Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Medieval and Byzantine History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Medieval and Byzantine History Medieval and Byzantine History Forum - Period of History between classical antiquity and modern times, roughly the 5th through 16th Centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Citizen
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: Bakewell, Derbyshire
Posts: 18
Richard III did have a hunchback spine.


Just wondered how the Richard revisionists feel about the discovery of Richards body and confirmation that he did have a hunchback spine.

Are you finally going to stop living on the radical fringes and start putting evidence first rumours last and realize how evil he really was.

Edward of Lancaster
Henry VI
Anne Neville
Edward V
Richard, duke of York

Rest in peace

Last edited by WitchKing; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
WitchKing is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2

Apachewarlord's Avatar
Chief idiot
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Hippy town U.S.A.!
Posts: 5,393
Blog Entries: 2

I think that your point is a little ridiculous. Having a hunchback spine does not make someone evil. To think that it does is like saying that have black skin makes you evil. That is a false thing to say.
Apachewarlord is online now  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Von Ranke's Avatar
Produce of Scotland
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Thistleland
Posts: 3,913

The skeleton discovered in Leicester which has not yet been proved to be Richard's has evidence of Scolosis which is not the same as having a hunchback. As to Richard's guilt in the deaths of the list you give there is no hard evidence which can prove his guilt or otherwise, apart from Henry VII who I can safely say Richard had no part in his death. I assume you mean Henry VI, again there is no evidence that Richard played any part in his death.
Von Ranke is offline  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4

unclefred's Avatar
The Snub Nosed Truth
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Oregon coastal mountains
Posts: 5,967
Blog Entries: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchKing View Post
Just wondered how the Richard revisionists feel about the discovery of Richards body and confirmation that he did have a hunchback spine.

Are you finally going to stop living on the radical fringes and start putting evidence first rumours last and realize how evil he really was.

Edward of Lancaster
Henry VII
Anne Neville
Edward V
Richard, duke of York

Rest in peace
While this is interesting, it's not conclusive. Even so, to nitpick between scoliosis and hunchback wouldn't serve the argument of the revisionists very well.

I do agree though that the revisionists and defenders of Richard are living in a fairy tale that includes the royal Jack the Ripper and the Shakespeare deniers.

Last edited by unclefred; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
unclefred is offline  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Citizen
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: Bakewell, Derbyshire
Posts: 18

Its a shame that 500 years on, a small petty cult still clings on to the white rose.
WitchKing is offline  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Bolton, UK
Posts: 1,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Ranke View Post
The skeleton discovered in Leicester which has not yet been proved to be Richard's has evidence of Scolosis which is not the same as having a hunchback.
If you saw someone walking down the street and they look hunchbacked, the first thing most people would say is "Look, there's a hunchback over there!" The chances are they are not going to say "Look, there's someone over there suffering from scoliosis, which is NOT the same as being hunchbacked".

This is what happened to those Tudors who wrote that he is hunchbacked. They couldn't differentiate between the two.

And Quasimodo, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, had scoliosis, but he was still viewed as a hunchback.

So, for all intents and purposes, Richard III was a hunchback and those Tudors were right all along.
Brunel is offline  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM   #7

Apachewarlord's Avatar
Chief idiot
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Hippy town U.S.A.!
Posts: 5,393
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
So, for all intents and purposes, Richard III was a hunchback and those Tudors were right all along.
But does that make him evil?
Apachewarlord is online now  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Bolton, UK
Posts: 1,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchKing View Post
Its a shame that 500 years on, a small petty cult still clings on to the white rose.
Don't forget, the Wars of the Roses still lingers.

It lingers on the cricket field when Yorkshire and Lancashire meet in the Roses Match.

And, as a proud Lancastrian, I'm pleased to say that the two don't meet that often at the moment, though, due to the fact that Lancashire (who won the County Championship in 2011 for the first time since 1950) are in Division One whereas Yorkshire are only in Division Two.
Brunel is offline  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:15 AM   #9

Apachewarlord's Avatar
Chief idiot
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Hippy town U.S.A.!
Posts: 5,393
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
Don't forget, the Wars of the Roses still lingers.

It lingers on the cricket field when Yorkshire and Lancashire meet in the Roses Match.

And, as a proud Lancastrian, I'm pleased to say that the two don't meet that often at the moment, though, due to the fact that Lancashire (who won the County Championship in 2011 for the first time since 1950) are in Division One whereas Yorkshire are only in Division Two.
How does cricket even work?

Here in America we make fun of it as being, well, boring.
Apachewarlord is online now  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM   #10

Crystal Rainbow's Avatar
The Good Knight
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 9,888
Blog Entries: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchKing View Post
Its a shame that 500 years on, a small petty cult still clings on to the white rose.
What small petty cult, I believe this gentleman was at the Richard III society AGM, last year. David Starkey. He is the leader of the tin foil hat bridage
Crystal Rainbow is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Medieval and Byzantine History

Tags
hunchback, iii, richard, spine


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Richard II: What's your take? Comet Medieval and Byzantine History 56 June 11th, 2013 03:37 PM
Richard III dynamexx Medieval and Byzantine History 11 October 30th, 2012 08:34 AM
Hunchback of Notre Dame Discovered crossroadclarence Art and Cultural History 7 August 19th, 2010 08:34 AM
Richard Ist Nicklord1 European History 17 January 9th, 2010 10:12 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.