Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #21

Ashiusx's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: New York City
Posts: 568
Blog Entries: 2

Our feelings towards it may be ambivalent. Doesn't rule out the possibility of being one. According to the Kardashev scale one world government is a strong possibility as mankind's technological prowess grows and develops.
Kardashev_scale Kardashev_scale
Ashiusx is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #22

okamido's Avatar
knows what the bee knows
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: land of Califia
Posts: 27,025
Blog Entries: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefred View Post
Agreed, wholeheartedly. I think N. Cali should secede and join Oregon, Wash. and Idaho to form a new state. We'll then evict Portland and Seattle and send them to S.Cali. San Fran will be put on probation.
Double secret probation.
okamido is offline  
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #23
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagul View Post
Still, I can do my thing in my own nation without them caring of what I do.
Are you sure? See what happened to DotCom...
coldshot is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #24
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasus View Post
From another thread a discussion about the following emerged:
To a start we assume it is possible. What is to be said about its possitive or negative potentials, pro or contra?
Some suggestions:
"Economy of scale" may be an argument for, the same for getting rid of wars (except civil wars).
Against it:That errors and their consequences become larger with scale. That what works in some part of the planet may not do so elsewhere.
IMHO it largely depends if it would be a World democracy or a World totalitarianism.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #25

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 12,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by okamido View Post
Negative. I can't even get along with the various geographical areas of my own State, so I doubt that the wants and needs of some fisherman in Caspiar is going to be high on my political agenda.
What is Caspiar? Or did you mean Caspian?
arras is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #26
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasus View Post
The lack of outside example would be much more extreme. And I am not so sure a world government would be any solutions to internal problems of the system, like power abuse, all kinds of erratic decisions, bad leadership etcetera. It could as well be much more of it. The big potential gain I could imagine is that international problems or external as we know them would disappear.
On the contrary I expect that power abuse would be harder to commit in a world government because you have more eyes focused on what you do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linschoten View Post
Awful idea, it would tend to reduce cultural variety, and not to have alternative forms of government is surely a threat to freedom. Imagine if we were all trapped in a world state with a self-appointed government like that of China.
Many countries have a single government yet they maintain cultural variety...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funakison View Post
I am another one against it, regional, cultural and and varying economic conditions would tear it apart as fast as you can stick it back together.
Regional, cultural and economic conditions have not torn appart large countries in the past, why would they tear appart a world government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Even if there was a world government, Prefecture Japan would still fight Province Russia, County America would still invade District Iraq. The possibility of a World War would be just as likely, except that you'd put a "Civil" between "World" and "War".
County America? Would that be from Patagonia to Alaska? (Because America is a continent you gotta know, not a country, so it would not be just a county)... Anyway, in a unified world government there would be no armies (how you keep order without armies? Well, there would be police forces, but police forces wield different weaponry that armies, it would be impossible for Prefecture Japan to attack Province Russia), military power would be split into short regions or districts (No Province Russia, but a district yakutia, a district sakhalin and so on), any internal conflict would be illegal (there would be legal means, peaceful means, to solve disputes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by okamido View Post
Negative. I can't even get along with the various geographical areas of my own State, so I doubt that the wants and needs of some fisherman in Caspiar is going to be high on my political agenda.
So your shortsighted egoism is an excuse not to do what could be better for humanity as a whole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjadams View Post
One world government? INSANE!
There are too many different views of what government
should be & how it is carried out.
The very idea sends shivers down my spine in horror and
ignites my fuse for rebellion.
That there are many different ideas of what a government should be makes all of them right? So you would rebel just because?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
One world government = One world inquisition.
Wrong, the only inquisition we have known was carried out by the Catholic church, a political and religious authority, however a one world government would not be theocratic for it to even work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Rainbow View Post
This idea is open to corruption, unless proper rules and regulations to stop the people in power taking complete control of the worlds wealth and resources.
Completely agree with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorian View Post
I think the reverse. We need MORE separate governments.
Break up the large nations into smaller, more representative little nations.

If a tiny nation like Czechoslovakia finds itself better off split up, maybe more nations should do that.
Curious thing that you say it... Czechoslovakia broke into the Czech Republic and Slovakia because its inhabitants did not felt a cohesive culture to keep them together... But now they are together again and with an even larger population because they are members of the European Union... So... Administrative regions can brake down without that meaning that they cannot work together as a single country... Or maybe from your perspective the European Union does not work like a single country... but it is becoming more like one as time goes on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
IMHO it largely depends if it would be a World democracy or a World totalitarianism.
I agree with this... a World Democracy is what I would defend...
coldshot is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #27
Scholar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Northern part of European lowland
Posts: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
On the contrary I expect that power abuse would be harder to commit in a world government because you have more eyes focused on what you do...


I cannot see Your expectations are supported by evidence from experience. I am not entirely opposed to any coordination of the world, and have good impression aboput some of the ideas behind the UN - the example that come closest. But I think it work far from perfect - and there are examples of greed, probably power abuse too. The many eyes makes such failure difficult hypothesis has simply not worked here. Nor does it necessarily work for very populous countries, since there is probably a tendency for increased complexity with size, that more than ouitweights any hypothetical gains by "more eyes". Europeans allready have some experience of this, with the big EU-system. I can hardly see how many of us can say they know better what is going on or have more democratic "control" - on the contrary.
Fantasus is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #28
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasus View Post
I cannot see Your expectations are supported by evidence from experience. I am not entirely opposed to any coordination of the world, and have good impression aboput some of the ideas behind the UN - the example that come closest. But I think it work far from perfect - and there are examples of greed, probably power abuse too. The many eyes makes such failure difficult hypothesis has simply not worked here. Nor does it necessarily work for very populous countries, since there is probably a tendency for increased complexity with size, that more than ouitweights any hypothetical gains by "more eyes". Europeans allready have some experience of this, with the big EU-system. I can hardly see how many of us can say they know better what is going on or have more democratic "control" - on the contrary.
The question is not if it would be perfect but if it would be better... You don't see the UN or EU falling into what the Soviets or Nazi Germany fell into...
coldshot is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #29

