Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #11

Earl_of_Rochester's Avatar
Scoundrel
Member of the Year
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Perambulating in St James' Park
Posts: 10,405

A good quote and perhaps true to some extent, at least for the big names. Unfortunately 99.9999999999999999% who die in war are not remembered and slip away into obscurity. Even the ones lost in our latest conflicts are forgotten minutes later.

I like to hear the humorous stuff and the funny antics between friends. The other day I was listening to a podcast about Ancient Greece and these guys were having a wild party. They were all drunk and thought their house was a ship at sea trapped in a storm. They decided to jettison all the cargo to save them from sinking and woke up the next morning with all the furniture smashed on the ground outside.

Must have been one hell of a symposium.

My own nom de plume has quite a few amusing scrapes too, apparently some of his mates took a wench from London across the Thames and then tried to 'do it' in a tree.
Earl_of_Rochester is online now  
Remove Ads
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #12

Belgarion's Avatar
Cynical Optimist
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Australia
Posts: 3,040

I have made many mistakes in my time and I do tend to obsess over things I can't change. I try to tell myself that I must let go however it's easier said then done. Overall I have been very lucky and have little to complain about but focusing on the negatives has been affecting my enjoyment of the here and now. But I am working on it.
Belgarion is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #13

Earl_of_Rochester's Avatar
Scoundrel
Member of the Year
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Perambulating in St James' Park
Posts: 10,405

doublepost cos my connection sucks

Last edited by Earl_of_Rochester; November 12th, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Earl_of_Rochester is online now  
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #14

SPERRO's Avatar
Ex Cold War Warrior
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: North East England
Posts: 3,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
I am very self punishing as a person, when I make mistakes I beat myself up (figure of speech) about it and call myself an idiot. There are many things which go over my head what other people would worry about, but this is only because some very dire things have happened to me and it is therefore the dire things that make me worry. So, other things do not seem so bad. I think when really bad stuff happens, you kind of get over all the little unnecessary things that many would dwell over. Some people can walk through life and even the big things that happen does not make them flinch, I envy such people.

There are things which have devastated me in my life but the ones I cannot get over are the ones that didn't happen naturally but the ones where I messed up, made the wrong decision, allowed myself to be treated badly or manipulated. I can't seem to forgive myself for letting other people and circumstances affect my decisions in life. I have never seemed to be able to stand up and just make a decision through my own strength of will. I've said this before on another topic but I feel this makes me a very weak person. I wish I was stronger and that I wasn't such a door mat all my life.

I generally do not have regrets for missed opportunities in my life, but get upset at the parts of my life what I messed up. I do not miss what I never had, but what I did have or could of had if I didn't mess up so much.
I messed up big time earlier in my adult life. I married a person who I loved beyond reason. The problem was, it took 30 years to find out that she did not love me. despite this, I still love her even though i could no longer tolerate living together.

there are times when i am kicking myself in my thoughts and screaming " you bloody fool, you did'nt get it right", even though we have gone our seperate ways. I am still trying to convince myself that it was a problem that could be resolved but Iam failing to come to terms with the fact that it is no good trying or thinking that the situation can be rectified.

The Human failing is this refusal to come to terms with situations, even though you have convinced yourself that you have. I now have a partner, and we have been together for 12 years. We are both on the second time round, so we really understand each other. We both sometimes say " why did I not meet you a long time ago?", which is really a form of regret, for what we see as wasted lives. If we had our time all over again, we would most likely make all of the same mistakes. We all mess up, sometimes bigstyle
SPERRO is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #15

Crystal Rainbow's Avatar
The Good Knight
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 9,978
Blog Entries: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPERRO View Post
I messed up big time earlier in my adult life. I married a person who I loved beyond reason. The problem was, it took 30 years to find out that she did not love me. despite this, I still love her even though i could no longer tolerate living together.

there are times when i am kicking myself in my thoughts and screaming " you bloody fool, you did'nt get it right", even though we have gone our seperate ways. I am still trying to convince myself that it was a problem that could be resolved but Iam failing to come to terms with the fact that it is no good trying or thinking that the situation can be rectified.

