Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Medieval and Byzantine History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Medieval and Byzantine History Medieval and Byzantine History Forum - Period of History between classical antiquity and modern times, roughly the 5th through 16th Centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1

Von Ranke's Avatar
aka Dita Von Teese
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Thistleland
Posts: 4,266
The battle of Tewkesbury 1471 Edward 1Vs finest hour?


In 1461 King Edward 1V annihilated the Lancastrian forces at the battle of Towton, which many historians consider the bloodiest battle ever to be fought on English soil, but in terms of significance for Edward's reign was it more important than Tewkesbury?
Von Ranke is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2

SPERRO's Avatar
Ex Cold War Warrior
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: North East England
Posts: 3,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Ranke View Post
In 1461 King Edward 1V annihilated the Lancastrian forces at the battle of Towton, which many historians consider the bloodiest battle ever to be fought on English soil, but in terms of significance for Edward's reign was it more important than Tewkesbury?
Yes, It was, because it "finalised" any further arguement (for the time being), regarding the English crown. Tewkesbury put the cap on it.
SPERRO is offline  
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #3

Von Ranke's Avatar
aka Dita Von Teese
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Thistleland
Posts: 4,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPERRO View Post
Yes, It was, because it "finalised" any further arguement (for the time being), regarding the English crown. Tewkesbury put the cap on it.
That was quick Sperro, and yes I agree that it won Edward the crown but in terms of medieval warfare you could argue that the Yorkists had all the luck on their side at Towton but Tewkesbury was a more equal contest and strategically Edward proved himself as the finest warrior king of the English medieval age.
Von Ranke is offline  
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4

SPERRO's Avatar
Ex Cold War Warrior
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: North East England
Posts: 3,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Ranke View Post
That was quick Sperro, and yes I agree that it won Edward the crown but in terms of medieval warfare you could argue that the Yorkists had all the luck on their side at Towton but Tewkesbury was a more equal contest and strategically Edward proved himself as the finest warrior king of the medieval age.
Iam in full agreement Von (because I was there luvvie), no only joking, it was a close run battle and the outcome was not cut and dried. The Lancastrians were playing a sneaky game hiding men in the woods etc. I would not necessarily agree that he was the finest warrior king, but maybe the one with most courage. this, in fact, is what I like about him.
SPERRO is offline  
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #5

Von Ranke's Avatar
aka Dita Von Teese
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Thistleland
Posts: 4,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPERRO View Post
Iam in full agreement Von (because I was there luvvie), no only joking, it was a close run battle and the outcome was not cut and dried. The Lancastrians were playing a sneaky game hiding men in the woods etc. I would not necessarily agree that he was the finest warrior king, but maybe the one with most courage. this, in fact, is what I like about him.
Remember me on Vaentine's day This was a kick off thread and although Towton was a massive victory which gave Edward the crown it never really settled anything. On the other hand Tewkesbury guaranteed the King a pain free twelve years. Queen Margaret's son was destroyed on the battlefield thus demolishing Lancastrian hopes of succession. Somerset was hauled out of sanctuary from Tewkesbury Abbey and executed and Henry V1 was done away with. On this basis I would argue that Tewkesbury, although not so bloody, was just as great a victory as Towton.
Von Ranke is offline  
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6

SPERRO's Avatar
Ex Cold War Warrior
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: North East England
Posts: 3,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Ranke View Post
Remember me on Vaentine's day This was a kick off thread and although Towton was a massive victory which gave Edward the crown it never really setted anything. On the other hand Tewkesbury guaranteed the King a pain free twelve years. Queen Margaret's son was destroyed on the battlefield thus demolishing Lancastrian hopes of succession. Somerset was hauled out of sanctuary from Tewkesbury Abbey and executed and Henry V1 was done away with. On this basis I would argue that Tewkesbury, although not so bloody, was just as great a victory as Towton.
before we go any further, Iam Richard III and not a HAM actor, my real name is Olivier darling

back to the Op. You are correct as far as Iam concerned on all points. Just a word about Tewkesbury abbey. The abbey was not, through an edict, able to provide sanctuary refuge for Somerset and the others who had sought it, and they were not safe even though they thought they were. On this basis, they were sumarily executed on the spot.

