Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Scholar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 530
Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking

Negative thinking often displays itself in ad hominem attacks. Often a forum has one or more individuals who have grown to think of themselves as the local ‘shaman’; these individuals try all kinds of ways to reject others who they fear will take away some of their ‘power’, so they use all forms of negative attacks to reject that new person.

I have seen instances of individuals who are very anti-intellectual devise means for rejecting any form of ideas that appear to be intellectual.

Ideologues are always fighting against other ideologues and they use every means to reject non-conforming ideas. I see that especially in anti-theism ideologues. I had one instance of an individual rejecting the works of Becker because Becker uses the word "faith", such a word was like the appearance of a snake under the bed.

We are indoctrinated in our ideologies and we are constantly fighting either for ours or against another, this leads to various techniques to throw off any invading new ideas. Also I am convinced that our schools and colleges have made people unconsciously fearful of any serious concepts that have not been introduced to them by a teacher. Self-learning is unconsciously an alien concept.
coberst is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #2

avon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 13,844
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


Coberst, do you believe in aliens or UFOs?? (Serious question - please answer.)
avon is offline  
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #3

Rob Matter's Avatar
Archivist
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Philadelphia, US
Posts: 130
Re: Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


A rather nebulous assertion. To critique something is to dissect and unpack it, which often means negating its essence as a whole.

Elitism on messageboards (hilarious when one imagines that beyond the titles and avatars we have largely 30-year-old men living in their mom's basements) is something different, and on that note I agree with the topic.
Rob Matter is offline  
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Scholar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 530
Re: Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


Quote:
Originally Posted by avon View Post
Coberst, do you believe in aliens or UFOs?? (Serious question - please answer.)
Hahahahaha!
coberst is offline  
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #5

avon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 13,844
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


Quote:
Originally Posted by coberst View Post
Hahahahaha!
No, it was a serious question.

Here's the thing, Coberst. Is it really obnoxious to be doubtful of alien abduction? Probably not. By the same measure, is it realisic to doubt the dropping of atomic bombs on Nagasaki? Absolutely not. But yet, more people have seen aliens or been abducted by aliens than actually witnessed the atomic bombs in Japan. Nobody questions the latter though whilst the former is widely riddiculed. Why is this?
avon is offline  
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #6

Son of Cathal's Avatar
Grand Master of the Praxeum
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: The Bright Center of the Universe
Posts: 4,301
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


Quote:
Originally Posted by avon View Post
No, it was a serious question.

Here's the thing, Coberst. Is it really obnoxious to be doubtful of alien abduction? Probably not. By the same measure, is it realisic to doubt the dropping of atomic bombs on Nagasaki? Absolutely not. But yet, more people have seen aliens or been abducted by aliens than actually witnessed the atomic bombs in Japan. Nobody questions the latter though whilst the former is widely riddiculed. Why is this?
Because many humans find it hard to contemplate something that was not their own creation?
Son of Cathal is offline  
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #7

Lord Ragnar's Avatar
Grand Inquisitor
 
Joined: Nov 2008
From: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 639
Re: Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


Quote:
Originally Posted by avon View Post
No, it was a serious question.

Here's the thing, Coberst. Is it really obnoxious to be doubtful of alien abduction? Probably not. By the same measure, is it realisic to doubt the dropping of atomic bombs on Nagasaki? Absolutely not. But yet, more people have seen aliens or been abducted by aliens than actually witnessed the atomic bombs in Japan. Nobody questions the latter though whilst the former is widely riddiculed. Why is this?
It would seem merely that the one is documented by historical and scientific evidence, whilst the other is founded rather sketchier suggestion. The teaching of the atomic bombs has largely passed into mainstream schooling and popular discourse. We believe what our teachers and our history books tell us.

However, this alone does not necessitate that that belief in UFO's is incorrect. Billions of humans follow theistic religions of which scientific and historical evidence play a reasonably minor role. A lack/abundance of hard scientific evidence does not necessarily dictate correct belief.
Lord Ragnar is offline  
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #8

avon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 13,844
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ragnar View Post
It would seem merely that the one is documented by historical and scientific evidence, whilst the other is founded rather sketchier suggestion. The teaching of the atomic bombs has largely passed into mainstream schooling and popular discourse. We believe what our teachers and our history books tell us.

However, this alone does not necessitate that that belief in UFO's is incorrect. Billions of humans follow theistic religions of which scientific and historical evidence play a reasonably minor role. A lack/abundance of hard scientific evidence does not necessarily dictate correct belief.
Agreed. In a court of law, the words of a witness count for much. The stories told by the many thousands of alien abductees must surely count for something. Yet ... most of us remain impassive to the plausibility that alien abduction exists.
avon is offline  
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #9

avon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 13,844
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking


Quote:
Originally Posted by coberst View Post

I have seen instances of individuals who are very anti-intellectual devise means for rejecting any form of ideas that appear to be intellectual.

...

We are indoctrinated in our ideologies and we are constantly fighting either for ours or against another, this leads to various techniques to throw off any invading new ideas.

I think it important to remember that 'new' does not always correlate with 'correct' or 'plausible'. Besides, if the purveyor of 'new' ideas does not like them being challenged and/or rejected, then it should be remembered that there is no imperative for those ideas to be placed on a discussion forum. I might also add that assuming that those rejecting the new ideas do so because of some over-riding/mentally limiting ideology is a shabby assertion.
avon is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
critical, negative, thinking


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What was Lee thinking? old_abe American History 2 September 18th, 2009 12:21 PM
Critical Thinker Habitually Pulls Back the Curtain coberst Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 0 July 1st, 2008 10:04 PM
Thinking as Historians Jubelu Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 53 July 16th, 2007 06:05 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.