Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:42 AM   #31

Rasta's Avatar
Spiritual Ronin
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Minnesnowta
Posts: 21,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Victory View Post
Interesting theory.

@Rasta, couldn't the fourth dimension be discarded if we think of God as eternal (timeless)?
Can space exist without time? The argument from the OP seems to be based on three spacial dimensions being necessary for existence.
Rasta is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:45 AM   #32

Mancipium ut pudor's Avatar
Citizen
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: In the Milky Way, on Earth, in the USA, in NY
Posts: 33
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficino View Post
It seems it was not very correctly explained to you, because the Triune God is meant to be undivided and without parts, the Persons are meant to be consubstantial etc. It is impossible to find correct analogies for the Holy Trinity, and in what I am concerned, I see no points in trying to make such analogies.
Thank you very much for the correction, and I agree with you. This is beyond the limits of our recognition. The only thing is that I kinda pointed this out when I said the thing about 3D vs 2D beings. We are 2D compared with God who is a 3D/4D/5D etc.. Therefore, he simply stated the truth, but we can not comprehend it.

But you are right. I probably should not have even made the analogy. Thank you Ficino.
Mancipium ut pudor is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:22 AM   #33
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Romania
Posts: 3,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
Because Holy Churches have a way of setting up Holy Inquisitions.
If you meant the punishment for heresy, from the spiritual perspective of the Holy Church, to be put under anathema is the most severe, one more severe doesn't exist (Galatians 1:6-9). From the temporal perspective, there are laws which deal with different offences, and heresy was sometimes included amongst those offences. Such laws may vary from times to times and from places to places, whilst the doctrines of the Holy Church cannot change.
Ficino is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:47 AM   #34

Rasta's Avatar
Spiritual Ronin
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Minnesnowta
Posts: 21,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficino View Post
If you meant the punishment for heresy, from the spiritual perspective of the Holy Church, to be put under anathema is the most severe, one more severe doesn't exist (Galatians 1:6-9). From the temporal perspective, there are laws which deal with different offences, and heresy was sometimes included amongst those offences. Such laws may vary from times to times and from places to places, whilst the doctrines of the Holy Church cannot change.
They have changed though have they not?
Rasta is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:51 AM   #35
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Romania
Posts: 3,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
They have changed though have they not?
I don't think so. Whomsoever brings innovations in matters of faith is immediately under anathema, because the doctrines of the Holy Church are protected from modifications by anathemas.
Ficino is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM   #36

Rasta's Avatar
Spiritual Ronin
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Minnesnowta
Posts: 21,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficino View Post
I don't think so. Whomsoever brings innovations in matters of faith is immediately under anathema, because the doctrines of the Holy Church are protected from modifications by anathemas.
Very clever semantics. So it doesn't matter how much people in the church change their opinions, beliefs, and dogma concerning the interpretation of doctrine right?

So for example the Pope saying that people from other faiths can gain salvation would not count to you as a change in doctrine?
Rasta is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #37
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Romania
Posts: 3,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
Very clever semantics. So it doesn't matter how much people in the church change their opinions, beliefs, and dogma concerning the interpretation of doctrine right?

So for example the Pope saying that people from other faiths can gain salvation would not count to you as a change in doctrine?
And if the pope said such a thing, so what? I am not Catholic. But re: what the pope says, I can recommend you a very good book. It deserves a read:

Amazon.com: The Destruction of the Christian Tradition, Updated and Revised (9780941532983): Rama P. Coomaraswamy: Books
Amazon.com: The Destruction of the Christian Tradition, Updated and Revised (9780941532983): Rama P. Coomaraswamy: Books

Ficino is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM   #38

Rasta's Avatar
Spiritual Ronin
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Minnesnowta
Posts: 21,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficino View Post
And if the pope said such a thing, so what? I am not Catholic. But re: what the pope says, I can recommend you a very good book. It deserves a read:

Amazon.com: The Destruction of the Christian Tradition, Updated and Revised (9780941532983): Rama P. Coomaraswamy: Books
To an outsider it seems like an obvious change in doctrine. Going from only Christians gaining salvation to not only Christians gaining salvation.

Oh you're not Catholic? What's your tradition?
Rasta is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:35 AM   #39
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Romania
Posts: 3,107

@Rasta:
I am Eastern Orthodox Christian, and my tradition is the Holy Apostolic tradition. If for whatever reasons you don't want to read the book, you can read at the link below the series of articles from which the book developed:
Biography of Rama Coomaraswamy on Studies in Comparative Religion
Ficino is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:39 AM   #40

Rasta's Avatar
Spiritual Ronin
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Minnesnowta
Posts: 21,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficino View Post
@Rasta:
I am Eastern Orthodox Christian, and my tradition is the Holy Apostolic tradition. If for whatever reasons you don't want to read the book, you can read at the link below the series of articles from which the book developed:
Biography of Rama Coomaraswamy on Studies in Comparative Religion
Cheers thanks.
Rasta is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
god, individualism, trinity


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Collectivism VS Individualism Zarin Speculative History 10 October 17th, 2012 09:07 AM
Greek Trinity, political conjecture Marcus Clayman History Help 8 November 7th, 2010 06:53 AM
The Trinity wittgenstein Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 5 August 4th, 2009 08:11 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.