gregorian's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
Curious thing that you say it... Czechoslovakia broke into the Czech Republic and Slovakia because its inhabitants did not felt a cohesive culture to keep them together... But now they are together again and with an even larger population because they are members of the European Union... So... Administrative regions can brake down without that meaning that they cannot work together as a single country... Or maybe from your perspective the European Union does not work like a single country... but it is becoming more like one as time goes on...
There are contradictory forces in play.
The need for Representation, in that a too large nation cannot represent the culture and wishes of a too large population.

But there is also the need for Muscle. You need the money and military to push your wishes on the world stage. We have the big Corporate Nations... the USA, China... who stomp on the rest of the world to get their way, which the little mom-and-pop nations have to bend and align with the big guys to get by.

So the little guys have to band together. EU, ASEAN. Hopefully co-operating without getting excessively bullied by the middlesized corporate nations in their group.
gregorian is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #30

okamido's Avatar
knows what the bee knows
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: land of Califia
Posts: 27,025
Blog Entries: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
So your shortsighted egoism is an excuse not to do what could be better for humanity as a whole?
My shortsighted egoism is nothing compared to your unbridled na´vetÚ, thinking that something the magnitude of a one world government could ever possibly work. Western governments can't handle the fiefdom-like mentalities that currently pop up in in the name of diversity within their own nations, so to think that it would work on some grand scale is beyond laughable.

Also, now that we have exchanged barbs, I would advise you to not attack individuals that you wish to debate with. It doesn't go over well here.
Quote:
Historum.com Rules and Guidelines

The Historum.com website ("Historum" or the "Site" for short) is the place to discuss significant events and influential people of the past. If you haven't done so already, please register for a free account. By registering, you will be able to access additional content and features including the ability to interact with other users.

Please review the following Rules and Guidelines which were designed to help ensure a good experience for everyone. By using the Site, you agree to our Terms of Use and these Rules and Guidelines as amended from time to time. If you do not agree, then you may not access or otherwise use the Site.

The Golden Rule
Always be respectful of Historum and other users, the moderators, and administrators. We put Historum online in good faith, please use it in good faith.

How To Post
Please post your messages in the appropriate place, whether in reply to an existing discussion (or "topic") or starting a new topic. Before starting a new topic, first check that no active topic exists concerning the same subject. Give your topics a descriptive title, write a coherent message, and format it so that it is easy for others to read. Messages should be written in the English language or include an English language translation. Please do not post the same message in multiple places. Any message or topic concerning religion must be posted within the Religion forum. For more information about how to use the forum, please see here.

Post Quality
We expect users to exercise their best judgment whenever posting. Please consider whether each post will offer value to users. You may not post any material which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, pornographic or sexually explicit, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or is in violation of any law, the Terms of Use and these Rules and Guidelines. Profanity is not permitted in posted messages and many expletives are automatically removed by the forum software. You may not use your account for recruitment to any cause whatsoever, fundraising for charity or otherwise, advertising, luring our users to other websites in competition with Historum, or any other call to action. Additionally, please read Pericles' guidelines on conducting a discussion and avon's guidelines for citing sources.

Editing Posts
As more fully set out in the Terms of Use, we reserve the right to edit, move, or delete any posted message or other content, however, we will make our best effort to protect your privacy and respect the integrity of your posts.

When quoting another member, do not edit their text, be it to 'make a point', to be sarcastic, or to be humorous.

Intellectual Property
We respect the intellectual property of others, and we ask you to do the same. Please keep any quotes of third party content as short as possible and provide proper attribution to the source.

About Moderators
Moderators are users who contribute their time to keep Historum a safe and friendly place that is conducive to discussion. They help users with the website and enforce these Rules and Guidelines. Please cooperate with them. Moderators and administrators may send private messages to users who have run afoul of the Rules and Guidelines. If you have received such a message, please read it, take the steps indicated if any, and move on. Comments posted by moderators (and all other users) do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Historum or its owners. Feedback about moderator or administrator actions are welcome and should be sent via the contact form or the private message system.

Violations
We prefer not to block any user's access to the Site but we can and will do so if necessary. If we believe, in our sole discretion, that your conduct or the user content you provide violates or is inconsistent with the Terms of Use, these Rules and Guidelines, or the law, then we may terminate your access to the Site or exercise any other remedy available.

Accounts
You may not establish or use more than one account. Your account is for your personal use only and may not be used on behalf of any other person. Please do not share your password with anyone.

Signatures
A signature is a block of text or image which is automatically appended to the bottom of posts. Signatures may be used to "sign" your name or username. Signatures are subject to the same conditions as other posts as well as the following additional conditions: Signatures may not be excessively large, contain any animation, more than 2 external links, or more than 4 lines of text.

Let's All Get Along
The Historum community consists of many people with vastly differing beliefs. Please try to be tolerant of the beliefs of other people and remember "The Golden Rule" above. And finally... welcome to Historum.com!
okamido is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
possitive or negative, world government


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The concept of "negative rights" philosopher Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 11 August 18th, 2012 12:02 PM
Name two positive things your country did to the world and two negative jeroenrottgering General History 64 June 14th, 2011 03:08 PM
New World Government Gile na Gile War and Military History 1 August 8th, 2008 08:44 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.