Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Natural Environment
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Natural Environment How Human History has been impacted by the environment, science, nature, geography, weather, and natural phenomena


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1

Cavanboy's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,714
Need help identifying UFO


Last night when I was laying in bed looking out the window at the stars in the night sky I moved my eyes over to a certain cluster of what I perceived to be just stars, then all of a sudden one of them started moving across and then diagonally straight down, it Cleared my field of view within about 30-45 seconds, it wasnt bright, it was dimly lit like the other stars and made no noise at all so I don't think it was a plane which usually fly directly over my house on a different flight path.

What are your suggestions or thoughts on what this could be?
Cavanboy is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #2

okamido's Avatar
knows what the bee knows
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: land of Califia
Posts: 27,854
Blog Entries: 19

I would have normally said meteroids, as the Leonids are really active this November.
okamido is offline  
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3

Cavanboy's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by okamido View Post
I would have normally said meteroids, as the Leonids are really active this November.
I thought that to from it's flight path but don't meteoroids have tales on them?
Cavanboy is offline  
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #4

Cavanboy's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,714

Also are the leonids visible from Western Australia?
Cavanboy is offline  
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #5

okamido's Avatar
knows what the bee knows
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: land of Califia
Posts: 27,854
Blog Entries: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanboy View Post
I thought that to from it's flight path but don't meteoroids have tales on them?
I tracked one for over a minute in Northern California that had no tail, so I don't think it is a prerequisite.....but I really am an amatuer when it comes to this.
okamido is offline  
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #6

okamido's Avatar
knows what the bee knows
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: land of Califia
Posts: 27,854
Blog Entries: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanboy View Post
Also are the leonids visible from Western Australia?
I did a quick Google search and it seems that they are visible in Australia, but you might want to double check, cross-referencing the times that they can best be seen, to when you saw what you saw.
okamido is offline  
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

As it has already been identified here, guess it's a "UFO" no more...
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 9,389
Blog Entries: 13

How to recognize a UFO? Once you recognize it, it becomes a IFO [Identified Flying Object].

A part this linguistic detail, from my experience [I was ufologist] I tend to agree with the idea of the meteorite. According to dimension and composition, trajectory and velocity, of the object it can appear simply as a moving star [a "falling star"] without a so evident queue / tail in the sky.

In case of doubt a first check can be what instruments [overall radars] of airports or military bases in the area have or not detected. A meteorite passing over our heads at a very high altitude can look even slow and we can imagine something flying at lower altitude at moderate speed, while the meteorite is probably moving at a speed higher than the orbital speed of the ISS ...
AlpinLuke is offline  
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #9

Cavanboy's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
How to recognize a UFO? Once you recognize it, it becomes a IFO [Identified Flying Object].

A part this linguistic detail, from my experience [I was ufologist] I tend to agree with the idea of the meteorite. According to dimension and composition, trajectory and velocity, of the object it can appear simply as a moving star [a "falling star"] without a so evident queue / tail in the sky.

In case of doubt a first check can be what instruments [overall radars] of airports or military bases in the area have or not detected. A meteorite passing over our heads at a very high altitude can look even slow and we can imagine something flying at lower altitude at moderate speed, while the meteorite is probably moving at a speed higher than the orbital speed of the ISS ...
Ahh I see, well I thought even if a UFO had been witnessed it still remained a UFO until it was positively identified as a certain object? And that's very interesting about meteorites, all my past experiences with them I have only seen then with tales but it does explain a lot! Thanks !
Cavanboy is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #10

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 9,389
Blog Entries: 13

I think that you could see something similar in this collection of NASA videos from the orbit. They are "real" UFO sights. Some of them can be explained, some others ...

AlpinLuke is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Natural Environment

Tags
identifying, ufo


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help identifying this missile jayhawker War and Military History 21 October 10th, 2012 07:14 AM
Identifying the Enemy SPERRO Ancient History 3 April 5th, 2012 08:17 PM
Help with Identifying Nazi Picture Flyingbrad History Help 4 December 22nd, 2010 08:33 PM
help in identifying medieval soldier Ana Middle Eastern and African History 35 October 1st, 2010 12:46 PM
Help identifying Egyptian Statue Tempestormer Ancient History 11 January 28th, 2010 10:54 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.