Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #41
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Connecticut
Posts: 1,598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidius View Post
How long before the mass arrests for "climate change denial"?

Then how long before some people who are mostly "on message" with climate change are arrested for showing "Insufficient climate change fervour"?

How long before the police are renamed the Cheka, or Gestapo or Stasi and there is a "Ministry of Public Safety"?

Caveat.
I of course fully agree that these deniers are wicked people, and I don't want this post to be taken out of context and used to convict me in the future, after all, how dare people speak their mind. Only the state can tell us what to think and say as only they are competent in this matter. All hail the great climate change state, and may you continue to protect the people by shutting their mouths.

Oh Orwell, where art thou in these troubled times.....
This is a straw man argument. The main reason the speech is dangerous is because an argument denying climate change almost always means an argument against solving the time sensitive issue of climate change. Cause the logic behind this being dangerous is that people who don't believe in climate change will vote for candidates who don't want to do anything and more carbon will be emitted and the quality of life on the planet will decline. Honestly would have had a better chance arguing onn on trickle down because my case there is dependent on assuming people will inherently want to benefit all of society.

Again the examples you are citing above are not at all what we are talking about.

Also we've never mentioned jailing people on this thread, just censoring them and for me even that's on mass platforms where there ideas could spread.

Last edited by Emperor of Wurttemburg 43; November 9th, 2017 at 07:33 AM.
Emperor of Wurttemburg 43 is online now  
Remove Ads
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #42

Corvidius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Dinotopia
Posts: 1,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperoroftheBavarians43 View Post
This is a straw man argument. The main reason the speech is dangerous is because an argument denying climate change almost always means an argument against solving the time sensitive issue of climate change. Cause the logic behind this being dangerous is that people who don't believe in climate change will vote for candidates who don't want to do anything and more carbon will be emitted and the quality of life on the planet will decline. Honestly would have had a better chance arguing onn on trickle down because my case there is dependent on assuming people will inherently want to benefit all of society.

Again the examples you are citing above are not at all what we are talking about.

Also we've never mentioned jailing people on this thread, just censoring them and for me even that's on mass platforms where there ideas could spread.
It is not a strawman argument, and I take exception to you attempting to twist my post, which was of humerous intent. Humor I find is lacking in those with a mono mania about something and, it is also a subject they like to control as well, vide all totalitarian states.

You want to censor what people say, yet how will you enforce this censorship if not ultimately by force of law, by criminalizing people.

Personally, while I do not like the way we polute, strip the planet and create agricultural mono cultures, I have no objection to anybody having whatever view they like on this or any other matter. I am on the side of the argument that says that I may not agree with your views but I will fight to the death so you can hold your views. You think differently?
Corvidius is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #43
Suspended until May 21st, 2018
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: On a magic carpet
Posts: 692

This is a non-question.

Those who spread hate for others based on ethnicity, skin colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion or nationality should be blocked from doing so. Newspapers, tv stations, youtube channels, radio shows should be legally required to not broadcast such material.
SufiMystic is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #44

Isleifson's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Lorraine tudesque
Posts: 3,350

Muslim talk about woman...

Isleifson is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:04 AM   #45

Aupmanyav's Avatar
Atheist, Advaitist, Hindu
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: New Delhi, India
Posts: 3,379

In India, the old adage is:

"Satyam bruyāt priyam bruyāt, mā bruyāt satyam apriyam;
priyam ca nānrutam bruyāt, eshā dharmah sanātanah."


Speak truth in such a way that it should be pleasing to others. Never speak truth, which is unpleasant to others. Never speak untruth, which might be pleasant. This is the path of eternal morality, Sanatana dharma.
Aupmanyav is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #46
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Somewhere
Posts: 1,328
Blog Entries: 1

screw climate change:
https://www.livescience.com/40893-we...c-forests.html
Iphigeneia is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:28 AM   #47

Corvidius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Dinotopia
Posts: 1,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphigeneia View Post
Ah yes, Antartica, the lost land of the dinosaurs
Corvidius is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #48
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Somewhere
Posts: 1,328
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Ah yes, Antartica, the lost land of the dinosaurs
People who love the climate change theory, often believe that Antarctica was always covered in ice

While I believe heavily in less polution and most of all birthrate reduction, the notion that humans would have so much influence on the temperature is rediculous. The earth went through cycles of ice ages before humans even existed. We recently got out of one, so rising temperatures is only natural.
Iphigeneia is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #49

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 30,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphigeneia View Post
People who love the climate change theory, often believe that Antarctica was always covered in ice
Which people?

I suppose continental drift is a conspiracy theory too?
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:44 AM   #50
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Connecticut
Posts: 1,598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphigeneia View Post
People who love the climate change theory, often believe that Antarctica was always covered in ice

While I believe heavily in less polution and most of all birthrate reduction, the notion that humans would have so much influence on the temperature is rediculous. The earth went through cycles of ice ages before humans even existed. We recently got out of one, so rising temperatures is only natural.
Well if most people who were climate deniers were supportive of policies that reduced carbon emissions we wouldn't need to be having this conversation because then it'd be like flat earther or young earth stuff. Untrue, yes but no impact on society.
Emperor of Wurttemburg 43 is online now  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
acceptable, freedom, limitations, speech



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freedom of Speech 1917 Harpo American History 1 April 26th, 2015 01:45 AM
Freedom of speech or freedom for idiocy. Vladimir1984 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 42 July 3rd, 2014 01:12 AM
Should we curb freedom of speech? Son of Cathal Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 47 August 6th, 2011 10:01 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.