Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Middle Eastern and African History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Middle Eastern and African History Middle Eastern and African History Forum - Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and all nations of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Amarna Period Phaoroahs DNA results


Link to PDF

Quote:
Geographical analysis of the Amarna mummies was performed using their autosomal STR profiles based on 8 tested loci. 4

Results are summarized in Table 1 and illustrated in Figure 1. Maps for
individual Amarna mummies are included in Figures 2-8 in the Appendix.

Discussion: Average MLI scores in Table 1 indicate the STR profiles of the Amarna mummies would be most frequent in present day populations of several African regions: including the Southern African (average MLI 326.94), African Great Lakes (average MLI 323.76), and Tropical West African (average MLI 83.74) regions.

These regional matches do not necessarily indicate an exclusively African ancestry for the Amarna pharaonic family. However, results indicate these ancient individuals inherited some alleles that today are more frequent in populations of Africa than in other parts of the world (such as D18S51=19 and D21S11=34).
Click the image to open in full size.

It surprised me to see how low in comparison the Horn African samples came in compared to other inner African regions. This findings of Southern African genetic affinity however is not entire out of place as many scholars have postulated based on mounds of archaeological evidence that the ancient Egyptians were came from the southern regions of Africa:

Quote:
On this basis, many have postulated that the Badarians are relatives to South African populations (Morant, 1935 G. Morant, A study of predynastic Egyptian skulls from Badari based on measurements taken by Miss BN Stoessiger and Professor DE Derry, Biometrika 27 (1935), pp. 293–309.Morant, 1935; Mukherjee et al., 1955; Irish and Konigsberg, 2007). The archaeological evidence points to this relationship as well. (Hassan, 1986) and (Hassan, 1988) noted similarities between Badarian pottery and the Neolithic Khartoum type, indicating an archaeological affinity among Badarians and Africans from more southern regions. Furthermore, like the Badarians, Naqada has also been classified with other African groups, namely the Teita (Crichton, 1996; Keita, 1990).

Nutter (1958) noted affinities between the Badarian and Naqada samples, a feature that Strouhal (1971) attributed to their skulls possessing “Negroid” traits. Keita (1992), using craniometrics, discovered that the Badarian series is distinctly different from the later Egyptian series, a conclusion that is mostly confirmed here. In the current analysis, the Badari sample more closely clusters with the Naqada sample and the Kerma sample. However, it also groups with the later pooled sample from Dynasties XVIII–XXV. -- Godde K. (2009) An Examination of Nubian and Egyptian biological distances: Support for biological diffusion or in situ development? Homo. 2009;60(5):389-404.
and

Click the image to open in full size.

I think that this affinity comes most from the Nilotic origins that many people seem to neglect. I can't lie though, the finding of close affinity to the given regions have really the shocked the Hell out of me. The close West African affinity of these populations is not too far fetched when one considered the fact that King Tut died of sickle Cell Anemia (which came from West Africa):

Click the image to open in full size.

IMO more work should be done with the full availability of alleles, to really test this out. The fact that each mummy closed closest affinity towards inner African populations, absolutely refutes the Eurocentric notion that the ancient Egyptians were not black Africans.
King is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #2

ib-issi's Avatar
>>Its Just Passing Time<<
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: just sitting here
Posts: 3,005

I know i am going to regret asking this question , and showing my ignorance on this subject , but here goes anyway :-

What is the reason that Asians are not included in the list, indo-european languages are all over the area , how come no asian genes?

It is going to have been too simple to suspect that the name for the warring bands we here about in the Amarna times , could have become conquerers of the egyptians and been known as Bad-Aryans , so where did the name Badari come from.

Sorry about the stupid questions , but i come to learn ,so need to ask.
ib-issi is offline  
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib-issi View Post
What is the reason that Asians are not included in the list, indo-european languages are all over the area , how come no asian genes?
That list are the populations whom the ancient Egyptian samples showed affinities towards. Make no mistake that this was entered in a world wide database. This genetic analysis is one of the few who actually take into account indigenous African genetic diversity (which is the greatest on Earth), rather than taking only one sample from south of the Sahara and falsely trying to make it representative for such a genetically rich region. As result various inner African populations overwhelmingly show closest affinities towards the pharaohs, and non Africans have neglectable amounts (if any).

Quote:
It is going to have been too simple to suspect that the name for the warring bands we here about in the Amarna times , could have become conquerers of the egyptians and been known as Bad-Aryans , so where did the name Badari come from.
The Badarians were Pre-Dynastic Upper Egyptians who are from a much earlier time period in Egyptian history (time directly leading to the establishment of Dynastic Egypt) than these New Kingdom samples. The notion that the Egyptians were somehow non African (and in-directly non black) in origin has been discredited for decades now, with all the available new research on the subject. The second study above also details that these early ancient Egyptians (and the Egyptians of Amarna period times) displayed overlapping Negroid affinities in phenotype.

