Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #51

General Michael Collins's Avatar
Resident Fenian
¤ Member of the Year ¤
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Éire
Posts: 6,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." - Robert A Heinlein.
Mine is Shakespeare!
General Michael Collins is offline  
Remove Ads
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #52
Suspended indefinitely
¤ Member of the Year ¤
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: ------------
Posts: 24,135
Blog Entries: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Michael Collins View Post
Mine is Shakespeare!
Both are true.
Brisieis is offline  
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #53

General Michael Collins's Avatar
Resident Fenian
¤ Member of the Year ¤
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Éire
Posts: 6,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
Both are true.
I agree.
General Michael Collins is offline  
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #54

Perix's Avatar
Golan&Imbarligator
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Romania
Posts: 9,988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." - Robert A Heinlein.
did i say different?!
Perix is offline  
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #55

Perix's Avatar
Golan&Imbarligator
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Romania
Posts: 9,988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear View Post
i had a patient that died recently at 76--she had a boob job and it looked really strange--boobs sagging down to her lap with these big round balls in the end. i guess she could have used them as a weapon
is doctors fault! they should discoiver boobs which age with the master
Perix is offline  
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #56
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,668

I treat men and women in the same manner, in fact they're far more alike than they would like to admit.

Like Dostoyevsky said in Notes from Underground:

Quote:
... the greatest nastiness precisely lay in my being shamefully conscious every moment, even in moments of the greatest bile, that I was not only not a wicked but was not even an embittered man, that I was simply frightening sparrows in vain, and pleasing myself with it. I’m foaming at the mouth, but bring me some little doll, give me some tea with a bit of suger, and maybe I’ll calm down.

Last edited by Fireatwill; April 14th, 2012 at 05:36 AM.
Fireatwill is offline  
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #57

Louise C's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Southeast England
Posts: 7,239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." - Robert A Heinlein.
Heinlein was a fathead. Jealousy is a perfectly natural emotion, if you love someone, you are inevitably going to be a little jealous, if you are not a bit jealous, then you probably don't really love them. Likewise, nobody could help being a bit jealous of someone who is, say absolutely brilliant at something they would like to be good at. It doesn't mean they are neurotic, just human.
Louise C is offline  
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #58
Suspended indefinitely
¤ Member of the Year ¤
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: ------------
Posts: 24,135
Blog Entries: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise C View Post
Heinlein was a fathead. Jealousy is a perfectly natural emotion, if you love someone, you are inevitably going to be a little jealous, if you are not a bit jealous, then you probably don't really love them. Likewise, nobody could help being a bit jealous of someone who is, say absolutely brilliant at something they would like to be good at. It doesn't mean they are neurotic, just human.
I only quoted Heinlein because I agreed with his quote.

Jealousy is a negative emotion that only causes unhappiness. I have never met a person that is nice and acts jealous too. Yes, we may on the occassion feel jealousy at some points in our lives, but I think to be jealous everytime you see a beautiful person, or everytime you see someone more successful than yourself, or better than you at something - is neurotic.

Your opinion that you only love someone if you are jealous around the person is most bizarre. Jealousy is not love, it is controlling and possessive.
Brisieis is offline  
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #59

Louise C's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Southeast England
Posts: 7,239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
I only quoted Heinlein because I agreed with his quote.

Jealousy is a negative emotion that only causes unhappiness. I have never met a person that is nice and acts jealous too. Yes, we may on the occassion feel jealousy at some points in our lives, but I think to be jealous everytime you see a beautiful person, or everytime you see someone more successful than yourself, or better than you at something - is neurotic.

Your opinion that you only love someone if you are jealous around the person is most bizarre. Jealousy is not love, it is controlling and possessive.
Most people have negative emotions sometimes. And I think a tinge of jealousy at times is natural. Certainly being jealous every time you see a beautiful person would be a waste of time, but if you see a beautiful person chatting up your spouse for instance and don't feel a twinge, then I would wonder if you really cared. A little bit of jealousy at such a time seems pefectly natural to me.
Louise C is offline  
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #60
Suspended indefinitely
¤ Member of the Year ¤
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: ------------
Posts: 24,135
Blog Entries: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise C View Post
Most people have negative emotions sometimes. And I think a tinge of jealousy at times is natural. Certainly being jealous every time you see a beautiful person would be a waste of time, but if you see a beautiful person chatting up your spouse for instance and don't feel a twinge, then I would wonder if you really cared. A little bit of jealousy at such a time seems pefectly natural to me.
Of course I agree that a 'tinge' of jealousy felt if some drop dead gorgeous woman was chatting up your man is natural. In small doses jealousy happens to the best of us. But even a tinge can have a lot to answer for, it may well depend on how your man is acting in return to the desirable female in question.

My point is, that over all, the emotion is detrimental and not something that should be praised as being 'normal to feel', since most people that think jealousy is normal, act constantly jealous of their partners. Woman and men can be the same, constantly nagging their partners because they get jealous. Some people are so bad they get jealous of their friends having others friends, or if their men are watching a movie and a beautiful actress is in the movie, the said woman can start questioning their partner and nagging him. Men are no better, thinking that they own the woman they are in a relationship with.

Ultimately jealousy is an insecure emotion and it is only felt regularly by people who are either insecure, controlling, possessive, angry, bitter, envious, depressive or a combination of all of these emotions.
Brisieis is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
beautiful, hate, women



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Women of the '45 Chookie European History 3 September 29th, 2010 01:15 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.