The battle was just as great a victory as Towton, because it finally put a lid on the Lancastrian problem. Bloody times required bloody solutions and, as distasteful as it appears to us today, it was necessary for stability within the kingdom. To kill the Serpent, cut off its head.
SPERRO is offline  
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7

Crystal Rainbow's Avatar
The Good Knight
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 9,986
Blog Entries: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Ranke View Post
In 1461 King Edward 1V annihilated the Lancastrian forces at the battle of Towton, which many historians consider the bloodiest battle ever to be fought on English soil, but in terms of significance for Edward's reign was it more important than Tewkesbury?
Hello, Von
Reporting for duty,
Tewkesbury was a battle, that altered a lot of things with Edward of Lancaster dead. It left Margaret Beaufort to move herself forward as a candidate for the Lancaster claim even when it was then such a distant dream.
It was time of peace, but not everybody was interested in that.
Crystal Rainbow is offline  
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #8

Von Ranke's Avatar
aka Dita Von Teese
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Thistleland
Posts: 4,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPERRO View Post
before we go any further, Iam Richard III and not a HAM actor, my real name is Olivier darling

back to the Op. You are correct as far as Iam concerned on all points. Just a word about Tewkesbury abbey. The abbey was not, through an edict, able to provide sanctuary refuge for Somerset and the others who had sought it, and they were not safe even though they thought they were. On this basis, they were sumarily executed on the spot.

The battle was just as great a victory as Towton, because it finally put a lid on the Lancastrian problem. Bloody times required bloody solutions and, as distasteful as it appears to us today, it was necessary for stability within the kingdom. To kill the Serpent, cut off its head.
Thanks for that Sperro. At Towton the luck went with the Yorkists as the Lancastrian archers messed up due to a heavy snowstorm and Edward took full advantage. Tewkesbury, in my opinion, showed Edward to be a brilliant soldier as he used the terrible terrain to his full advantage. Somerset was so frustrated at being out manoeuvered he actually, according to some sources, smashed the brains out of Sir John Wenock one of the Lancastrian's veteran soldiers. As you say Edward this time did not scotch the snake he killed it.
Von Ranke is offline  
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #9

SPERRO's Avatar
Ex Cold War Warrior
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: North East England
Posts: 3,324

This battle was the culmination of a "chase" up the Severn valley, Edward attempting to cut of the lancastrian line of march before they got back into the midlands and further north. Magaret could have decided this battle, through her army being fairly better positioned on the field. Edwards troops were exhausted, having marched all the way from London/windsor to catch them.

If the lancastrians had got into the north, the conflict may have continued indefinitely.
SPERRO is offline  
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #10

Von Ranke's Avatar
aka Dita Von Teese
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Thistleland
Posts: 4,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Rainbow View Post
Hello, Von
Reporting for duty,
Tewkesbury was a battle, that altered a lot of things with Edward of Lancaster dead. It left Margaret Beaufort to move herself forward as a candidate for the Lancaster claim even when it was then such a distant dream.
It was time of peace, but not everybody was interested in that.
Your welcome Corporal. I doubt however that Edward would have even considered Margaret Beaufort's son as a a seious threat to the Yorkist cause. I believe that the constant warfare of the Wars of the Roses had wiped out so much of the nobility that the crown became a possibility for the Tudor's. At the end of the day Henry was the last man standing. " A house divided against itself cannot stand ".
Von Ranke is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Medieval and Byzantine History

Tags
1471, 1vs, battle, edward, finest, hour, tewkesbury


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The battle of Tewkesbury, pt 2, the continuing saga of the wars of the Roses SPERRO Medieval and Byzantine History 89 August 10th, 2014 01:43 PM
The european resistance's finest hour? Toomtabard European History 38 December 27th, 2012 10:00 AM
The British empire in WW1, was it Britain finest hour? The Harlech man European History 30 December 17th, 2011 10:33 AM
WW2's Finest General? Marius War and Military History 164 March 2nd, 2011 03:16 AM
Finest Speeches General Michael Collins General History 44 February 5th, 2011 07:36 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.