Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #91

joker_girl's Avatar
Citizen
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: USA
Posts: 32

I like to get a bit of a tan in part because that way, I don't burn so bad. Also, I think it looks good, and makes my legs look thinner if I am wearing shorts. And it saves you from the misery of pantyhose if you have to wear a dress, God forbid. But I am naturally sort of pale and freckled, and really, I think I just probably end up with more freckles.
I do like not getting fried if I am in the sun more than ten minutes, though.
People seriously do that crap over wedding dresses? That looks like a black Friday Walmart scene. Which also is insane. I went and got measured and had them order my wedding dress. It was totally drama free! Any time there is a crowd like that, I run the opposite way.
joker_girl is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #92

The Cell's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Following the breeze
Posts: 1,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientgeezer View Post
I hold dual-nationality. I lived in SA from from 1973 to 2009 (with some time out in Hong Kong) and ,technically, it is still my home. I am also a member of the African National Congress.
I did however only join the latter in 1991 in order to help my wife at the time get the contract for organising their first post-unbanning conference.
Talk about selling your soul to the devil, but I suppose the end justifies the means... Anyway, the old ANC was far better than the current one..
The Cell is offline  
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #93
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 2,598
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulus Plautius View Post
I remember reading an Economist article a few years ago called the "Culture of Whiteness.". IIRC the concept of whiteness in certain cultures, especially Asian cultures, such as the Japanese and the Chinese cultures, predated the age of European colonization. The idea of whiteness is an obsession not only among Asians but also among Europeans as well. A cursory glance at some of anthropological forums will find numerous threads as to who which European group is whiter. These discussions are as juvenile as they get, but show the obsession that certain groups have on this subject.

I think here the consideration may be, a tan means you work in the sun. If your skin is light, perhaps you have money and do not have to work in the sun. It is assuming that we have gone from white skin meaning you don't have to do hard labor in the sun, to meaning you have the luxury of sun bathing.
athena is offline  
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #94
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 2,598
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cell View Post
I have to say, this is predominant in South Africa. It all comes down to the fact that for hundreds of years, because of SA legislation, the lighter your skin the better treatment you received. To put this into better perspective for you, back in the days, at the bottom of the food chain was black peopleClick the image to open in full size., treated harshly because of their dark skin tone. Then came the colouredClick the image to open in full size., who while they were still treated harshly, were far better of than black people, why? Because their skin tone was lighter than black people. And the chain moves on and on from here...
You made me remember, dark skinned people made better slaves. because they did not die as easily as lighter skinned native Americans. Also dark skinned people of Africa were apt to have desired skills, because of similarities in African and European civilizations.

Why African Slaves ?
athena is offline  
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #95

Black Dog's Avatar
Idiot of the year 2013
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: Damned England
Posts: 8,054
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Oh I dunno, some of the girls I've liked the most have pasty white skin and dark brown/black hair.

Most other men go for blondes or tanned as you say, probably with big knockers. I must be the odd one out.
I didn't realise you were so fussy I used to prefer blondes (with big knockers). Gentlemen prefer blondes, and so did I. But there's so many suicide blondes around here, I'm more drawn to brunettes now. Preferably with big knockers, but cookery skills are important, too. Mrs Dog will not cook even at gunpoint, dammit.
Black Dog is online now  
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #96

Robespierre's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,440

Everyone who posted in this thread is just playing the race card. And it makes me sick. Sick!

No. But it's funny that you can say someone is playing the race card and not realize that you yourself are doing the same thing just by saying it.

See, this is the Matrix.
Robespierre is offline  
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #97
Lecturer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 252

It's a funny thing about those "ideal" characteristics. I can tell you what i think is ideal in great detail, then suddenly i see a woman who doesn't meet that ideal at all, and somehow i find her very attractive. But skin tone is just one of those characteristics.
NonXNonExX is offline  
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #98

Black Dog's Avatar
Idiot of the year 2013
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: Damned England
Posts: 8,054
Blog Entries: 2

Agreed. I don't think I could write down exactly what I'm attracted to, for that very reason. Some women, who are not particularly beautiful, just "have it" and often this is down to personality.
Black Dog is online now  
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #99
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 2,598
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Agreed. I don't think I could write down exactly what I'm attracted to, for that very reason. Some women, who are not particularly beautiful, just "have it" and often this is down to personality.
Agreed, some men and women just have it, and they could be purple, and it wouldn't matter. What is really curious is how rarely we feel this major attraction for another. Well for me, it is very rare. I am not sure it is even the person, because the next meeting may not be so intense. I just know I have felt very attracted to light and dark skinned people.

I am not sure what the race card is, but I am white and one of great grandsons is dark skinned. My granddaughter is maybe a little darker than me, but I didn't notice that until it became an issue for her in school. I have a pretty multiracial family, mixed with English, German, native American, and those from African decent. My family includes homosexuals and people with mental problems. While my father was an engineer for NASA. I don't think a family could be any more diverse than mine.
athena is offline  
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #100
Just me
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: --
Posts: 6,170
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Agreed. I don't think I could write down exactly what I'm attracted to, for that very reason. Some women, who are not particularly beautiful, just "have it" and often this is down to personality.
It's not about the other person though, it's about what emotions they bring out in us. That is what makes us fall in love, it's all about us. And there's no saying who will bring out what in us which is why so often those who are not at all our 'type', so to speak, win our hearts.
Rosi is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
white


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White squaw Virgil American History 13 December 6th, 2012 04:22 PM
White Tribes Zeno General History 8 November 27th, 2011 07:00 AM
A Black and White War Toltec War and Military History 27 December 22nd, 2009 04:12 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.