Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #151

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Lazy mediterranean
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 3,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
Would you say that if you are not bi, that you are then sexist?

Taste is nothing to do with racism or prejudice.
Also, what do you think of my beauty contest example? ( I really like it =P )

Would excluding someone from partecipating in it only because of their race be a racist discrimination?
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #152
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,933

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
You haven't answered my question regarding the beauty contest
Of course I have, as anyone could easily verify.

Guess that if someone were knowingly defending any evidently lost cause, attempting irrelevant fallacious red herrings ad nauseam could seem like worth a try as a desperate last resource.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #153
Suspended indefinitely
Member of the Year
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: ------------
Posts: 24,135
Blog Entries: 9

Will you paste the comment? I can't be arsed scrolling back to look for it. Thanks.
Brisieis is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #154

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Lazy mediterranean
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 3,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
Will you paste the comment? I can't be arsed scrolling back to look for it. Thanks.
Let's say we have a beauty contest regarding miss japan. Would be racist to exclude a black woman (who has japanese citizenship) from that contest, because she wouldn't be a good rapresenter of the typical beauty of japanese?

Isn't that a discrimination, since you're not allowing someone to do something, just because of their race?
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #155
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,933

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
Let's say we have a beauty contest regarding miss japan. Would be racist to exclude a black woman (who has japanese citizenship) from that contest, because she wouldn't be a good rapresenter of the typical beauty of japanese?

Isn't that a discrimination, since you're not allowing someone to do something, just because of their race?
Wow, the paradigmatic blatant fallacious straw men never end here

At the risk of overstating the obvious; excluding anyone from anything is not any mere taste, not by any standard.

It would be social discrimination, more exactly the racism that you explicitly do find "ok" for some people under your blatantly fallacious moral double standard.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, huh???
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #156

Zarin's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMadison View Post
Exactly my point! The reason for treating them differently is important, something Bartie's argument ignores, to the detriment of his argument. The mere fact they are treated differently is not racism per se, as Bartie contends.
If white men tend to score better on certain tests or skills, just as black men are better at certain athletic skills, does this mean artificial compensation should be introduced to balance out any of the seemingly inequalities between the races reguarding any particular arena? Or should we just go with the inequalities? If someone is superior in any skill shouldn't this superiority be rewarded reguardless of race? If certain races actually do have superior abilities over each other should this be acknowledged or just swept under some rug? This can become a very slippery slope no matter how it is approached.
Zarin is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #157

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Lazy mediterranean
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 3,404

delete
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #158
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Indiana
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
That's like saying that you aren't attracted to women, but to the features they have, that is boobs, vagina etc. In a way it's true, but come on, you would still say that you like women.
Exactly right!!! It is the features they have. After all, men do not have vaginas, women do. Men do not have breasts, women do. If you are attracted to these features, then you are going to be attracted to women and not men. If, however, if you are a male and you are attracted to male features, then you are going to be attracted to men, not women. However, this line of reasoning does not end at this point. We can take this line of reasoning further.

In addition to the features which make a woman a woman, and has a man attracted to women on the basis of those female features, a man may be attracted to women with dark skin, or light skin, blue eyes, brown eyes, hazel or green eyes, red hair, strawberry blonde, blonde, black, dark brown, brown hair, and some other men may not care at all, they just like women. To a Hispanic male, a pale, long blonde haired, blue eyed woman may have more sex appeal to him and arouse him sexually more often and more strongly than a dark haired woman, with brown eyes, and brown hair. On this basis, the Hispanic male prefers to date and pursue, not surprisingly, those in which he has a stronger sex appeal to and sexual desire for those women possessing characteristics igniting his sex appeal and sexual desires, pale, long blonde haired women with blue eyes.

It isn't racism when the Hispanic male pursues and prefers a woman possessing those characteristics over another woman. He is, once again, attracted to certain features more than others and those features just so happen to be predominantly/exclusively among a particular race. He is basing his decision on his sexual drive and desire, which is driven and ignited by an innate attraction to certain features and this isn't racism.

This is an extension of the logic of men being attracted to the features of a vagina, boobs, etcetera, because this is sexually appealing to them, they have a sexual desire for those female features. Not surprisingly men, like women, seek to act upon those sexual desires and fulfill them by purusing someone of the opposite sex (or same sex if they are attracted to same sex features) because their sexual desire is for those physical features. Similarly, some men have a stronger sexual desire for women with certain other characteristics and traits than for women without those traits and understandably they pursue those women with those traits more so, indeed prefer those women with those traits, than those women lacking those traits. This isn't racism. This is pure unadulterated sexual desire ignited by attraction, a desire to share one's genetic code, one's DNA with a member of the opposite sex who possesses those physical traits which really arouse the sexual desires.

That is not racism. What you are talking about is not racism. This notion we must be equally attracted to women of all races otherwise we are racists is an untenable claim. As I said previously, there is a difference between, "I like white women because they are white and I do not like other races of women because they are not white" and "I like X, Y, and Z features," and those features just so happen to exclusively be found among a particular race. It is the features which forms the basis of attraction and sexual preference, not the race itself.
JamesMadison is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #159

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Lazy mediterranean
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 3,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Wow, the paradigmatic blatant fallacious straw men never end here

At the risk of overstating the obvious; excluding anyone from anything is not any mere taste, not by any standard.

It would be social discrimination, more exactly the racism that you explicitly do find "ok" for some people under your blatantly fallacious moral double standard.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, huh???
Continuosly calling fallacy any point made by who you disagree with doesn't give yours any more importance.

So, in short , you find that type of exclusion unaccetable, while for me is a perfectly rational and acceptable form of discrimination.

We'll have to agree to disagree as long as you understand that accepting one type of discrimination doesn't necessary mean accepting all type of it , like the jew star.
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #160
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,933

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
You just insulted my point and called it a fallacy, with no real response
Calling the elementary identification of you countless obvious fallacies here any "insult" simply couldn't be any cheaper additional fallacy.

As anyone could easily verify, of course.

Actually, the elementary identification of you countless obvious fallacies here is usually called "common sense".

Just try to do your homework, as everyone else here; rest assured it's not rocket science.

And of course, just pretending not to see "real responses" of the size of a Universe wouldn't make them any less real, not an inch.


Desperate times really call for desperate measures, huh?????
sylla1 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
likeing, race, races, racism



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Caucasian races still exist? Earl_of_Rochester Art and Cultural History 32 March 9th, 2011 08:26 AM
Human races beorna General History 86 August 12th, 2010 06:40 AM
The Races of Europe Isoroku295 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 20 April 3rd, 2010 11:52 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.