste system was stronger and remained intact longer.
Wow!

Great post.

You've given me much food for thought.

You've made some excellent points. Points that don't jump out of the texts that I'm currently reading but your interpretation is solid and you've provided a level of context that I hadn't already considered.

thanks again

Last edited by conbutts; March 3rd, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
conbutts is offline  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Citizen
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Ireland
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryOMore View Post
You might want to look into the association of the Klan and segregationists generally and the Democratic Party.
Indeed, Rory.

They are both key points that I must explore.

thanks
conbutts is offline  
Reply

  Historum > History Help Forum > History Help

Tags
africanamerican, civil, limit, rights, seek, southern, whites



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Native North American tribe was more effective against the whites Yōḥānān American History 81 January 31st, 2014 02:23 PM
American Civil Rights Wammond History Help 3 October 30th, 2012 08:12 PM
What rights did Americans lose after the War for Southern Independence PenDraig American History 28 October 1st, 2009 08:07 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.