Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,044
Advantages of being a country ?


As opposed to being a "region" or a "state" within a more powerful country.

Who wins ? who loses ? Why are regions (scots, catalans, corsicans to name just a few in Europe - but there are dozens such around the world) considering independence ?

Note: the question assumes that the citizens of the region have the same rights as everyone else in their current country... if they are a minority that is being discriminated then the case for a country becomes obviously stronger....
tomar is offline  
Remove Ads
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:37 AM   #2

Shtajerc's Avatar
last real Windischer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Lower Styria, Slovenia
Posts: 5,901

They are probably sick of getting screwed over by the central government and think their own government will screw them less. Also, that way they aren't a periphery anymore (Catalonia really isn't, but ...).
Shtajerc is online now  
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:49 AM   #3

deaf tuner's Avatar
hier is da feestje !!!
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Europe
Posts: 11,916
Blog Entries: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomar View Post
[ Advantages of being a country ]
As opposed to being a "region" or a "state" within a more powerful country.
There's no real advantage or disadvange "per se". It really depends on how the country is organised and run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomar View Post

Why are regions (scots, catalans, corsicans to name just a few in Europe - but there are dozens such around the world) considering independence ?
IDK if we can find too many points in common on all those regions (I'm referring only to Europe, as I know a bit more than the nothing I know elsewhere).

The common denominator of all those tendencies (in Europe) would be the long period of peace behind, a certain well-being, together with an increased degree of rights and liberties.

It created a sort of sentiment of "it's possible".

What I personally dislike in some cases (because we can't generalise) is the "rich man's nationalism/independentism".
deaf tuner is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:52 AM   #4

Tulius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2016
From: Portugal
Posts: 3,840

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaf tuner View Post
What I personally dislike in some cases (because we can't generalise) is the "rich man's nationalism/independentism".
Same here.
Tulius is online now  
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:59 AM   #5

LatinoEuropa's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Matosinhos Portugal
Posts: 4,340

one of the causes is the mother tongue that has to do with nationalism, the other may be the religion.
catalonia has its own language,and feel threatened by the Castilian language, can one of the causes for the people want to make the referendum, in a democracy must respect the decisions of a people.
some countries claim to be democratic, and they do not accept it because they have communist and facist ideologies and they claim to be democratic countries but only on paper.
LatinoEuropa is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:01 PM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Western Eurasia
Posts: 3,539

money too can be a factor, Catalonia is richer than the rest of Spain i think (i believe it is also a motivation among the Flemish separatists in Belgium, they being the richer part?).
Tulun is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM   #7

deaf tuner's Avatar
hier is da feestje !!!
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Europe
Posts: 11,916
Blog Entries: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinoEuropa View Post
one of the causes is the mother tongue that has to do with nationalism, the other may be the religion.
catalonia has its own language,and feel threatened by the Castilian language, can one of the causes for the people want to make the referendum, in a democracy must respect the decisions of a people.
some countries claim to be democratic, and they do not accept it because they have communist and facist ideologies and they claim to be democratic countries but only on paper.
Sometimes it is true, sometimes it is not.

Germans are Catholic and Protestant, and they don't have an issue on that.
Swiss are four languages, and they don't have an issue on that.

It's different from region to region, from people to people.
deaf tuner is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:12 PM   #8

Highlander's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2013
From: Serbia
Posts: 1,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinoEuropa View Post
one of the causes is the mother tongue that has to do with nationalism, the other may be the religion.
catalonia has its own language,and feel threatened by the Castilian language
Catalonian language survived to this day and age, why wouldn't it in the future?
Highlander is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:12 PM   #9

deaf tuner's Avatar
hier is da feestje !!!
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Europe
Posts: 11,916
Blog Entries: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulun View Post
money too can be a factor, Catalonia is richer than the rest of Spain i think (i believe it is also a motivation among the Flemish separatists in Belgium, they being the richer part?).
Yap, it's the case. Flemish independentists are saying it loud: they don't see why they should pay for the lazy Walloon unemployed.

Not that it can't be a reasonable reason to ask independence. But I have difficulties to see where's the real nationalism with that kind of arguments. Szekelyek, at least, are living a poorer region of Romania, and still want their autonomy I believe more in their nationalism than in the Flemish one
deaf tuner is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:22 PM   #10

LatinoEuropa's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Matosinhos Portugal
Posts: 4,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaf tuner View Post
Sometimes it is true, sometimes it is not.

Germans are Catholic and Protestant, and they don't have an issue on that.
Swiss are four languages, and they don't have an issue on that.

It's different from region to region, from people to people.
...................
depends on the mentality of each people

For example, you're in favor of divorce, I'm already against it.

For example, you're in favor of gay marriages. I'm against.etc.etc..

how to resolve the against and the favor with peace, respect each other
LatinoEuropa is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
advantages



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there advantages to being shy? Jake10 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 29 April 30th, 2013 02:00 AM
Advantages of self-deception Rosi Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 12 March 12th, 2010 07:25 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.