Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology Forum - Perennial Ideas and Debates that cross societal/time boundaries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #11
hop
Lecturer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 334

Quote:
In Victorian England and before that time, thieves were hanged. It was later discovered that many of these thieves were starving, and had nothing to lose. They'd die within days no matter what. Yet, the British government imposed the death penalty for theft.
Not to go too far off the general point, but the death penalty for theft had been abolished before Victoria came to the throne. In the first 32 years of Victoria's reign there were 350 executions in England and Wales, 345 were for murder and 5 for attempted murder.

Even in the second half of the 18th century execution for less serious crimes was rare. The average was about 100 total executions a year, which suggests thieves weren't getting executed very often. Common theft rarely attracted the death penalty, although burglary, robbery etc did, on occasion.

The last man to be hanged for theft from a shop was William Reading, in 1822, who broke in to a jeweler's shop/house and stole 2,000 of jewelery, a huge sum in those days.
hop is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Denmark
Posts: 1,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomasa298 View Post
So what is it that you've been punished for that you don't think you deserve? I'm guessing, by all these posts you make about how people are cruel towards each other and how society punishes people who don't deserve it, and how you can't go out for reasons you can't or won't discuss (despite continually dropping hints about it), that you're possibly in jail for something you don't think you deserve. Of course, if you don't want to say, I can understand that too.
I have never committed a criminal offense, and I have never recieved any sentence nor any accusation. I have a clean record.

That said, I still have compassion towards those who are jailed, despite the fact that I cannot have empathy.

The reasons I cannot got out has to do with my health, not crime.
philosopher is offline  
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #13

okamido's Avatar
knows what the bee knows
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: land of Califia
Posts: 27,698
Blog Entries: 19

Thank goodness that you and the other 2% that meet your criteria are there to raise the bar for the rest of us.
okamido is offline  
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Denmark
Posts: 1,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
1. If animals had the intelligence we do, they may very well be worse for all we know.

2. Why are your friends and you are the only un-evil in the world, or part of the 2%?

3. Evil is subjective so if you declare almost every person on earth is evil you best define exactly how? For instance, are there different degrees of evil, or are you just catergorizing the whole of humanity under one label. IMO this is incorrect, different cultures have different definitions, each individual human has a different definition. So why is it you can just round everyone up into the same label.

What is paradoxical about your notion is that you claim to be in the good 2% and you think things such as the holocaust were proof of this evil existing. Yet, it was exactly this type of mentality which caused the holocaust in the first place. Yes the whole "we are the good guys, all those people are simply evil" mentality is exactly what Hitler thought too.

I'm not claiming in any way that you do not find the holocaust a terrible tragedy for humanity, I just would like you to look at what you are saying by stepping ouside the box, to see how it can be slightly hypocritical.

I am however in agreement with you in a some-what different way, that I believe all people have the capability to cruel and many do get thrills from it. I just think it is unfair to label 98% of humaity with evil. Careless, maybe? Selfish, maybe? Sheep, definitely! But evil? I'm not too sure there...
I'm just getting frustrated that so many people don't understand me that I ascribe it as pure evilness. I hope I am wrong.
philosopher is offline  
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Scholar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 519

We understand that you do ascribe it to pure evilness, it's just that you haven't explained WHY you think it is pure evilenss.

You cite the example of people being hanged for stealing in Victorian times. Now, firstly, you were wrong to say that, because, as has been explained to you, nobody was hanged for merely stealing after Victoria came to the throne - so you were wrong there weren't you? But secondly, the fact is we now live in a world where nobody is given the death penalty for stealing. So would you say that the evilness of the past has now gone?
fascinating is offline  
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Denmark
Posts: 1,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinating View Post
We understand that you do ascribe it to pure evilness, it's just that you haven't explained WHY you think it is pure evilenss.

You cite the example of people being hanged for stealing in Victorian times. Now, firstly, you were wrong to say that, because, as has been explained to you, nobody was hanged for merely stealing after Victoria came to the throne - so you were wrong there weren't you? But secondly, the fact is we now live in a world where nobody is given the death penalty for stealing. So would you say that the evilness of the past has now gone?
I admit I was wrong about the hanging for theft. My guess was 100 years off.
philosopher is offline  
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #17

Black Dog's Avatar
Idiot of the year 2013
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: Damned England
Posts: 8,054
Blog Entries: 2

I am probably the biggest misanthrope you could ever meet. I do my damned best to avoid humans. I don't even consider myself to be human. My day starts just fine, just me and my dog, but the minute I meet some two legged highly misnamed "Homo Sapiens" morons (aka "Nature's only beast" copyright Black Dog 2005) my day just gets worse. I live more or less in a permanent rage because of them. "MOVE you slack jawed, dozy, fat arsed bunch of halfwits" was one of today's rants towards those with the damned habit where I live of people in their 50's and 60's just walking into the road when cars are coming. They just gape at me.........like sheep.

