Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #1

VHS's Avatar
VHS
Viable Holistic Solutions
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: An inconsequital planet
Posts: 3,270
Is the end of employments really likely?


Jeremy Rifkin wrote a book called The End of Work: The Decline of the Global Labor Force and the Dawn of the Post-Market Era in 1995.
Remember, 20 years is a short period in historical sense.
Should we look at certain jobs that are gone already? As I state in another thread, competing with robots for precision and speed is pointless.
What are the human advantages over robots?
Even relatively professional fields such as nursing, caretakers, accounting, pharmacy, and more, are likely to be replaced by robots.
Modern medical practitioners take pride in their equipment; ironically, do this fact also means that they can be replaced by robots?
Some suggest spiritual and artistic paths to lives, and how suitable are these for all people?
VHS is offline  
Remove Ads
Old March 26th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,369

No there is no End of Employment, end of employment as we know it maybe.

A lot of employment is inefficient and does more harm than good in the west, with a reasonably structured economy the 3 day working week could be a real thing. A lot of scarcity is artificially constructed as well, we are living in a pretty rich era.

However most people and society is extremely to ready for this.
pugsville is online now  
Old March 26th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #3

Menshevik's Avatar
VIVE L' EMPEREUR
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: The People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Posts: 8,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsville View Post
No there is no End of Employment, end of employment as we know it maybe.

A lot of employment is inefficient and does more harm than good in the west, with a reasonably structured economy the 3 day working week could be a real thing. A lot of scarcity is artificially constructed as well, we are living in a pretty rich era.

However most people and society is extremely to ready for this.
Could you give some examples of this artificial scarcity?
Menshevik is online now  
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menshevik View Post
Could you give some examples of this artificial scarcity?
Intellectual Property rights. We could have every published book freely available to everyone. Every piece of Music, Every Film, Every piece of software. It all could be available.

Performance pricing of Microchips where the difference between a fast chip and a slow chip is the slow chip has a bit switched to make it slow.
pugsville is online now  
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #5

Menshevik's Avatar
VIVE L' EMPEREUR
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: The People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Posts: 8,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsville View Post
Intellectual Property rights. We could have every published book freely available to everyone. Every piece of Music, Every Film, Every piece of software. It all could be available.

Performance pricing of Microchips where the difference between a fast chip and a slow chip is the slow chip has a bit switched to make it slow.
The second example seems valid. But I don't see how making music and other media freely available is going to really help people in need of jobs, housing, food, education, etc.
Menshevik is online now  
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menshevik View Post
The second example seems valid. But I don't see how making music and other media freely available is going to really help people in need of jobs, housing, food, education, etc.
Freely available books wont help with education? Documentaries? Software?

IP laws create artificial scarcity. Thats more or less a fact.I don't deny it's challenging area. But the cost of producing 1 digital copy is pretty close to giving everyone one of the plant access to a copy. Just say we had a a magic economic system for the sake of argument if everyone goethe same return for IP rights and everything was universally available, would we as a society not be richer?

With 3D printing advancing, it's growing issue which can more and more be applied to physical objects.
pugsville is online now  
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #7

Menshevik's Avatar
VIVE L' EMPEREUR
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: The People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Posts: 8,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsville View Post
Freely available books wont help with education? Documentaries? Software?

IP laws create artificial scarcity. Thats more or less a fact.I don't deny it's challenging area. But the cost of producing 1 digital copy is pretty close to giving everyone one of the plant access to a copy. Just say we had a a magic economic system for the sake of argument if everyone goethe same return for IP rights and everything was universally available, would we as a society not be richer?

With 3D printing advancing, it's growing issue which can more and more be applied to physical objects.
Housing is expensive and it's something we all truly need. Now, is the price of a modest home something that is being artificially inflated? If so, how can that be fixed?
Menshevik is online now  
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #8
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menshevik View Post
Housing is expensive and it's something we all truly need. Now, is the price of a modest home something that is being artificially inflated? If so, how can that be fixed?
the removal of Real estate agents? their job is to make houses more expensive.

The development, allocation of housing is the main of a number of specialists developers/real estate agents/bankers who had averted interest in making the price as high as possible.

The Actual costs of construction is actually a small part of the cost of housing.
pugsville is online now  
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #9

The Keen Edge's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: United States, MO
Posts: 402

yes, automation could already replace most fast food jobs too if someone just developed the robot to do it. It wouldnt take anything too complicated though. However, I think that it would take longer for ai to actually provide the level of service that humans do in roles like waiting on tables or helping a clientvopen a bank account. I mean just look at siri. she is not ready to wait on a table because for one she lacks eyes and cannot read facial expressions and body language. And she can also have trouble with indirect implied meanings in sentences. A customer could say, "yes, thats fine."
in both a pleasant or a rude way, but I dont think siri can tell the difference. However, the robots will likely all make us obsolete one day.
The Keen Edge is offline  
Old March 27th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #10

Vladd's Avatar
vincit omnia veritas
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: England
Posts: 5,549
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsville View Post
Intellectual Property rights. We could have every published book freely available to everyone. Every piece of Music, Every Film, Every piece of software. It all could be available.

Performance pricing of Microchips where the difference between a fast chip and a slow chip is the slow chip has a bit switched to make it slow.
If it is freely available just how are musicians, film makers, actors, programmers etc expected to live? Without some sort of income a lot of such things would not be produced. Or do you think these would all be made out of love of the arts?
Vladd is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
employments, end



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.