Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #161
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Indiana
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
Let's say we have a beauty contest regarding miss japan. Would be racist to exclude a black woman (who has japanese citizenship) from that contest, because she wouldn't be a good rapresenter of the typical beauty of japanese?

Isn't that a discrimination, since you're not allowing someone to do something, just because of their race?
I find this example puzzling because you confuse race and nationality in this post.
JamesMadison is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #162

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,907

@James, as I said I see your point, however to me it just seems a semantic complication.

Let's say men and women are two sets, (M and W) each of them are made by a certain amount of different objects (legs, boobs, penis, heads etc).

Obviously we have a M∩W of the common objects of the two sets. Then we have a certain amount of objects wich are peculiar to M, and another which are peculiar to W.

You like women because of these peculiar objects of W. You also like things from M∩W (because let's say an ear it's neutral object when it comes to preferring one gender over the other). While it's true that the set and its objects are formally distinct things, I would still say that you like W itself.

Last edited by The merchant of Venice; November 15th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #163
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
Also, what do you think of my beauty contest example? ( I really like it =P )

Would excluding someone from partecipating in it only because of their race be a racist discrimination?
Now you are finally beginning to get the quid.

It's the exclusion...
(and of course not any mere taste, as you have so fallaciously pretended ad nauseam above)
... which is an action of social discrimination based in prejudices against the perceived ethnicity and/or nationality.

See?
No rocket science
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #164

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMadison View Post
I find this example puzzling because you confuse race and nationality in this post.
Any homogenous country like japan or the european ones (though things are changing due to immigration but that's another point) tends to have some set of physical appareance features that are common with that country.

(Obviously they are often shared with many near/similar countries)

That's why a black woman as miss japan would be absurd, since she wouldn't be a good rapresentation of how japanese women are
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #165
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
@James, as I said I see your point, however to me it's just seem a semantic complication.

Let's say men and women are two sets, (M and W) each of them are made by a certain amount of different objects (legs, boobs, penis, heads etc).

Obviously we have a M∩W of the common objects of the two sets. Then we have a certain amount of objects wich are peculiar to M, and another which are peculiar to W.

You like women because of these peculiar objects of W. You also like things from M∩W (because let's say an ear it's neutral object when it comes to preferring one gender over the other). While it's true that the set and its objects are formally distinct things, I would still say that you like W itself.
I'm actually beginning to worry about any reader who may imagine that this is just some kind of staged dramatization to make our obvious point on racism here even more obvious...
(If that would be possible, of course)

Boys & Girls, please don't try any such thing at home; it's simply unrequired.
Facts are facts; easy as that,
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #166

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Now you are finally beginning to get the quid.

It's the exclusion...
(and of course not any mere taste, as you have so fallaciously pretended ad nauseam above)
... which is an action of social discrimination based in prejudices against the perceived ethnicity and/or nationality.

See?
No rocket science
I think you have misunderstood me from the start then, I never denied that some racist action that I find acceptable are discriminations
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #167

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
I'm actually beginning to worry about any reader who may imagine that this is just some kind of staged dramatization to make our obvious point on racism here even more obvious...
(If that would be possible, of course)

Boys & Girls, please don't try any such thing at home; it's simply unrequired.
Facts are facts; easy as that,
The example is grotesque but it makes sense; since the entire issue regarding race (like the one of specie that we talked about earlier) is a matter of nominalism, it also makes sense to approach it from a pure conceptual point of view
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #168
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
I think you have misunderstood me from the start then, I never denied that some racist action that I find acceptable are discriminations
Don't worry, rest assured that your elementary commonplace apology on racism is not that complex; i.e. it's not rocket science either.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #169

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,907

Whatever mate lol, keep telling my points are worthless. Guess having any centralised response is gonna be impossible
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #170
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
Whatever mate lol, keep telling my points are worthless. Guess having any centralised response is gonna be impossible
Actually, I did never say that your points may be worthless.

I just over-stated the evident fact that all such countless fallacies couldn't be any more absurd to the Nth degree...
No more, no less.

(Including the nice fallacious red herring of the "centralised response", of course)
sylla1 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
likeing, race, races, racism


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Caucasian races still exist? Earl_of_Rochester Art and Cultural History 32 March 9th, 2011 07:26 AM
Human races beorna General History 86 August 12th, 2010 05:40 AM
The Races of Europe Isoroku295 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 20 April 3rd, 2010 10:52 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.