Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015
What works better?


What works better, government or people?

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=35215
Virgil is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #2

Aulus Plautius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
You would not have a government without people to run it; people without government is anarchy. Anarchy equals chaos.

Government run by competent people runs well. Fill those offices with incompetents and government runs badly.

The question is rather difficult to answer. It depends on the government and the people.
Aulus Plautius is offline  
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulus Plautius View Post
You would not have a government without people to run it; people without government is anarchy. Anarchy equals chaos.

Government run by competent people runs well. Fill those offices with incompetents and government runs badly.

The question is rather difficult to answer. It depends on the government and the people.
I don't think it is a choice between anarchy and stability. I think it has more to do with the culture of a particular city or town. Apparently the people in this video are much better at managing traffic than any government workers. The drivers have a stake in the outcome, government workers breed incompetence I think.
Virgil is offline  
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4

Aulus Plautius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
I don't think it is a choice between anarchy and stability. I think it has more to do with the culture of a particular city or town. Apparently the people in this video are much better at managing traffic than any government workers. The drivers have a stake in the outcome, government workers breed incompetence I think.
I don't buy the premise. I was in NYC before the storm hit, and NYC without traffic lights would be total chaos. I don't think you can draw the conclusion from one video that no government is better than government.
Aulus Plautius is offline  
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #5

RoryOMore's Avatar
Foremost Authority
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,907

I think you have to start with the presumption that any activity will be carried out by individuals, and that it will only be picked up by government if it proves to be impractical for individuals.
RoryOMore is offline  
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulus Plautius View Post
I don't buy the premise. I was in NYC before the storm hit, and NYC without traffic lights would be total chaos. I don't think you can draw the conclusion from one video that no government is better than government.
I really do not argue for no government. I just argue for less. What may work in a small UK town may not work in New York. That doesn't mean that one size fits all and that the right solution in one place has to be the solution in another. I may be biased, but I really do feel that the ideas that fuel our government officials can be very wrong consistently in some places. I argue that stopping government when it is wrong is very difficult, and that they will ignore every disagreement with them.
Virgil is offline  
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #7

Aulus Plautius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
I really do not argue for no government. I just argue for less. What may work in a small UK town may not work in New York. That doesn't mean that one size fits all and that the right solution in one place has to be the solution in another. I may be biased, but I really do feel that the ideas that fuel our government officials can be very wrong consistently in some places. I argue that stopping government when it is wrong is very difficult, and that they will ignore every disagreement with them.
I agree with you about small government and there are clearly situations where government should not be intruding on people's rights. As in the traffic video, if the traffic ran better without the traffic lights then by all means do away with traffic lights. But my experience has been, at least in Florida, whenever there are traffic accidents on cross-roads without traffic lights, the cry goes out to install traffic lights on that intersection.
Aulus Plautius is offline  
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulus Plautius View Post
I agree with you about small government and there are clearly situations where government should not be intruding on people's rights. As in the traffic video, if the traffic ran better without the traffic lights then by all means do away with traffic lights. But my experience has been, at least in Florida, whenever there are traffic accidents on cross-roads without traffic lights, the cry goes out to install traffic lights on that intersection.
I wonder about a larger issue. Don't get me wrong, I believe that global warming is very possible. I just don't know how real it is. Many a "green" company building solar panels or electric cars has gone bankrupt recently. I wonder why they stopped calling it global warming and started calling it climate change? Haven't we always had climate change? Do they really know whether we are warming or cooling? Do we really want to allow government officials to make these decisions for us?

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/14317...true-or-false/
Virgil is offline  
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #9

Aulus Plautius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
I wonder about a larger issue. Don't get me wrong, I believe that global warming is very possible. I just don't know how real it is. Many a "green" company building solar panels or electric cars has gone bankrupt recently. I wonder why they stopped calling it global warming and started calling it climate change? Haven't we always had climate change? Do they really know whether we are warming or cooling? Do we really want to allow government officials to make these decisions for us?

Global Warming: True or False? | Fox Business Video
I had posted on another thread that oil companies that have been funding the anti-climate change science are preparing for a world with a warmer climate. For instance, these oil companies are already making plans to tap into oil reserves under retreating glaciers.

But honestly Virgil, you have to ask yourself if global climate change is not real, why have these large oil companies been lobbying Congress for immunity from global warming lawsuits. I personally think global climate change is real, it is man-made, and should be dealt with.

Remember in the 80s with the hole in the ozone. It was Republicans and Democrates who took the efforts to ban CFCs. It worked and the ozone hole has been reduced.

We should not cover our heads and do as many recommend and just adapt. Why not be proactive for future generations?
Aulus Plautius is offline  
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulus Plautius View Post
I had posted on another thread that oil companies that have been funding the anti-climate change science are preparing for a world with a warmer climate. For instance, these oil companies are already making plans to tap into oil reserves under retreating glaciers.

But honestly Virgil, you have to ask yourself if global climate change is not real, why have these large oil companies been lobbying Congress for immunity from global warming lawsuits. I personally think global climate change is real, it is man-made, and should be dealt with.

Remember in the 80s with the hole in the ozone. It was Republicans and Democrates who took the efforts to ban CFCs. It worked and the ozone hole has been reduced.

We should not cover our heads and do as many recommend and just adapt. Why not be proactive for future generations?
I remember the Ozone Layer scare. It went away, but does that mean we as human beings fixed it? I doubt that very much. I wonder whether or not there ever was a valid reason to be afraid. Seeing how politics, and even scientific work, knowing that to get funding as a scientist you must come up with numbers that support a particular theory (climate change), well I find that disheartening to say the least.
Virgil is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
works


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How The World Works philosopher Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 35 August 27th, 2012 11:32 PM
Davy Chen's works? DeliciousTomatoesYay Asian History 1 August 30th, 2011 12:55 PM
Why socialism works philosopher Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 50 January 10th, 2011 12:56 AM
Hi there, can somebody tell me how this works chris zhou New Users 19 September 4th, 2010 01:28 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.