Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #31

Rodger's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: US
Posts: 2,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeacerix the Gaul View Post
Maybe now a new variable caused by recent events have contribute to the level of depression?

The new generation is open to mental illness and suicide awareness. Maybe it has to do with the destigmatation of suicide and we are heading more of it now than before where suicide attempters were afraid of speaking out?
Good point. In the past, there was a sense of, not to embarrass your family name. And outside forces, like church, may have kept some from proceeding. We live in a very "it's about me" centered world today, at least relatively speaking. There are few, to no stigmas. While some stigmas are unfair, there is another side to that sword: some keep our selfish And foolish impulses in check.
Rodger is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 9th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #32
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: USA
Posts: 2,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeacerix the Gaul View Post
Maybe now a new variable caused by recent events have contribute to the level of depression?

The new generation is open to mental illness and suicide awareness. Maybe it has to do with the destigmatation of suicide and we are heading more of it now than before where suicide attempters were afraid of speaking out?
Often suicide statistics are grossly misinterpreted. A couple months ago social media was awash with "22 a Day", supposedly 22 military veterans were killing themselves a day, and everyone assumed it was us Global War on Terror veterans, who are all full of PTSD and crazy. But the reality is that the statistic is wrong, and old, and deals with the Cold War generations, most of whom are in their 50-70s, who never served in combat, who are just offing themselves because that's what a lot of old people do who are tired of living to older, more painful age.
aggienation is offline  
Old November 9th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #33

VHS's Avatar
VHS
Viable Human Solutions
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: Human habitat of Canada
Posts: 2,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Good point. In the past, there was a sense of, not to embarrass your family name. And outside forces, like church, may have kept some from proceeding. We live in a very "it's about me" centered world today, at least relatively speaking. There are few, to no stigmas. While some stigmas are unfair, there is another side to that sword: some keep our selfish And foolish impulses in check.
Please quit the nostalgia trap.
You are probably portraying what Stephenie Coontz called The Way We Never Were.
VHS is offline  
Old November 9th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #34
Suspended until January 28th, 2017
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: In the bag of ecstatic squirt
Posts: 14,979

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vietnamese View Post
Because they have never lived in Vietnam as a poor ass bitch who has to study and work like a horse to enjoy the happy little meals that could be barely considered as foods in other countries and KFC is considered as luxury food and lives in a small apartment with no hope to buy a real house because even a small house costs something like 20 or 30 years of working while breathing the filthy dirty air in the city that gonna destroys your lungs faster than you can count to 3 and everything is all fun with our "good" neighboring country, the glorious China, who keeps sending more poisonous foods for us to consume and kidnaps our women and babies.

Lack of hope? More like being a pussy.
I need not add about the Philippines.

I think however that what deteriorates among the people of the rich nations and their failure to communicate to each other. I poor nations like yours and mine, folks still talk in the streets and you still can tell your problems to you parents who are there before you sleep as growing human.

Not really lack of hope, but lack of fellow being to express ones humanity.
dagul is offline  
Old November 9th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #35
Suspended until January 28th, 2017
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: In the bag of ecstatic squirt
Posts: 14,979

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkin View Post
I am in agreement. When life is a struggle just to eat, suicide is not a consideration because you are occupied with survival.

The biggest cause of suicide is a life without adversity or purpose.
Not really, the biggest cause of suicide is insanity because you have no one to talk with.
dagul is offline  
Old November 9th, 2016, 11:46 PM   #36

VHS's Avatar
VHS
Viable Human Solutions
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: Human habitat of Canada
Posts: 2,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vietnamese View Post
Because they have never lived in Vietnam as a poor ass bitch who has to study and work like a horse to enjoy the happy little meals that could be barely considered as foods in other countries and KFC is considered as luxury food and lives in a small apartment with no hope to buy a real house because even a small house costs something like 20 or 30 years of working while breathing the filthy dirty air in the city that gonna destroys your lungs faster than you can count to 3 and everything is all fun with our "good" neighboring country, the glorious China, who keeps sending more poisonous foods for us to consume and kidnaps our women and babies.

Lack of hope? More like being a pussy.
Should I mention the basa fillets and steaks that are from Vietnam? Some mention the aquacultural practices for producing basa are quite notorious as well.
Would you say Vietnam is poisoning the world?
Food safety is a major issue today.
VHS is offline  
Old December 29th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #37
Archivist
 
Joined: Dec 2014
From: United States
Posts: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggienation View Post
You get married because you're creating a life contract with another person. It involves not only love and vows of monogamy and loyalty (good luck with a long term relationship without a commitment), it involves a partnership in finances and property (combining households). It involves a division of labor (no longer one person needed to do everything around the domicile, two or more can split it). It involves the responsible raising of children needed to continue the culture, 2 surviving children are needed to sustain, >2.5 are needed to expand.
Was the historical definition of marriage the same as modern times? The dictionary definition of marriage is this.

Quote:
any of the diverse forms of interpersonal union established in various parts of the world to form a familial bond that is recognized legally, religiously, or socially, granting the participating partners mutual conjugal rights and responsibilities
HowlingWolf500 is offline  
Old December 29th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #38
Scholar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
From: England
Posts: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagul View Post
Not really, the biggest cause of suicide is insanity because you have no one to talk with.
Or perhaps the people you talk to (via social media) are only people with similar thoughts and ideas of suicide.
dreuxeng is offline  
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #39

Rodger's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: US
Posts: 2,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS View Post
Please quit the nostalgia trap.
You are probably portraying what Stephenie Coontz called The Way We Never Were.
What do you know about living in America in the 1950s, 60s and 70s? Were you there? If not, please keep your ignorant remarks to yourself. I will comment anyway I please. I have no idea who you are referencing. You seem to be full of opinions and short on real ideas. Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited by Rodger; December 29th, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
Rodger is offline  
Old December 29th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #40

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Canada
Posts: 3,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS View Post
Should I mention the basa fillets and steaks that are from Vietnam? Some mention the aquacultural practices for producing basa are quite notorious as well.
Would you say Vietnam is poisoning the world?
Food safety is a major issue today.
The Chinese brand is perceived very negatively in Vietnam. Nothing triggers as much negative emotion and hatred in Vietnam than China and Chinese.
YouLoveMeYouKnowIt is online now  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
america, live, young



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Young Princes Live GunslingerPoetStudent Speculative History 0 September 13th, 2015 01:49 PM
Why do some young people isolate themselves? Jake10 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 11 November 30th, 2011 04:10 PM
The natives of america who decided to live like white people.... backstabber History Help 6 December 19th, 2009 06:17 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.