Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


View Poll Results: Race, ethnicity or species?
Race 9 32.14%
Ethnicity 18 64.29%
Species 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #191

Silkroad's Avatar
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: USA
Posts: 158

So then the consensus is that:
Homo sapiens is a species
Race is something we do to get from one place to another faster than the next guy
Ethnicity is what defines and individual on the basis of shared ancestry, physical traits, language, and social norms to name a few.

At the DNA level, we are a species; for political reasons we construct the concept of race so that we can look down upon each other; in order to make sense of our differences we look at ethnicity and makes sure that we have little round holes to force our square little behinds into and all in the name of convenience and sociopolitical labeling.
Silkroad is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #192

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 14,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
But science works for the colour blind...
Public transport also works for colour blind yet it use colour semaphores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
Human physiology has nothing to do with race... Human races are a social illusion... Dog races and cat races on the other hand... (Unless you use the word race for a competition where the goal is to cover a distance in less time than other competitors).
Race are based on several different things. Because "race" means simply sub-division. You can look at its definition. For example here: Online Etymology Dictionary - race

Yes, surprisingly race which in your opinion does not exist have etymological definition.

But human race in biology is almost entirely based on physiology:

Quote:
Modern meaning of "one of the great divisions of mankind based on physical peculiarities"

Last edited by arras; November 18th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
arras is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #193

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 14,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
You are well aware of the fallacious nature of bare denial, right?

That said, any other point about the OP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
An irrelevant fallacious straw man is actually a poor response for such relevant hard evidence so timely shared with us.
Poor fallacious fish is well aware of red straw. Relevant man is timely going to eat them both because OP scores points in response.
arras is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #194

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 14,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkroad View Post
So then the consensus is that:
No, that is your own manipulation. No such consensus all along this thread.
arras is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #195

Silkroad's Avatar
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: USA
Posts: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by arras View Post
No, that is your own manipulation. No such consensus all along this thread.
Ok, then it is MY understanding of the various concepts. I doubt that I can be accused of manipulation, since there is no evidence of that happening.

Then again, those with vested interest in the ideology of race might just have their underwear on too tight in that regard and feel threatened by the formulation offered. Oh well, so sorry for hoping that racism is disappearing slowly from academia.
Silkroad is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #196
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by arras View Post
Poor fallacious fish is well aware of red straw. Relevant man is timely going to eat them both because OP scores points in response.
I would never be able to say it with all such clarity.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #197
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by arras View Post
Public transport also works for colour blind yet it use colour semaphores.
Actually, those semaphores expect colour blind people to rely on other people

Quote:
Originally Posted by arras View Post
Race are based on several different things. Because "race" means simply sub-division. You can look at its definition. For example here: Online Etymology Dictionary - race

Yes, surprisingly race which in your opinion does not exist have etymological definition.

But human race in biology is almost entirely based on physiology:
Human race does not exist, not in my opinion, but in the conclusions scientists have arrived to... So-called racial differences are skin-deep... You can call yourself a racialist, but you are still racist. Come out of the closet, you are racist.
coldshot is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #198

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 14,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkroad View Post
Ok, then it is MY understanding of the various concepts. I doubt that I can be accused of manipulation, since there is no evidence of that happening.

Then again, those with vested interest in the ideology of race might just have their underwear on too tight in that regard and feel threatened by the formulation offered. Oh well, so sorry for hoping that racism is disappearing slowly from academia.
Academia did not read declaration of Independence?

Common, people do not have to agree on everything, do they?
arras is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #199

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 14,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
I would never be able to say it with all such clarity.
But you can inspire others
arras is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #200

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 14,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
Actually, those semaphores expect colour blind people to rely on other people
Public transport -trams, buses, trolleys, trains, metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
Human race does not exist, not in my opinion, but in the conclusions scientists have arrived to... So-called racial differences are skin-deep... You can call yourself a racialist, but you are still racist. Come out of the closet, you are racist.
(emphasise by me)
I am not sure but do you realise you just recognized that "racial differences" exist? Which makes you racist bye the way Welcome!

There is enough physical difference between people and is distributed in such a way that people noticed it and gave it the names. And while it is primarily based on physiology, it actually goes deeper than skin in some instances. Like for example alcohol resistance or disposition to certain illnesses.
arras is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
ethnicity, race, terminology


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regarding Ethnicity Mischef_Managed Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 10 December 14th, 2011 02:46 AM
Byzantine army terminology gordopolis Medieval and Byzantine History 30 June 29th, 2011 11:54 AM
Military Terminology History Chick War and Military History 17 August 31st, 2010 05:47 PM
Different Faces of One Ethnicity Jhangora General History 20 June 24th, 2010 11:38 AM
Norwegian vs English terminology Kristin History Help 14 November 13th, 2009 12:16 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.