Although I've known some very nice sheep, except the kamikaze anti-English ones they train as guerillas in North Wales.....

But evil? No. The masses are simply mindless. Most of humanity is mindless. The herd instinct can and does overpower every kind of morality or right from wrong there is. I've said this before, for every Francis of Assisi, we have a few million who'd sign up to be hangmen or guards at a concentration camp. Of course, they're "not guilty, just following orders".

Humans are capable of the most incredible mental gymnastics, and this is because, like water, they try to find the easiest course. They'll conveniently ignore moral qualms if they get in the way of self gratification. If this wasn't true, neither capitalism, imperialism nor modern Western politics would last a month.

Evil? No, just mindless. I can't decide which is worse.
Black Dog is offline  
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #18

Black Dog's Avatar
Idiot of the year 2013
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: Damned England
Posts: 8,054
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
I have never committed a criminal offense, and I have never recieved any sentence nor any accusation. I have a clean record.
Yes, many times to the first (although there are many things I won't do, like steal from people or mug old people) and likewise to the rest, except the accusation bit. Pure as driven snow, me.
Black Dog is offline  
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #19

larkin's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,699
Blog Entries: 5

Black Dog is right. The masses of people do not question and will cheerfully go along with the most appalling edicts. The most dreadful of crimes can be rationalized as beneficial and be made to appear reasonable.

I can't speak for the UK but here in the US I have seen two presidents approve of and allow torture. I have seen the suspension of habeas corpus. I live in a country where I am compelled to present my identity papers to the police. These elements are the very foundation of tyranny.

So who do I owe allegiances to, the individual or the State?

I have heard from various sources that police and prisons regularly consider a low IQ in hiring. This is considered a plus. Why, because these people do not ask questions, these people don't challenge the status quo. There is no shortage of them.

History taught in school is glossed over or neglected and consequently the majority has no past and consequently no reference to the present. They can be molded in to any shape by force and power to serve any ends. In the past, it was done brutally and today it is done with artful sophistication. Just turn on cable news.

I'll ask again, who do I owe allegiances to, the individual or the State?

Quote:
Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
George Orwell
larkin is offline  
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #20

Rasta's Avatar
Spiritual Ronin
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Minnesnowta
Posts: 20,747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I am probably the biggest misanthrope you could ever meet. I do my damned best to avoid humans. I don't even consider myself to be human. My day starts just fine, just me and my dog, but the minute I meet some two legged highly misnamed "Homo Sapiens" morons (aka "Nature's only beast" copyright Black Dog 2005) my day just gets worse. I live more or less in a permanent rage because of them. "MOVE you slack jawed, dozy, fat arsed bunch of halfwits" was one of today's rants towards those with the damned habit where I live of people in their 50's and 60's just walking into the road when cars are coming. They just gape at me.........like sheep.

Although I've known some very nice sheep, except the kamikaze anti-English ones they train as guerillas in North Wales.....

But evil? No. The masses are simply mindless. Most of humanity is mindless. The herd instinct can and does overpower every kind of morality or right from wrong there is. I've said this before, for every Francis of Assisi, we have a few million who'd sign up to be hangmen or guards at a concentration camp. Of course, they're "not guilty, just following orders".

Humans are capable of the most incredible mental gymnastics, and this is because, like water, they try to find the easiest course. They'll conveniently ignore moral qualms if they get in the way of self gratification. If this wasn't true, neither capitalism, imperialism nor modern Western politics would last a month.

Evil? No, just mindless. I can't decide which is worse.
Yes I agree with you Black Dog. Also much that we view as evil seems to be motivated by fear and much of fear motivated by ignorance.
Rasta is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology

Tags
evilness, social, theory


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Theory of social progress. Valery Staricov Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 3 December 7th, 2012 07:15 PM
Social Evolutionism or Great Man Theory? Aulus Plautius Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 17 September 11th, 2012 10:56 PM
Rexamining the concept of social contract theory CIowa Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 3 September 24th, 2011 08:12 AM
The earliest people theory and the Theory of the Bantu-sent tribes etamaze Middle Eastern and African History 0 August 8th, 2011 07:21 AM
Social Contract Theory Wobomagonda Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 58 October 10th, 2009 02:53 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.