Quote:
Sorry about the stupid questions , but i come to learn ,so need to ask.
I have no problem with questions.
King is offline  
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207

Really good info,there is some talk about this in the other thread too.

http://www.historum.com/middle-easte...tml#post897196
mace1 is offline  
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #5

cachibatches's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,556

Interesting. Any additions or updates since initially posted?
cachibatches is offline  
Old September 16th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #6

ib-issi's Avatar
>>Its Just Passing Time<<
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: just sitting here
Posts: 3,005

Cush was translated as Ethiopia in the septuagint. it seems it may be doubtful that these translators actually meant , what we now understand as Ethnic/indigenous African Ethiopians,
Eusebius says (chron.adnum.402 ) the Ethiopians came to settle in Egypt in the time of Amenophis (Amen-of-Isis = God men of ISIS ) and were allowed to settle to the south of Egypt.
Philostratus (Vita Appolon Tyanei ) Says " there was no country called Ethiopia beyond Egypt in Africa before this time " ( E = female Goddess the IO of IA or poss EA)

again Eusabius says "they came from India (river Indus ) and stopped to the South of Egypt ", and Herodotus says " that there were two Ethiop nations at this time , one in Egypt, and one in India , he says he got this informaton from Egyptian Priests "

Philostratus says (vita Apoll.Chapv1) the gymnosophists of Ethiopia who settled near the source of the Nile ,were descended from Brahmins , who were driven out for murdering their King. (crawfordRes.vol ii. p.193 )Philostratus says he learned this from a Brahmin called Jarchas.

Eusabius also says the Ethiopians came from India, Higgins (Annacalpsis vol.i.page 32) and says" this is going to be the time when Ancient Indian/brahm ,rites and ceremonies were imported in from Indus to both Egypt and Africa.

Last edited by ib-issi; September 16th, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
ib-issi is offline  
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7

cachibatches's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,556

Wanted to bump this because I have been looking at it and cannot find a lot of discussion.

I have always thought that 18th dynasty was Nubian, but I have some questions about this study.

1) Would Nubian DNA be related to the great lakes region?

2) I have been reading that there was also South and West African DNA found. How does this make sense?

3) If this group, DNA Tribes, got access to these mummies, why is this not bigger news?

Could someone with the knowing of it fill in some of these blanks for me?
cachibatches is offline  
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Lecturer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 256

What do you mean by "Nubian" DNA, would'nt the DNA of Nubians be similar to the Egyptians considering the proximity..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Wanted to bump this because I have been looking at it and cannot find a lot of discussion.

I have always thought that 18th dynasty was Nubian, but I have some questions about this study.

1) Would Nubian DNA be related to the great lakes region?

2) I have been reading that there was also South and West African DNA found. How does this make sense?

3) If this group, DNA Tribes, got access to these mummies, why is this not bigger news?

Could someone with the knowing of it fill in some of these blanks for me?
Jari is offline  
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Lecturer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 256

Interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib-issi View Post
Cush was translated as Ethiopia in the septuagint. it seems it may be doubtful that these translators actually meant , what we now understand as Ethnic/indigenous African Ethiopians,
Eusebius says (chron.adnum.402 ) the Ethiopians came to settle in Egypt in the time of Amenophis (Amen-of-Isis = God men of ISIS ) and were allowed to settle to the south of Egypt.
Philostratus (Vita Appolon Tyanei ) Says " there was no country called Ethiopia beyond Egypt in Africa before this time " ( E = female Goddess the IO of IA or poss EA)

again Eusabius says "they came from India (river Indus ) and stopped to the South of Egypt ", and Herodotus says " that there were two Ethiop nations at this time , one in Egypt, and one in India , he says he got this informaton from Egyptian Priests "

Philostratus says (vita Apoll.Chapv1) the gymnosophists of Ethiopia who settled near the source of the Nile ,were descended from Brahmins , who were driven out for murdering their King. (crawfordRes.vol ii. p.193 )Philostratus says he learned this from a Brahmin called Jarchas.

Eusabius also says the Ethiopians came from India, Higgins (Annacalpsis vol.i.page 32) and says" this is going to be the time when Ancient Indian/brahm ,rites and ceremonies were imported in from Indus to both Egypt and Africa.
Jari is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Middle Eastern and African History

Tags
amarna, dna, period, phaoroahs, results


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Results of WWI bornwith War and Military History 41 September 27th, 2011 09:50 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.