Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #121

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298 View Post
You seem to be looking for excuses to say "racism is ok", and not just in this thread either.
I think that certain types of racism are ok, others aren't
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #122

Mandate of Heaven's Avatar
Ate too much
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: Not sure what it is
Posts: 6,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
I think that certain types of racism are ok, others aren't
Morality aside, stereotyping is an important evolutionary trait.
Mandate of Heaven is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #123
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
I think that certain types of racism are ok, others aren't
Are you familiar with the concept of fallacious moral double standards?

E.g. let say like "when my side does it, it's "ok"; when the other side does it, it's not".

Plainly (and unsurprisingly) irrational prejudicial social discrimination will always be irrational prejudicial social discrimination; period.

Any "ok" will just entirely be in the eye of any beholder, by definition.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #124
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Indiana
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
If the race features are what you find attractive, then you find asian girls more beautiful due to their race, thus the race is the factor of preferring them
And this is not racism.
JamesMadison is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #125
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Whenever anyone may think about racism, just remember everything your family and teachers have ever told you about Antisemitism, currently one of the best studied varieties of racism.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #126

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Are you familiar with the concept of fallacious moral double standards?

E.g. let say like "when my side does it, it's "ok"; when the other side does it, it's not".

Plainly (and unsurprisingly) irrational prejudicial social discrimination will always be irrational prejudicial social discrimination; period.

Any "ok" will just entirely be in the eye of any beholder, by definition.
Do you drastically split things in good and bad all the time, regardless of the situations?
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #127

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMadison View Post
And this is not racism.
It is because you're making a discrimination based on race. The fact that racism is only the negative discriminations is what I'm contesting.
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #128

infestør's Avatar
Surprise pølse!
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Ẍ
Posts: 3,830
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanboy View Post
I was wondering if someone who prefers a race over other ones or shows off their love for a certain race is labelled as a racist or not?
yes it does. because you like or hate some people that you have never met and will never meet. then again everyone is a bit racist. most people hold their race higher than other races. it is a matter of us and them.
infestør is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #129
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 100
facts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
But it can be highly circumstantial.

If another race were in the same set of circumstances, they may act the same or similar. Therefore it is not racial but, the circumstances which dictate the actions of a said percentage of people.
sure, but you say 'may' !!that depends....but facts and truth cannot be disputed, and it is not racist to state facts and truth, correct, princess?
Mulligan is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #130
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
Do you drastically split things in good and bad all the time, regardless of the situations?
First, where exactly did I say in this thread anything even remotely like what you pretend here?

Then, are you familiar with the term "moral relativism"?

Last but not least, when exactly wouldn't you find "drastically bad" let say Antisemitism?

Last edited by sylla1; November 15th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
sylla1 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
likeing, race, races, racism


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Caucasian races still exist? Earl_of_Rochester Art and Cultural History 32 March 9th, 2011 07:26 AM
Human races beorna General History 86 August 12th, 2010 05:40 AM
The Races of Europe Isoroku295 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 20 April 3rd, 2010 10:52 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.