Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #41
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Bulgaria
Posts: 1,985
Blog Entries: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanboy View Post
Facebook but it's promoted all over the world, whenever there is a poster about multi naturalism and inter racial dating it's got a black guy and a white girl

Oh god, Facebook is full with teens who don't know anything about life but pretend to know much better than the adults. It is a paradise for immaturity.

Of course not all facebookers are like this, but the majority are teens who think they are awesome and create incredibly immature pages all the time followed by equally childish comments and discussions.

About the topic, only if you think the other races are inferior than you is considered racism. For example, if a woman wants to adopt a white baby than a black one for example, that doesn't make her a racist, otherwise it would have been forbidden.
Stefany is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #42

Aulus Plautius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
See my previous post. Racism in general is viewed as bad, so anything regarding it is considered wrong, to the point that even people doing these choices have the urge of saying that is not racist
On a strict reading of what defines "racism" your point is well-taken. I would simply point put is that you can prefer to date in your own race, but still not feel you are superior to another race. Blacks that marry blacks are not necessarily anti-white nor are whites that marry whites are not necessarily anti-black. Are they racist for doing so? Not in my opinion, but to some, I can see there logic that it may be, but I see those people as needing a life.
Aulus Plautius is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #43

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,944

I would say that they're racist, and in that case there's nothing wrong with it
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #44
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanboy View Post
I only ask this because I have seen an increasing amount of internet pages being made for "white women who like black guys" and some of the stuff I read know there is what I would consider racism against whites yet they feel they are the most unracist people around.
You know, deliberately or not, this commentary couldn't be any more racist to the Nth degree.

Because it is fallaciously pretended here that such white woman would have preferred black men just specifically for being black.

Clearly because it is expected from any white woman to naturally & automatically discriminate against blacks.

Because it is clearly implied that no one would choose the own partner based in anything but race.


Exactly the same could have been said about the myriad "Aryan" women "preferring" Jewish men in the Germany of the 1930s.

(As exactly the same was actually historically said about them, of course)

Creepy, huh?

Last edited by sylla1; November 13th, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #45
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: May 2010
From: Rhondda
Posts: 2,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanboy View Post
I was wondering if someone who prefers a race over other ones or shows off their love for a certain race is labelled as a racist or not?
There is only one race.
Iolo is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #46

Naomasa298's Avatar
Bog of the Year
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 21,411

This thread is an argument over semantics.

Finding people of one ethnicity more attractive than another is not generally considered racism as far as the common usage of the term goes, even though it might strictly and technically be considered so according to a book definition.

I suspect people who are looking for explicit definitions are doing so to justify their own racism.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #47

bartieboy's Avatar
.
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: The Netherlands
Posts: 6,565
Blog Entries: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298 View Post
This thread is an argument over semantics.

Finding people of one ethnicity more attractive than another is not generally considered racism as far as the common usage of the term goes, even though it might strictly and technically be considered so according to a book definition.

I suspect people who are looking for explicit definitions are doing so to justify their own racism.
Because of the negativity around the word people are afraid to be called racist while it would be hard to find a person that has no racism in him/herself at all.
bartieboy is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #48
Jedi Knight
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Indiana
Posts: 4,917

Race is more than a color. There are cultural differences. The question reminds me of the time a Black co-worker said I was racist because I didn't like rap music.
Mike McClure is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #49
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: May 2010
From: Rhondda
Posts: 2,964

People belong to various groups, of which a 'race' is an abstract bit of archaic science some old-fashioned or aggresive people like. Why phrase an interesting question in this anachronistic way?
Iolo is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #50

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298 View Post
Finding people of one ethnicity more attractive than another is not generally considered racism as far as the common usage of the term goes, even though it might strictly and technically be considered so according to a book definition.
Erm, no. The contrary often happens , if you say that you find black women ugly and thus would be hard for you to date one, you would probably be called racist
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
likeing, race, races, racism


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Caucasian races still exist? Earl_of_Rochester Art and Cultural History 32 March 9th, 2011 07:26 AM
Human races beorna General History 86 August 12th, 2010 05:40 AM
The Races of Europe Isoroku295 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 20 April 3rd, 2010 10:52 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.