Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #141

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,943

And what my strawman would be sylla?
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #142
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
I find it bad indeed, doesn't mean that any form of racism is bad
Let say against blacks?

Or exactly which ethnic group would you find irrational prejudicial social discrimination "ok" for?

See?
That's exactly the paradigmatic fallacious moral double standards we were talking about.

Because no matter any number of cheap desperate fallacious attempts that might be tried to justify it...
... each & any irrational prejudicial social discrimination is still just irrational prejudicial social discrimination.
Period.

Not exactly rocket science, huh?
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #143

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,943

I don't think you understand - it's not a matter of which race, but which type of attitude. Do you find the racist attitude of my example of the beauty contest that I made in post #136 acceptable?
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #144
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
And what my strawman would be sylla?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
I don't think you understand - it's not a matter of which race, but which type of attitude. Do you find the racist attitude of my example of the beauty contest that I made in post #136 acceptable?
Since you asked it, this is another nicely paradigmatic example of a fallacious Straw Man.
(Among several other notorious fallacies, of course)

Because as you couldn't possibly ignore from several posts ago:
... mere taste per se is not any prejudice...
... ergo, even less any social discrimination ...
... exponentially less any "racism".

Nope, no matter how many times you may fallaciously barely assert so, not even ad nauseam as it has been the fallacious case so far.

You just have to do your homework, as anyone else here.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #145
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Indiana
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
It is because you're making a discrimination based on race. The fact that racism is only the negative discriminations is what I'm contesting.
What is the discrimination? The discrimination is not being equally attracted to women of different races. It is a rather absurd idea to equate an innate preference for certain kinds of women of a certain race, because the innate preference/attraction is to women with dark hair, brown eyes, etcetera, to discrimination and racism.

The discrimination is not based on race. The discrimination is predicated upon Person X have an innate attraction for certain features, brown hair, brown eyes, brown skin, and it just so happens a particular race meets these innate desires more so than others. Person X is not asserting they like Asians because they are Asian but rather they like Asians because they possess the characteristics which satisfies an innate attraction to those features Asians just so happen to possess.

Being attracted to a certain type of girl, a girl with certain features, does not make one a racist when those features just so happen to be almost exclusively found in a particular race to the exclusion of other races.

This notion it is racist and racism unless one is attracted equally to people of all races is non-sense. This is pure, unadulterated non-sense you are espousing.
JamesMadison is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #146

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Since you asked it, this is another nicely paradigmatic example of a fallacious Straw Man.
(Among several other notorious fallacies, of course)

Because as you couldn't possibly ignore from several posts ago:
... mere taste per se is not any prejudice...
... ergo, even less any social discrimination ...
... exponentially less any "racism".

Nope, no matter how many times you may fallaciously barely assert so, not even ad nauseam as it has been the fallacious case so far.

You just have to do your homework, as anyone else here.
You haven't answered my question regarding the beauty contest
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #147

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMadison View Post
The discrimination is not based on race. The discrimination is predicated upon Person X have an innate attraction for certain features, brown hair, brown eyes, brown skin, and it just so happens a particular race meets these innate desires more so than others. Person X is not asserting they like Asians because they are Asian but rather they like Asians because they possess the characteristics which satisfies an innate attraction to those features Asians just so happen to possess.

Being attracted to a certain type of girl, a girl with certain features, does not make one a racist when those features just so happen to be almost exclusively found in a particular race to the exclusion of other races.
That's like saying that you aren't attracted to women, but to the features they have, that is boobs, vagina etc. In a way it's true, but come on, you would still say that you like women.
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #148

Brisieis's Avatar
Historian
Member of the Year
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: Egotistical.Apes.Ruining.This.Habitat
Posts: 17,202
Blog Entries: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
That's like saying that you aren't attracted to women, but to the features they have, that is boobs, vagina etc. In a way it's true, but come on, you would still say that you like women.
Would you say that if you are not bi, that you are then sexist?

Taste is nothing to do with racism or prejudice.
Brisieis is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #149
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Indiana
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
as I already said, you find the physical traits of their race attractive, which means you like the race
No, this is not accurate. He likes certain "traits" and it just so happens those "traits" are predominantly if not exclusively found within and among a particular race. Some of our Founding Fathers were capable of finding attractive certain traits that Blacks just so happened to possess and yet they disliked or held a rather disparaging view of the race. However, I digress.

Being physically attracted to a girl with certain features, when those features just so happen to be predominantly found within a particular race, is not racism. They aren't selecting the woman because of a race but because of a features they are attracted to and the woman/women of a particular race has those features more than others if not exclusively.

There is a difference between the statements of "I am attracted to white women and white women only because they are white," and "I am attracted to white women because of the features X, Y, and Z, and those features just so happen to be predominantly if not exclusively found among white women."
JamesMadison is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #150

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
Would you say that if you are not bi, that you are then sexist?

Taste is nothing to do with racism or prejudice.
I guess in a way you could say that, however, saying it would be sexist sounds weird.

However, there's a difference, overall you don't choose your sexual orientation ( well some people say that for example homosexuality is a choice but I don't really agree) while tastes in race features are tastes. Attraction to one gender is a more "general" thing.
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
likeing, race, races, racism


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Caucasian races still exist? Earl_of_Rochester Art and Cultural History 32 March 9th, 2011 07:26 AM
Human races beorna General History 86 August 12th, 2010 05:40 AM
The Races of Europe Isoroku295 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 20 April 3rd, 2010 10:52 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.