Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #61

antocya's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Iraq
Posts: 3,924

I didn't know that, well it's not a word that comes up much in conversation.

So people in Turkey name their kids helmet?
antocya is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #62

Efendi's Avatar
KayıkÁı Efe
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Anatolia
Posts: 11,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius Vorenus View Post
Thank you for the kind words. You know you're welcome today here as you always were
Thanks my friend!
Efendi is offline  
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #63

Efendi's Avatar
KayıkÁı Efe
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Anatolia
Posts: 11,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by antocya View Post
I didn't know that, well it's not a word that comes up much in conversation.

So people in Turkey name their kids helmet?
My name is Tolga.

They didn't know what It means when I am named. However It is common name in Turkey. People think it sound nice to ear as a male name.
Efendi is offline  
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #64

antocya's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Iraq
Posts: 3,924

Yes I've heard the name many times but I didn't know the meaning, also Tolga Han. So is it archaic Turkish if people didn't know the meaning? People in the US name their kids Brandy so helmet is a lot better than that.
antocya is offline  
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #65
Archivist
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Sydney Australia
Posts: 166

While there might be elements of Turkish society that secretly (or not so secretly) yearn for a Turkish dominated Middle East and a new "Ottoman Empire" the dominant Arab populations in the region will almost certain have another view of the matter. This is especially the case given the recent emergence of nascent Arab democracies via the various "Arab Spring" movements and memories of how the Arabs as a people fared under Ottoman rule. Having just recently seen the first glimpses of democratic government in their own countries they won't necessarily be in a hurry to hand over authority to another group of "outsiders" even if they are fellow Muslims.
Monash is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #66

Efendi's Avatar
KayıkÁı Efe
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Anatolia
Posts: 11,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by antocya View Post
Yes I've heard the name many times but I didn't know the meaning, also Tolga Han. So is it archaic Turkish if people didn't know the meaning? People in the US name their kids Brandy so helmet is a lot better than that.
It is new name introduced like Teoman, Subutay, «ağatay...

Brandy sound cool.
Efendi is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #67

antocya's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Iraq
Posts: 3,924

Well brandy is an alcoholic beverage.
antocya is offline  
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #68

Efendi's Avatar
KayıkÁı Efe
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Anatolia
Posts: 11,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by antocya View Post
Well brandy is an alcoholic beverage.
I see. Not much humilating though.
Efendi is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #69

Essa's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Bahrain
Posts: 1,740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monash View Post
While there might be elements of Turkish society that secretly (or not so secretly) yearn for a Turkish dominated Middle East and a new "Ottoman Empire" the dominant Arab populations in the region will almost certain have another view of the matter. This is especially the case given the recent emergence of nascent Arab democracies via the various "Arab Spring" movements and memories of how the Arabs as a people fared under Ottoman rule. Having just recently seen the first glimpses of democratic government in their own countries they won't necessarily be in a hurry to hand over authority to another group of "outsiders" even if they are fellow Muslims.
Well, perhabs you might need to consider that "Influence" and "Control" can be obtained in smooth and gradual ways (Implicit if I may say)....Almost all Arabs don't welcome a US control, they didn't welcome a British control in the past...But does Arabs deny an American "Influence" or "Control" in the politics of all Arab countries, that will continue even after Arab Spring....

A Turkish role is welcomed in the Arab world because of needs of stability in the Middle East and the Muslim connection of Turkey.....But, I don't think its would come close to the late Ottoman period, nor Turkey is eyeing such ineffective model....Its rather an economic expansion that should benefit all sides.
Essa is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #70

infestÝr's Avatar
Surprise pÝlse!
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Ẍ
Posts: 3,830
Blog Entries: 3
Angry


Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa View Post
A Turkish role is welcomed in the Arab world because of needs of stability in the Middle East and the Muslim connection of Turkey.....But, I don't think its would come close to the late Ottoman period, nor Turkey is eyeing such ineffective model....Its rather an economic expansion that should benefit all sides.
i very much doubt that any arab country welcomes any turkish influence. i think this "neo-ottomanism" is a good selling point for votes of AKP to ummahist (the majority that believes the superiority of islam over anything) fraction. if AKP really sees itself as a "new emperor" then they are plain batshit insane. but their voters surely believe this kind of fantasy promise. they always attack m. kemal ataturk and the republic. turkey might be the only country in the world where majority of its population wants to reinstate constitutional/absolute monarchy
infestÝr is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
empire, ottoman, sultan


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roman empire vs Ottoman empire macro Speculative History 24 September 8th, 2012 10:35 AM
Warning from Ottoman Sultan to French King Shah Ismail Medieval and Byzantine History 166 May 18th, 2011 10:33 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.