Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Speculative History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Speculative History Speculative History Forum - Alternate History, What If Questions, Pseudo History, and anything outside the boundaries of mainstream historical research


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:42 AM   #1

notgivenaway's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: UK
Posts: 5,383
If Hitler died in WWI, would there have still been a Führer?


Let's say Hitler dies from gas inhalation towards the end of WWI (he was actually in hospital for this towards the end of the war).

Germany still loses, of course, and the Kaiser abdicates. The Entente impose the Versailles Treaty still, since there is no reason not to. The Weimar state still suffers from a sick economy, and there is resentment building up over thee harsh Treaty.

Hitler had the success he did since he was a strong orator and single-minded, and could provide a vision for Germany in the dark 1920s. but then who else could have done this, if he weren't alive? Could Rommel? Or an aristocratic Nazi like von Runstedt? Or could there have been opportunity for a communist, or even neo-Imperial advocate? Maybe somebody would look to get Kaiser Wilhelm back, or his son/heirs?

Since Hitler was the right man to lead the Nazis in its infancy, due to his personality and oratory, if he didn't exist then they may not have got far. I suspect it couuld have been a communist party that stole this mantle, and any WWII could have been fought as a capitalist/communist war. Would this mean Stalin and this new German communist leader were close allies? Maybe. If so, and a war still broke out in the late 1930s, then new fronts would have emerged, and possibly China would have been a prominent ally for the British, French, and Americans, given Soviet threats to India, China, and Canada/USA in the Northern Pacific.
notgivenaway is offline  
Remove Ads
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 11,887

Hitler was a loser and if he could get to power then most anyone who was ruthless enough with no principles could....
tomar is online now  
Old June 8th, 2018, 12:02 PM   #3

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 12,093
Blog Entries: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by notgivenaway View Post
Let's say Hitler dies from gas inhalation towards the end of WWI (he was actually in hospital for this towards the end of the war).

Germany still loses, of course, and the Kaiser abdicates. The Entente impose the Versailles Treaty still, since there is no reason not to. The Weimar state still suffers from a sick economy, and there is resentment building up over thee harsh Treaty.

Hitler had the success he did since he was a strong orator and single-minded, and could provide a vision for Germany in the dark 1920s. but then who else could have done this, if he weren't alive? Could Rommel? Or an aristocratic Nazi like von Runstedt? Or could there have been opportunity for a communist, or even neo-Imperial advocate? Maybe somebody would look to get Kaiser Wilhelm back, or his son/heirs?

Since Hitler was the right man to lead the Nazis in its infancy, due to his personality and oratory, if he didn't exist then they may not have got far. I suspect it couuld have been a communist party that stole this mantle, and any WWII could have been fought as a capitalist/communist war. Would this mean Stalin and this new German communist leader were close allies? Maybe. If so, and a war still broke out in the late 1930s, then new fronts would have emerged, and possibly China would have been a prominent ally for the British, French, and Americans, given Soviet threats to India, China, and Canada/USA in the Northern Pacific.
I certainly don't see German right-wingers--including the German military--ever being willing to tolerate a Communist seizure of power in Germany. Also, I don't see this being accomplished at the ballot box either considering that, even during the Great Depression, the Communists never even managed to reach 20% of the vote in Germany.

In addition to this, I wonder if the Strasser brothers could become Germany's leaders during the Great Depression in this scenario. After all, I heard that they had some potential.
Futurist is online now  
Old June 8th, 2018, 12:13 PM   #4

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 22,612
Blog Entries: 19

It was like in Italy: at Rome the establishment was waiting for a "strong man" [any strong man] to give him the power.

If not Hitler may be Hess, Kohl, Auflauf … what you like best [with a bit of sane humor I wouldn't exclude Merkel …].
AlpinLuke is offline  
Old June 8th, 2018, 01:13 PM   #5
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,236

There was no end of People working towards some sort of authoritarian Regime. in Germany in the 1920s/1930s howver they were not particularity successful. I can't see another NSDAP leader being as sucessful Rohem or Strasser bothers just were not gong to sell the NSDAP on the popular enough to get there. Ludendofff was just past it by the 1930s and too politically Isolated. Genr Schlelcher was the 'political' General and without Hitler might have worked as a front for the Army, but I doubt it.
pugsville is online now  
Old June 8th, 2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: USA
Posts: 6,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomar View Post
Hitler was a loser and if he could get to power then most anyone who was ruthless enough with no principles could....
Hitler was a horrible human being, but he wasn't a loser. Closest comparison is some sort of evil religious prophet. Superb speaker, diabolical manipulatation skills, many said he was hypnotic in his ability to get others to do what he wanted without them fighting back or often even getting upset.
aggienation is offline  
Old June 8th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #7

Belgarion's Avatar
Cynical Optimist
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Australia
Posts: 6,171

Had Hitler not risen to power, the political, social and economic circumstances in post WWI Germany would have seen the rise of someone similar.

Last edited by Belgarion; June 8th, 2018 at 04:00 PM.
Belgarion is offline  
Old June 8th, 2018, 03:52 PM   #8

Pedro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Posts: 16,905
Blog Entries: 2

Since führer is the German word for leader or guide the answer to the op has to be yes.
If there was no Hitler there would still be a leader but if addressed as der Fürer is up for debate. On that I pass.

BTW it is spelled Fuehrer when the umlaut is not available.
Pedro is offline  
Old June 8th, 2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarion View Post
Had Hitler not risen to power, the political, social and economic circumstances in post WWI Germany would have seen the rise of someone similar.
Who?

Hitler was far from alone in seeking to establish some sort of authoritarian state. But it's extremely hard to see anyone other than Hitler in NSDAP doing it. None of the other NSDAP leadership seemed capable of unifying the party solidly and presenting a strong electoral appeal.

Schleicher might have remained Schleicher as Chancellor but hard to Schleicher opr some similar figure undertaking the revolution and remaking of society that Hitler did. Noneof teh right Wing politicians outside teh NSDAP seem capable either.
pugsville is online now  
Old June 8th, 2018, 04:52 PM   #10

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 12,093
Blog Entries: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Since führer is the German word for leader or guide the answer to the op has to be yes.
If there was no Hitler there would still be a leader but if addressed as der Fürer is up for debate. On that I pass.
You mean der Führer, correct?
Futurist is online now  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Speculative History

Tags
died, fuhrer, hitler, wwi



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If Hitler had died in 1938, would people today remember him differently? Russell Murray Speculative History 38 January 10th, 2018 01:06 PM
The Führer antiquarian European History 52 December 26th, 2015 02:01 AM
What Would The German Military Strategy Be If Hitler Died in July of 1944? EmperorTigerstar Speculative History 29 August 30th, 2015 02:30 PM
What if Hitler died at birth like he was meant to? Smarticle101 Speculative History 13 March 29th, 2010 04:50 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.