Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


View Poll Results: Race, ethnicity or species?
Race 9 32.14%
Ethnicity 18 64.29%
Species 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #151

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298 View Post
Like I said on another thread, you're looking for an excuse to say "some racism is good, so all racism is good".
You're putting words in my mouth (do you have this saying in english?)
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #152

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Would you explain here why is it so?
Because it removes a specific feature of a country. Japanese wearing western clothes instead than their traditional ones is a similar issue of "not a good thing" , to make a comparison
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #153

Pacific_Victory's Avatar
SEMISOMNVS
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: MARE PACIFICVM
Posts: 4,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
Because it removes a specific feature of a country. Japanese wearing western clothes instead than their traditional ones is a similar issue of "not a good thing" , to make a comparison
You are talking about loss of culture, which is a completely different thing.

As I said earlier, culture is not dependent on race. An Italian with dark skin who was born and raised in Italy is just as likely to like pasta as a white one.

Last edited by Pacific_Victory; November 16th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Pacific_Victory is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #154

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 15,033

What a lovely discussion

"Nature has never read the Declaration of Independence. It continues to make us unequal."

Will Durant
arras is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #155

Naomasa298's Avatar
Bog of the Year
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 21,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by The merchant of Venice View Post
You're putting words in my mouth (do you have this saying in english?)
No, I'm drawing a conclusion based on your words.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #156
Jedi Knight
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Indiana
Posts: 5,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298 View Post
You're awfully keen to point out the differences between different "races". Like I said on another thread, you're looking for an excuse to say "some racism is good, so all racism is good". You can dress it up and try to justify it however you like. It doesn't make it any more acceptable just because you say "But look! This kind of racism is good!".
Different is not a value judgement. If I say that Blacks are different from me does not mean I am saying they are less than me. Diversity is what makes the World interesting
Mike McClure is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #157
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by arras View Post
What a lovely discussion

"Nature has never read the Declaration of Independence. It continues to make us unequal."

Will Durant
Good to see you here, my friend.

Sorry for Mr Durant & you, but you are simply misreading the Declaration of Independence; nowhere does it state that humans may be clones...

You're right, we have already been here more than once.

The difference is of course that such was a more serious thread.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #158

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298 View Post
No, I'm drawing a conclusion based on your words.
Wrong conclusion, but I guess I can't convince you of that
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #159

The merchant of Venice's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: .
Posts: 1,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Victory View Post
You are talking about loss of culture, which is a completely different thing.

As I said earlier, culture is not dependent on race. An Italian with dark skin who was born and raised in Italy is just as likely to like pasta as a white one.
Race is strictly related to it's culture and helps defining it and its identity
The merchant of Venice is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #160

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 15,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Good to see you here, my friend.

Sorry for Mr Durant & you, but you are simply misreading the Declaration of Independence; nowhere does it state that humans may be clones...
Good to see you as well Still caring out the fight against forces of nature

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by arras; November 16th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
arras is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
ethnicity, race, terminology


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regarding Ethnicity Mischef_Managed Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 10 December 14th, 2011 03:46 AM
Byzantine army terminology gordopolis Medieval and Byzantine History 30 June 29th, 2011 12:54 PM
Military Terminology History Chick War and Military History 17 August 31st, 2010 06:47 PM
Different Faces of One Ethnicity Jhangora General History 20 June 24th, 2010 12:38 PM
Norwegian vs English terminology Kristin History Help 14 November 13th, 2009 01:16 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.