Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


View Poll Results: Race, ethnicity or species?
Race 9 32.14%
Ethnicity 18 64.29%
Species 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #111
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Victory View Post
Perhaps. But the term 'race' is loaded with the implication that some races are 'more equal than others'. Where as 'skin color' indicates that the difference is, quite literally, skin deep, 'race' implies that there is some underlying difference in respective natures.
Wouldn't the same issues arise with the term culture? yet we have no problems in talking about something, which is vague too, like american or british or italian culture
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #112

Sargon of Akkad's Avatar
Backworldsman
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: Glorious England
Posts: 6,971

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Guess it's no surprise that wolfs of the same pack would try to care for each other, huh?
Are you feeling defensive, sylla?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Seems the bland dystopia is truly a nightmare for more than one...
Why do you hate the other races? Why don't you want them to exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Now, if you would like to answer the same question, please be my guest.
Why would a mono-racial humanity be a bland dystopia? Because there'd be no variety in what I'm looking at, of course. Now, would you like to answer a question or would you like to carry on being evasive?
Sargon of Akkad is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #113
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon of Akkad View Post
That's all we're saying. Race is not in itself an offensive thing, or shouldn't be, as it is simply a word for the scientific classification of the differences in human beings. It isn't something that ranks them in some kind of order of preference.
This may be a surprise, but some people often use this inherently confusing term just to disguise their discriminatory agenda.

If an ethnicity is an ethnicity, then where does this obsession on an inherently confusing term come from?

Please answer; it's the same valid question.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #114
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Italia
Posts: 1,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Guess it's no surprise that wolfs of the same pack would try to care for each other, huh?

Seems the bland dystopia is truly a nightmare for more than one...

Now, if you would like to answer the same question, please be my guest.
What about just answering why a world without racial differences would not be less interesting for you? Would you like if there were only brunette women?

Last edited by The merchant of Venice; November 16th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #115
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon of Akkad View Post
Are you feeling defensive, sylla?



Why do you hate the other races? Why don't you want them to exist?



Why would a mono-racial humanity be a bland dystopia? Because there'd be no variety in what I'm looking at, of course. Now, would you like to answer a question or would you like to carry on being evasive?
Why should you take it personal any commentary against racism?

Even worse; why do you have to so blatantly lie and pretend that any other people may hate other races?

Because this is actually a serious slander in Historum.
(No kidding)

After all, it is not me who is terrified by the "bland dystopia" of the Homo sapiens sapiens.

If anyone has to answer for any racism here, it is definitively not me.

Any guesses?
Then, don't tell me; it's just not required.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #116

Pacific_Victory's Avatar
SEMISOMNVS
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: MARE PACIFICVM
Posts: 4,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
Wouldn't the same issues arise with the term culture? yet we have no problems in talking about something, which is vague too, like american or british or italian culture
No, because culture deals with values, motivations and non-physical characteristics.

For example, I could say that most Italians like pasta. That is a cultural trait of Italians. That does not mean ALL Italians like pasta. However, the fact that someone is Italian means there is a probability that they will like pasta. The same cannot be said of a race. White, black, hispanic or asian men born and raised in Italy are equally likely to like or dislike pasta, because skin color and genetic characteristics are not an indicator of anything aside from, well, skin color and other physical features.
Pacific_Victory is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #117

Pacific_Victory's Avatar
SEMISOMNVS
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: MARE PACIFICVM
Posts: 4,682

@Sargon,

Looking at the poll results I see that you actually voted for the term 'ethnicity'? I thought you were here to make the case for 'race'?
Pacific_Victory is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #118
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
What about just answering why a world without racial differences would not be less interesting for you? Would you like if there were only brunette women?
I really hope you may be even remotely aware of what an extremely absurd straw man is pretending that the "world without races" that scares you so much would imply all humans being identical clones.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #119
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Victory View Post
@Sargon,

Looking at the poll results I see that you actually voted for the term 'ethnicity'? I thought you were here to make the case for 'race'?
Actually, from the OP it seems clear he was exclusively targeting a specific Historumite.

God only knows who.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #120

Brisieis's Avatar
Historian
Member of the Year
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: UK
Posts: 16,033
Blog Entries: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Actually, from the OP it seems clear he was exclusively targeting a specific Historumite.

God only knows who.
The flaws of being popular eh Sylla!
Brisieis is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
ethnicity, race, terminology


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regarding Ethnicity Mischef_Managed Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 10 December 14th, 2011 02:46 AM
Byzantine army terminology gordopolis Medieval and Byzantine History 30 June 29th, 2011 11:54 AM
Military Terminology History Chick War and Military History 17 August 31st, 2010 05:47 PM
Different Faces of One Ethnicity Jhangora General History 20 June 24th, 2010 11:38 AM
Norwegian vs English terminology Kristin History Help 14 November 13th, 2009 12:16 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.