Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:47 AM   #1
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Pomerium
Posts: 560
Icing on the cake for an alliance?


Given shared interests and common foes, what's the icing on the cake for a more enduring international alliance?

I have a list, please expand -
cultural affinity, preferably linguistic affinity ‎as well
geographic non-contiguity, preferably great distance
ideological compatibility
Fenestella is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 3rd, 2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Northern part of European lowland
Posts: 2,281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenestella View Post
Given shared interests and common foes, what's the icing on the cake for a more enduring international alliance?

I have a list, please expand -
cultural affinity, preferably linguistic affinity ‎as well
geographic non-contiguity, preferably great distance
ideological compatibility
Those factors does not mean alliance, they have often coincided with hostillities and even many wars. Not least civil wars, most european wars and wars about colonies and wars of independence so far as the population of the "rebel" colonies had a significant element of immigrants.
Fantasus is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Dispargum
Posts: 2,362

Not only shared interests but also a lack of competing interests.

Necessity and utility. Each member of an alliance must need the other and each member of the alliance must be able to make a contribution toward the common goal or against the common threat.
Chlodio is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:41 PM   #4

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 30,661

The USA and Saudi Arabia have been allies for a long time. Cultural, linguistic and ideological compatibility?
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:42 PM   #5

Rodger's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: US
Posts: 4,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298 View Post
The USA and Saudi Arabia have been allies for a long time. Cultural, linguistic and ideological compatibility?
So then, self preservation? Just like in politics. After all, they say politics makes strange bedfellows. I guess national alliances do as well.
Rodger is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: uk
Posts: 1,913

Trust. Also making sure you something to share with each other, whether that be material or intelligence.
paranoid marvin is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:16 PM   #7

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 30,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
So then, self preservation? Just like in politics. After all, they say politics makes strange bedfellows. I guess national alliances do as well.
I'd call it a "convergence of interest".
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:21 PM   #8

Rodger's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: US
Posts: 4,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid marvin View Post
Trust. Also making sure you something to share with each other, whether that be material or intelligence.
I am not sure how much the U.K. and the U.S. trusted the USSR, and vice-versa during WWII.
Rodger is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2016, 08:13 PM   #9
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Pomerium
Posts: 560

Shared interests and common foe are the cake.
The icing on the cakecould be any of -
cultural affinity, preferably linguistic affinity ‎as well
geographic non-contiguity, preferably great distance
ideological compatibility -
not necessarily all of them
Fenestella is offline  
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:11 AM   #10

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 30,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenestella View Post
Shared interests and common foe are the cake.
The icing on the cakecould be any of -
cultural affinity, preferably linguistic affinity ‎as well
geographic non-contiguity, preferably great distance
ideological compatibility -
not necessarily all of them
So why is one icing and one cake? Who decides what's icing? What type of icing? Vanilla or chocolate? And what about the filling? What if you don't like cake?
Naomasa298 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
alliance, cake, icing



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Russian/Swedish Empire Alliance vs Qing/Tokugawa/Joseon Alliance FailWhale Speculative History 21 February 7th, 2018 12:28 AM
Which takes the cake? Isoroku295 War and Military History 34 January 10th, 2011 04:14 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.