The Human failing is this refusal to come to terms with situations, even though you have convinced yourself that you have. I now have a partner, and we have been together for 12 years. We are both on the second time round, so we really understand each other. We both sometimes say " why did I not meet you a long time ago?", which is really a form of regret, for what we see as wasted lives. If we had our time all over again, we would most likely make all of the same mistakes. We all mess up, sometimes bigstyle
I know we can kick ourselves for meeting the wrong sort of people and becoming miserable people and what makes our lives at times unbearable. I had made wrong choices in my life, but whats done is done and nothing can be achieved from harboring grudges about the fact you have wasted your life when you was young. I still look forward to the future and the only time I look back on now is history as I feel that is the only thing in the past that just fascinates me.
Crystal Rainbow is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #16

SPERRO's Avatar
Ex Cold War Warrior
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: North East England
Posts: 3,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Rainbow View Post
I know we can kick ourselves for meeting the wrong sort of people and becoming miserable people and what makes our lives at times unbearable. I had made wrong choices in my life, but whats done is done and nothing can be achieved from harboring grudges about the fact you have wasted your life when you was young. I still look forward to the future and the only time I look back on now is history as I feel that is the only thing in the past that just fascinates me.
I dont harbour grudges far from it, but sometimes I wish I had made a better attempt at life.
SPERRO is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #17

Crystal Rainbow's Avatar
The Good Knight
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 9,978
Blog Entries: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPERRO View Post
I dont harbour grudges far from it, but sometimes I wish I had made a better attempt at life.
I think life is for learning, if we do learn from our mistakes then we can move on. I had wished that I had made something of my young life as achievements as an academic but it was never too be. I have met some these people now and I am so glad I am not like them, they can be so rude and full of their self importance. At least I can come on here and discuss history on a more equal level, and probably are more knowledgeable about history.
The most important thing is for you now is that you are now happier and more settled. I bet you never would be discussing history with people you have never come face to face with. when you were younger.
Crystal Rainbow is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #18

SPERRO's Avatar
Ex Cold War Warrior
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: North East England
Posts: 3,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Rainbow View Post
I think life is for learning, if we do learn from our mistakes then we can move on. I had wished that I had made something of my young life as achievements as an academic but it was never too be. I have met some these people now and I am so glad I am not like them, they can be so rude and full of their self importance. At least I can come on here and discuss history on a more equal level, and probably are more knowledgeable about history.
The most important thing is for you now is that you are now happier and more settled. I bet you never would be discussing history with people you have never come face to face with. when you were younger.
Thats quite true, a lot of people who I knew in my younger years, thought History was boring. Without access to people with similar interests, life was a bit frustrating.

I think that most people have regrets and wish they had gone about their lives a little differently, but are we born to make mistakes (as the human league sang)?. If living your life is a learning curve, what good is it to you when your life is nearly over?
SPERRO is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #19

Zeno's Avatar
l'esprit de l'escalier
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: ♪♬ ♫♪♩
Posts: 12,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPERRO View Post
Thats quite true, a lot of people who I knew in my younger years, thought History was boring. Without access to people with similar interests, life was a bit frustrating.

I think that most people have regrets and wish they had gone about their lives a little differently, but are we born to make mistakes (as the human league sang)?. If living your life is a learning curve, what good is it to you when your life is nearly over?
Death as the graduation. If only it were true...
Zeno is offline  
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #20

Tuthmosis III's Avatar
His Royal Travesty
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: the middle ground
Posts: 2,479
Blog Entries: 3

I've always found this little thought experiment fascinating:

You get to go back and start over again from any age you choose, but you either

1. cannot take the knowledge/wisdom you have acquired back with you, or
2. can take the knowledge/wisdom with you - into changed circumstances

Most people realize they will more than likely make the same mistakes for the same reasons under option 1, but the idea that what they know now may have to be unlearned in the different life of option 2 makes the choice a difficult one...
Tuthmosis III is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
life


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does human life have more value than animal life? Salah Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 113 August 31st, 2012 02:29 PM
Life Young Guard Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 19 May 27th, 2012 09:09 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.