Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #11

VHS's Avatar
VHS
Viable Holistic Solutions
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: An inconsequital planet
Posts: 3,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficino View Post
I'm not sure what you wanted to mean, when I was in primary school we received marks, in theory from 1 to 10 though in practice they were usually from 4 to 10, now they are replaced by a few grades/scores (almost everybody receives the best grade/score, supposedly in order to avoid traumatizing the children slower in learning), and even these grades/scores are called into question (and already renounced in certain countries, as I know very well).
I mean that we are more aware of bullying and other abuses that children may face today.
As for academic competency at the grade level, North American students learn relatively little in comparison with most Chinese students; our only area of advantage is English literacy.
Then, the suggested 42% of adult functional illiteracy rate in Canada, which usually means adults who with English literacy skills below Grade 8, is somehow alarming.
One suggestion about Chinese education: the students are crammed with excessive skills and abilities too early, and much of the materials are irrelevant to real life.
Should we render our education more relevant?
VHS is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #12
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Romania
Posts: 5,896

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS View Post
I mean that we are more aware of bullying and other abuses that children may face today.
As for academic competency at the grade level, North American students learn relatively little in comparison with most Chinese students; our only area of advantage is English literacy.
Then, the suggested 42% of adult functional illiteracy rate in Canada, which usually means adults who with English literacy skills below Grade 8, is somehow alarming.
One suggestion about Chinese education: the students are crammed with excessive skills and abilities too early, and much of the materials are irrelevant to real life.
Should we render our education more relevant?
My apologies, but your English is not much comprehensible to me, so I don't get to your point. You wrote "we are more aware of bullying and other abuses that children may face today." Who are you? The Chinese?
Ficino is online now  
Old August 25th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #13

VHS's Avatar
VHS
Viable Holistic Solutions
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: An inconsequital planet
Posts: 3,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficino View Post
My apologies, but your English is not much comprehensible to me, so I don't get to your point. You wrote "we are more aware of bullying and other abuses that children may face today." Who are you? The Chinese?
I had my primary school and first two years of secondary school in Hong Kong; the English I learned there was inconsequential.
How did children grow up in the past?
No nostalgia trap, please!
VHS is offline  
Old August 25th, 2017, 02:14 AM   #14
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Romania
Posts: 5,896

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS View Post
I had my primary school and first two years of secondary school in Hong Kong; the English I learned there was inconsequential.
How did children grow up in the past?
No nostalgia trap, please!
Again, my apologies, but are you sure that you understood my point? What has it to do with nostalgias? Am I wrong somehow if I care for my son, who, God-willing, will be in the 2nd school grade next month? BTW, if you like (or rather dislike) the word "nostalgia", I recommend you to watch this film:


Last edited by Ficino; August 25th, 2017 at 02:20 AM.
Ficino is online now  
Old August 25th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #15

LatinoEuropa's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Matosinhos Portugal
Posts: 3,101

Are children today too spoiled?

Yes they are spoiled but it's the parents' fault give everything to children
To give so much that spoils them. Parents have to know how to say no, when children behave badly A large majority of parents do not know how to say no to their children
The parents is that they spoil the children the children ask the parents always say yes even when the children deserved to hear the word no. To give so much that spoil the children .The word is not part of education for children.
LatinoEuropa is offline  
Old August 25th, 2017, 03:42 AM   #16

KeenIdiot's Avatar
Archivist
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Florida, US
Posts: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
It has always been a problem. There is nothing one can do about it. So just enjoy them and guide them and love them and hope for the best.
It's aways sort of struck me as part of the goal of raising kids. So that they a bit more spoiled than the generation before them.
KeenIdiot is offline  
Old August 25th, 2017, 03:55 AM   #17
Dilettante
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: Wirral
Posts: 3,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenIdiot View Post
It's aways sort of struck me as part of the goal of raising kids. So that they a bit more spoiled than the generation before them.
We live in an age when so such more is available so it's just much more difficult for parents. My parents hardly ever had to say no to me because there wasn't much to ask for when I was a child.
GogLais is online now  
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #18

funakison's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 5,304
Blog Entries: 1

Spoiling children has IMHO got rather less to do with buying them oodles of loot, and more to do with 'giving in' and `letting them get away with'.........
Discipline is the key, not depriving the little cherubs of a magical Christmas.
Lets face it most of the stuff is broken by boxing day anyway
funakison is offline  
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #19

Essan's Avatar
Citizen
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Kingdom of the Hwicce
Posts: 38

Children today have far more, materialistically, than my generation had.

We couldn't sit in bed and shoot our friends over the internet on Xbox. We had to go outside, make guns out of sticks, build dens and play in the mud ....

I think we were much better off for it.
Essan is offline  
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #20
Dilettante
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: Wirral
Posts: 3,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essan View Post
Children today have far more, materialistically, than my generation had.

We couldn't sit in bed and shoot our friends over the internet on Xbox. We had to go outside, make guns out of sticks, build dens and play in the mud ....

I think we were much better off for it.
This may be true but I'm sure we'd have played with those things had they been available. I'm not aiming this at you but let's not get all generationally superior about it.
GogLais is online now  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
children, modern, spoiled



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aristocratic Dualing in the Early Modern Era/Modern Era jeroenrottgering European History 4 March 27th, 2015 06:45 PM
Why world view US as spoiled hedonist not to be taken seriously as a military power? DiehardGrognardKriegspiel War and Military History 179 November 7th, 2013 05:09 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.