Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Middle Eastern and African History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Middle Eastern and African History Middle Eastern and African History Forum - Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and all nations of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #1

SafavideIrani's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
From: I am a native of Rasht in Iran, but i live in Denmark.
Posts: 973
A old Persian dialect barely understood by other Persians


The Zoroastrian communities of Yazd and Kerman speak a Persian dialect called ''Dari'' (Not the same as the Persian dialect spoken in Afghanistan) which is also known as Gabri, something tells me that ''Dari'' is a Arabized version of it, since Arabs can not say ''G''.

The language is probably derived from Middle Persian with some Avestan influence (because the people of Kerman and Yazd were very much devout to Zoroastrianism before the Muslim conquest of Iran and still are today, meaning that they probably knew Avestan very well which was a sacred language of the Avesta, it is amazing how they remembered both their religion and language.)

The Kurds, Zazas, and Balochis understand this language much more easier than the Persian spoken today, while the Persians of Iran have a hard time understanding it, sadly the speakers of this language are getting lower and lower.

Some weeks ago i saw a video where they made fun of several languages and different dialects of Iran, including Gabri, but i can't find it anymore.

So what do you guys think about this??

Last edited by SafavideIrani; September 13th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
SafavideIrani is offline  
Remove Ads
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2

Ayazid's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafavideIrani View Post
The Zoroastrian communities of Yazd and Kerman speak a Persian dialect called ''Dari'' (Not the same as the Persian dialect spoken in Afghanistan) which is also known as Gabri, something tells me that ''Dari'' is a Arabized version of it, since Arabs can not say ''G''.
An arabized version of the word "Gabri" would be probably "Jabri", definitely not "Dari". "G" from non-Arabic words generally passed as "J", "Q" or" "Gh" to Arabic. Also, if I am not mistaken this Persian word is already derived from the Arabic word "Kafir" ("unbeliever").
Ayazid is offline  
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2013
From: South Korea (A Marxist-Leninist country based in Seoul) / originally from Toronto
Posts: 1,973
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafavideIrani View Post
So what do you guys think about this??
I think it's very fascinating. A very isolated Iranian language with unique features.
needstablity is offline  
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #4

hazratemahmood's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Karaj, Iran
Posts: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafavideIrani View Post
The Zoroastrian communities of Yazd and Kerman speak a Persian dialect called ''Dari'' (Not the same as the Persian dialect spoken in Afghanistan) which is also known as Gabri, something tells me that ''Dari'' is a Arabized version of it, since Arabs can not say ''G''.
Gabr is a religious connotation meaning Zoroastrian, while Dari is actually the name of the Persian language in use today (or it should be).

Quote:
The language is probably derived from Middle Persian with some Avestan influence (because the people of Kerman and Yazd were very much devout to Zoroastrianism before the Muslim conquest of Iran and still are today, meaning that they probably knew Avestan very well which was a sacred language of the Avesta, it is amazing how they remembered both their religion and language.)

The Kurds, Zazas, and Balochis understand this language much more easier than the Persian spoken today, while the Persians of Iran have a hard time understanding it, sadly the speakers of this language are getting lower and lower.

So what do you guys think about this??
The language is classified as Northwestern Iranian, so it is not a dialect of Persian and was not derived from Middle Persian. What I do not understand is why it is not called Pahlavi/Fahlavi or perhaps Shahri by its speakers. Its name is a very curious one.
hazratemahmood is offline  
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #5

SafavideIrani's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
From: I am a native of Rasht in Iran, but i live in Denmark.
Posts: 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazratemahmood View Post
Gabr is a religious connotation meaning Zoroastrian, while Dari is actually the name of the Persian language in use today (or it should be).


The language is classified as Northwestern Iranian, so it is not a dialect of Persian and was not derived from Middle Persian. What I do not understand is why it is not called Pahlavi/Fahlavi or perhaps Shahri by its speakers. Its name is a very curious one.
It is probably classified as Northwestern Iranian because it is very much close to other northwestern languages, but so was Persian before it got influenced by other languages.
SafavideIrani is offline  
Old September 14th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #6

hazratemahmood's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Karaj, Iran
Posts: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafavideIrani View Post
It is probably classified as Northwestern Iranian because it is very much close to other northwestern languages, but so was Persian before it got influenced by other languages.
Ok, no. Persian diverged from the main body of the Iranian languages in a process which took approximately 3000 years. By the time Middle Persian came into being there were already Northwestern and Southwestern families in the Iranian languages. So the Kermani dialect (based on my knowledge of a few words) cannot be a southwestern language and is not a dialect of Persian (derived from Middle Persian).
hazratemahmood is offline  
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #7

Essa's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Bahrain
Posts: 1,942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayazid View Post
An arabized version of the word "Gabri" would be probably "Jabri", definitely not "Dari". "G" from non-Arabic words generally passed as "J", "Q" or" "Gh" to Arabic. Also, if I am not mistaken this Persian word is already derived from the Arabic word "Kafir" ("unbeliever").
Agree with Ayazid here.....if the correct word is "Dari" then Arabs would most likely spell it the same since the letter "D" is present in both languages....But if its originally a "Gabri", then Yes, it would mostly be Jabri, Qabri, or Ghabri in Arabic....

Being a derivation from the word "Kafir" is a possibility but a native speaker or an Irani anthropolgist could confirm that....
Essa is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Middle Eastern and African History

Tags
barely, dialect, persian, persians, understand, understood



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wu Dialect and the Miao Language Zoopiter Asian History 11 February 24th, 2014 11:51 AM
Thomas Jefferson UNDERSTOOD Apocrypha8 American History 18 January 28th, 2013 06:19 AM
Is Persian S -->> H, a false notion ? Persians rendered the Scythians' name as Sakā ! Moar Ancient History 3 November 5th, 2012 08:04 PM
The spider cousins have barely changed in 305 million years Thessalonian Natural Environment 0 August 30th, 2011 09:14 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.