Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Middle Eastern and African History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Middle Eastern and African History Middle Eastern and African History Forum - Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and all nations of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2017, 07:26 PM   #21

Kahu's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 737
Blog Entries: 1
Remembering Uganda under Idi Amin


In 1973, a white woman, a black man and two coffee-coloured, fuzzy-haired preschoolers began showing up at Sunday Mass in Oamaru.
Back then, the small South Island town was nearly all white, so the newly arrived interracial Nyika family was always going to stand out.
My father - one of the fuzzy-haired preschoolers - remembers open-mouthed ogling from locals and a country that was grey, cold and very, very different.
But it was safe.
Dad's family had just escaped Uganda during the dictatorship of Idi Amin, a man known as the Butcher of Uganda. The president who rose to power on his charm and charisma went on to torture, mutilate and eat his victims.
When my two brothers, my sister and I were little, we only caught fragments of the story that brought our father to New Zealand as a little boy.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/984...under-idi-amin
Kahu is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:26 AM   #22

Shtajerc's Avatar
last real Windischer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Lower Styria, Slovenia
Posts: 5,841

I think it was a bit similar with Mugabe. A very highly educated man with a great English pronunciation, a true gentleman that can easily charm you. But then you look at his actions after 1980 and the actions of his terrorists during the Bush War ... Nkomo always striked me as more of a brute while Mugabe was much more refined, which makes it even more twisted.
Shtajerc is offline  
Old November 6th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #23

Wound's Avatar
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Your heart
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarion View Post
In my 16 years at Customs and Border security the only white people I saw arriving in Australia with refugee paperwork were from Zimbabwe. They were left with nothing by Mugabe and his cohorts. One can point the finger at white Rhodesia and all its faults, but it was nothing like the fascist dictatorship that is Zimbabwe.
Rhodesia had some similar politic of retain the wealthy of people that was trying to leaving the country, I don't know any case like the one you are saying, but maybe that something the carried and got a little more extreme.

Even though I don't doubt you, cause of the Zimbabwe background and etc, that is an anecdote, doesn't really proves something.


______________
Mugabe government is collapsing they dismissed the vice president for not begin "loyal enough", there is now the case with the american girl that got 10 years in prison for twitte that Mugabe is a sick man


And as someone said saying that Rhodesia would work or would me better isn't a really good argument either. So if anyone knows more where I can find more about the history of that region(books, academics studies etc), pre-colonization, during- South Rhodesia and Rhodesia independent and maybe something that would be good to know about the current Zimbabwe. Please, share I will be glad.
Wound is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 01:25 AM   #24
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Benin City, Nigeria (originally)
Posts: 1,991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wound View Post
So if anyone knows more where I can find more about the history of that region(books, academics studies etc), pre-colonization, during- South Rhodesia and Rhodesia independent and maybe something that would be good to know about the current Zimbabwe. Please, share I will be glad.
You can start with the book A History of Zimbabwe (2014) by Alois Mlambo. It is a very informative book.
Ighayere is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 01:32 AM   #25
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Benin City, Nigeria (originally)
Posts: 1,991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtajerc View Post
Well, Rhodesians never die, I guess ...
From the picture you posted in that "member photo gallery" thread in the lounge section of the forum, I got the impression that you were young like me (I'm in my 20s), so it is surprising to read that you were a "Rhodesian". If you really were, then it does make the slant/bias more easily understandable.
Ighayere is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #26
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Benin City, Nigeria (originally)
Posts: 1,991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahu View Post
In 1973, a white woman, a black man and two coffee-coloured, fuzzy-haired preschoolers began showing up at Sunday Mass in Oamaru.
Back then, the small South Island town was nearly all white, so the newly arrived interracial Nyika family was always going to stand out.
My father - one of the fuzzy-haired preschoolers - remembers open-mouthed ogling from locals and a country that was grey, cold and very, very different.
But it was safe.
Dad's family had just escaped Uganda during the dictatorship of Idi Amin, a man known as the Butcher of Uganda. The president who rose to power on his charm and charisma went on to torture, mutilate and eat his victims.
When my two brothers, my sister and I were little, we only caught fragments of the story that brought our father to New Zealand as a little boy.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/984...under-idi-amin
There's no evidence that Amin was a cannibal. When he was asked if he ever ate human flesh he joked that he didn't because it was "too salty" for him. He didn't even take the idea seriously when he was alive so I'm not sure why people are always repeating this claim as if anything that actually proves it was ever found. I'm no fan of the guy but the constant repetition of this unsubstantiated claim is strange to me.
Ighayere is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:04 AM   #27

