Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015
Your favorite way to argue on a forum


What kind of discussions do you enjoy? I will give my type of "fun" or "meaningfulness" and I hope I will get feedback on other peoples' preferences.

I know some people will wrongly assume that I am being critical of styles different from my own. Nothing could be further from the truth. We all feel more comfortable on different threads at different times depending on the style of argument and the subject of course. I prefer the conversational style, keeping the posts short enough to read in a minute or less. This style can be emotional, which is good if you and your threadmates can control their emotions, and it can be very entertaining. It can also go off course and result in the Mods having to intervene.

I have noticed other styles on subjects that interest me, but there seems to be so much more research done in posts, with a dozen quotes being offered in one post, or maybe a quote that will take 10 minutes to read because it is long. That I find intimidating a bit, as if I should go read or re-read a book before I join that argument.

What do you think?
Virgil is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015

I should have done like Pedro and called this thread "Naked Ladies".
Virgil is offline  
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
.
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Valles Marineris, Mars
Posts: 4,835

wait why?
Gorge123 is offline  
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Pacific_Victory's Avatar
SEMISOMNVS
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: MARE PACIFICVM
Posts: 4,883

Good evening Virgil my friend,

Personally I enjoy the conversations that take from both of your examples. The ones that are mostly conversational but with occasional "epic post" which provides numerous examples and sources for a claim and can really reinvigorate a thread. I also despise when people use Ad Hominems.
Pacific_Victory is offline  
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorge123 View Post
wait why?
It draws attention Gorge. Anyway the cavalry is arriving, I see Pacific Victory and Rongo at the bottom of the screen, you can't do any better than that.
Virgil is offline  
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Victory View Post
Good evening Virgil my friend,

Personally I enjoy the conversations that take from both of your examples. The ones that are mostly conversational but with occasional "epic post" which provides numerous examples and sources for a claim and can really reinvigorate a thread. I also despise when people use Ad Hominems.
I can tell you why I think some people use the Ad Hominems. If you observe politics in the US, or the world, that is an acceptable form of campaigning. Unfortunate, but common. I think that popular culture uses that form of argument as well. It is kind of like the "Strawman" technique.
Virgil is offline  
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #7

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

For me, in general, the more fact is in a thread and the less opinion, the better. Threads where people just beat each other the head with their opinions are a big waste of time for me. You'll rarely change anyone else's opinion with your own opinion. Facts, on the other hand, can make a difference.

But there are also certain threads that call for opinion. Where appropriate, these can be nice to see where people stand. But these are usually the Lounge type threads, rather than the historical threads.
Rongo is offline  
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #8

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
I can tell you why I think some people use the Ad Hominems. If you observe politics in the US, or the world, that is an acceptable form of campaigning. Unfortunate, but common. I think that popular culture uses that form of argument as well. It is kind of like the "Strawman" technique.
The ABSOLUTE WORST is the Ad Hitlerums. There was a while there were it seemed like that was going on in practically every other thread. I have to admit I was getting pretty fed up with this forum back then. But fortunately (knocking on wood), that has toned down a lot lately.
Rongo is offline  
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #9

Woofinator9's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 52
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
It draws attention Gorge. Anyway the cavalry is arriving, I see Pacific Victory and Rongo at the bottom of the screen, you can't do any better than that.
if i could do any thing i wish for the naked lady I would press the heck yeah button or more mature the face palm button
Woofinator9 is offline  
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #10

Pacific_Victory's Avatar
SEMISOMNVS
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: MARE PACIFICVM
Posts: 4,883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
The ABSOLUTE WORST is the Ad Hitlerums. There was a while there were it seemed like that was going on in practically every other thread. I have to admit I was getting pretty fed up with this forum back then. But fortunately (knocking on wood), that has toned down a lot lately.
I remember that

the way I see it, opinions are worthless without facts, but facts are dry without opinion. It takes both.

@Virgil, you are absolutely right. In fact, almost every logical fallacy is accepted as legitimate in the public discourse. Unfortunate really. The sad fact remains that the masses are usually swayed with emotion rather than cool reason.
Pacific_Victory is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
argue, forum


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new to the forum shona.scribes New Users 14 December 2nd, 2009 09:21 AM
looks around the forum togidubnus New Users 11 October 6th, 2009 02:40 PM
New to this forum pilotka New Users 9 November 5th, 2008 01:17 PM
new to this forum FJ and G New Users 16 September 10th, 2007 11:58 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.