Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Speculative History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Speculative History Speculative History Forum - Alternate History, What If Questions, Pseudo History, and anything outside the boundaries of mainstream historical research


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:43 AM   #21
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Connecticut
Posts: 2,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylouis View Post
that is why it is planed half a year before the launch, a middle way satellite will be sent into sky first.
we are not just talking around and taking it as an ambitious matter. we are serious on scientific research.
Of course that was an objective of Apollo too. But why the averted side? To get a better understanding of the ancient lunar highlands? The averted side has fewer maria and may be less interesting "geologically" overall.
But I understand it would be a great place for a radio telescope, shielded from unwanted signals from Earth.

Last edited by starman; September 30th, 2016 at 07:46 AM.
starman is online now  
Remove Ads
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #22
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: China
Posts: 4,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Of course that was an objective of Apollo too. But why the averted side? To get a better understanding of the ancient lunar highlands? The averted side has fewer maria and may be less interesting "geologically" overall.
But I understand it would be a great place for a radio telescope, shielded from unwanted signals from Earth.
as i heard
1. yes. it is difficult due to communication problems, so will one face in a mars mission. it is good to get practiced.
2. the other side is just less known
3. yes, less radio pollution is good.
heylouis is offline  
Old October 1st, 2016, 05:45 PM   #23
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naima View Post
A satellite orbiting the moon could help.

China has already done that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutu_(rover)


and moving to sample return

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chines...ration_Program

soon there will be a communist flag on the moon planted by a Chinese man...
kazeuma is offline  
Old October 1st, 2016, 06:23 PM   #24
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Hungary
Posts: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
It sounds impossible. But assuming the Chinese pulled it off that could startle quite a bit of people. For starters because it is far beyond China's capabilities but also because no one else other than the United States has accomplished a manned landing. I don't even think China can actually put people in space let alone on the Moon. Of course I would ask you to clarify by "moon landing". Do you mean manned or unmanned?
China have put people on space

China have put rover on the moon

China have put satelite on orbit

China have put habitable space station on space, twice!

there is no reason China cant pull moon landing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Thesuperproify; October 1st, 2016 at 06:27 PM.
Thesuperproify is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2016, 02:22 AM   #25

larkin's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,461
Blog Entries: 6

I posed this question because I remember the shock that the Russian Sputnik had on the government.
As a young person, I was thrilled but it was the concern over Russian advancements that triggered the space race resulting with a landing on the moon in 1969.

I was wondering if a Chinese accomplishment might cause the US to refocus its efforts.

I was wrong. The Jade Rabbit rover on the Moon was news to me. The public's interest must have been so fleeting that most people missed it. But then, it's not much better for JPL.

China is a country that is doing the high tech grunt work making Iphones and computers. To think that they are not capable undervalues the significance of the "Jade Rabbit"
larkin is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2016, 10:08 AM   #26

Scaeva's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkin View Post
I posed this question because I remember the shock that the Russian Sputnik had on the government.
As a young person, I was thrilled but it was the concern over Russian advancements that triggered the space race resulting with a landing on the moon in 1969.

I was wondering if a Chinese accomplishment might cause the US to refocus its efforts.

I was wrong. The Jade Rabbit rover on the Moon was news to me. The public's interest must have been so fleeting that most people missed it. But then, it's not much better for JPL.

China is a country that is doing the high tech grunt work making Iphones and computers. To think that they are not capable undervalues the significance of the "Jade Rabbit"
Robots don't capture the public's attention in the way that a manned mission does. If China were to land people on the moon, it would get a lot more international media attention than their rover.
Scaeva is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:54 AM   #27
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Connecticut
Posts: 2,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaeva View Post
Robots don't capture the public's attention in the way that a manned mission does. If China were to land people on the moon, it would get a lot more international media attention than their rover.
Undoubtedly. But the downside is, they'd be investing enormous resources to do what uncle sam already did half a century ago. From the point of view of both national prestige and science, landing on Mercury or Mars would be better than landing on the moon. The latter has already been intensively studied, Mercury to a lesser degree.
starman is online now  
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:15 AM   #28

larkin's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,461
Blog Entries: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
It sounds impossible. But assuming the Chinese pulled it off that could startle quite a bit of people. For starters because it is far beyond China's capabilities but also because no one else other than the United States has accomplished a manned landing. I don't even think China can actually put people in space let alone on the Moon. Of course I would ask you to clarify by "moon landing". Do you mean manned or unmanned?
Perhaps you should view this clip..
For all we know the Pentagon's contractors may already be out sourcing to China for high tech. By doing this, the technology becomes theirs..(The rise of Sony in Japan is a similar story) And soon the Chinese will be cutting edge. This is the consequence of Wall St's short term goals.

Last edited by larkin; November 20th, 2016 at 05:27 AM.
larkin is offline  
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:31 AM   #29

larkin's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,461
Blog Entries: 6

My Lord, a rover on the Moon, how did I miss that?
What is interesting is how little coverage Chinese accomplishments in rocketry and space get in the Western press. The Chinese know that a real and irrefutable advancement in space will raise their country's stature in the world in the way it did for the US during the 60's and 70's.
larkin is offline  
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:39 AM   #30
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: uk
Posts: 1,230

If China offered a ton of cash to the US in order to get the technology to land on the Moon, then why wouldn't they? But tbh with how technology has increased from the 60s to now, surely they would already know what they needed to. I get that it must have been incredibly dangerous with 60s technology to land on our satellite, but now it must surely be far less hazardous?

I'm sure that if China lands on the Moon - regardless of which side - it will stir a little interest, but maybe just serve to remind people that this is 50 years after the US did it; as has been said, much more prestigious to go to Mars, and perhaps less dangerous than landing on the far side of the Moon?

The other option is to establish some kind of permanent landing module; the beginnings of a 'base'?

As for rivalry, with Trump saying he wants to have better relations with China and Russia, what better way than a JOINT mission? Much better to aim rockets into space than at each other...
paranoid marvin is online now  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Speculative History

Tags
chinese, landing, moon



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Effects of the moon landing Exodus History Help 19 December 13th, 2014 09:31 PM
Effects of the moon landing Exodus History Help 0 December 13th, 2014 03:49 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.