Shtajerc's Avatar
last real Windischer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Lower Styria, Slovenia
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ighayere View Post
From the picture you posted in that "member photo gallery" thread in the lounge section of the forum, I got the impression that you were young like me (I'm in my 20s), so it is surprising to read that you were a "Rhodesian". If you really were, then it does make the slant/bias more easily understandable.
Good eye, mate, yer right, I'm not. The spirit just lives on in the young generation, I guess. There's actually a lot of young people like me who are passionate about Rhodesia from all over the world, Canada, USA, Britain, South Africa, Poland, Czechia etc. Sadly there's some people among them who have quite extreme leanings (they want to slot all the flopoppies), most of us are more moderate, in just for the stories, the brushstroke cammo and stuff like that. Having a bias is hard to avoid sometimes, you know how that is. I asume you're African, you probably aren't the most unbiased in this debate either. Or perhaps you are, idk.





Btw, does anyone have any update on the current situation in Zim? They were on the verge of civil war a couple of days ago. Is it calm already?
Shtajerc is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #28
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: United States
Posts: 37

Rhodesia, like South Africa, was decent for black people when it was under British control. When the British left things went downhill for blacks pretty quickly.

The British were pretty racially progressive for their time period and prevented the white colonists from being as racially discriminatory as they wanted to be. South Africa gained some amount of independence in 1910, and within 3 years racist legislation began to be passed. Things got even worse after South Africa gained full independence in 1931, culminating in apartheid in 1948.

Part of the endless whining that Afrikaners have about the alleged oppression of the British is actually because the British weren't letting them oppress blacks as much as they wanted. (Even if they won't admit it.)

Last edited by Dude; November 10th, 2017 at 07:04 AM.
Dude is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #29
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Benin City, Nigeria (originally)
Posts: 1,991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Rhodesia, like South Africa, was decent for black people when it was under British control. When the British left things went downhill for blacks pretty quickly.

The British were pretty racially progressive for their time period and prevented the white colonists from being as racially discriminatory as they wanted to be. South Africa gained some amount of independence in 1910, and within 3 years racist legislation began to be passed. Things got even worse after South Africa gained full independence in 1931, culminating in apartheid in 1948.

Some people with a bit of a racist agenda like to point out that a lot of South Africa blacks aren't aren't native to the region and migrated there for economic opportunities. While this is true, what they fail to note is that these blacks came to live under the British racial system, not the South African apartheid system.
With regard to Rhodesia how is racially biased land distribution, moving blacks to the worst and most marginal lands, and taking deliberate steps to reduce black agriculturalists' ability to compete or keep up economically, "racially progressive"?
Ighayere is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #30
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: United States
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ighayere View Post
With regard to Rhodesia how is racially biased land distribution, moving blacks to the worst and most marginal lands, and taking deliberate steps to reduce black agriculturalists' ability to compete or keep up economically, "racially progressive"?
Maybe I'm wrong about Rhodesia. But at least in South Africa there was an extremely clear tendency for things to go downhill for black people as declononization occurred.
Dude is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Middle Eastern and African History

Tags
rhodesia, unsure



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rhodesia Shtajerc Middle Eastern and African History 33 June 20th, 2017 02:50 AM
Rhodesia Macconermaoile Middle Eastern and African History 2 April 6th, 2017 06:09 AM
Life in Rhodesia? gladiatrice Middle Eastern and African History 9 March 19th, 2015 05:24 AM
Rhodesia and it's military Menshevik War and Military History 7 May 3rd, 2014 05:48 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.