Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Speculative History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Speculative History Speculative History Forum - Alternate History, What If Questions, Pseudo History, and anything outside the boundaries of mainstream historical research


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Academician
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 75
World War 2: Germany did not attack Russia, Japan did not attack the US?


How would WW2 have played out if Germany did not attack Russia and Japan did not attack the US?

I don't think England could have won without them and would eventually had to surrender.
Leonidas is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Texas
Posts: 1,577

The U.S. was going to find its way into that war even if the Japanese never attacked. We were already de facto at war with the Kriegsmarine in the Atlantic before Pearl Harbor.
Eumenes is offline  
Old October 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Citizen
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: england
Posts: 22

I somehow doubt that america would of found there way into the war roosevelt was always relluctant to join the war even after many plees from churchill. the american people did not want war either. however after the attack of pearl harbour roosevelt and america where forced into the war so i feel that if japan had not attacked pearl harbour or issued any attack on america at all i do not think that america would of joined, however this is completly depentend on america not cutting off japans oil routes. i feel that as long as america was restricting japan of its supplies there was always going to be war between america and the axis. however upon the fact of russia or america not joining the war, i beleive that operation sea lion would of taken place eventually. however i do not beleive that, that would be the end of britain, there are many possibilities which i beleive the most likely is britons partaking in geuralla warfare against the nazi occupants. i beleive hitler would've had to devote most of his assets to overcoming the british spirit 'britons shall never be slaves'
Baleyfa is offline  
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumenes View Post
The U.S. was going to find its way into that war even if the Japanese never attacked. We were already de facto at war with the Kriegsmarine in the Atlantic before Pearl Harbor.
Must entirely agree; such de facto war was quite real and it was only a matter of time before the US were directly involved in the war in one way or the other.
sylla1 is offline  
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #5

Belloc's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: USA
Posts: 5,006

Even if Germany doesn't attack the USSR, Hitler still has to guard against any possible involvement of the Soviets in the conflict. Already the Soviets were in the middle of their massive rearmamant program and rebuilding of the Red Army when Barbarossa hit them. So it's probable that within a few years, the Soviet would enter one way or another.

Need we forget that Hitler's main geopolitical focus was in the East, and confided many times how much he hated having to fight the British, a nation he long admired and wanted as an alley.
Belloc is offline  
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleyfa View Post
I somehow doubt that america would of found there way into the war roosevelt was always relluctant to join the war even after many plees from churchill. the american people did not want war either...
You mean "would HAVE" and you're wrong about Roosevelt - he did want to get into the war but was struggling to find a way against domestic opposition.

Quote:
...i feel that if japan had not attacked pearl harbour or issued any attack on america at all i do not think that america would of joined, however this is completly depentend on america not cutting off japans oil routes. i feel that as long as america was restricting japan of its supplies there was always going to be war between america and the axis....
The whole point of attacking Pearl Harbor was because the USA was actively restricting Japan's ability to build an empire.
The USA would have declared on Japan sooner or later if Japan continued to aggressively expand so Japan sought to defeat the USA first in a preemptive strike.

The USA was already in a de-facto war against the German navy and sooner or later it would become a de-jure war.

Quote:
...however upon the fact of russia or america not joining the war, i beleive that operation sea lion would of taken place eventually. however i do not beleive that, that would be the end of britain, there are many possibilities which i beleive the most likely is britons partaking in geuralla warfare against the nazi occupants. i beleive hitler would've had to devote most of his assets to overcoming the british spirit 'britons shall never be slaves'
Your patriotism commends you however it was impossible for Germany to invade Britain at any time during WWII.
Poly is offline  
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
How would WW2 have played out if Germany did not attack Russia and Japan did not attack the US?

I don't think England could have won without them and would eventually had to surrender.
If Japan had not attacked the USA but instead transformed into a constitutional democracy the USA would have no need of its policies to deny Japan access to oil...and therefore there is no need for Japan to go to war at all.

If Nazi Germany decided to become rulers of Western Europe then there is no world war...Britain is eventually either defeated or persuaded to stop fighting and WWII becomes known as something like the war of European unification.

But Japan was an aggressive empire and Nazi Germany viewed the USSR as it's #1 enemy from the start.
Poly is offline  
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Kevinmeath's Avatar
Acting Corporal
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 7,918

It is difficult to see how Germany could have invaded Britain, the Royal Navy and RAF simply too strong and their Greman counterparts to weak.

However without the USA or USSR theres no way Britain could have beaten Nazi Germany.

Peace terms would have to been sought its just a matter of how severe ,or not , they would have been.
Kevinmeath is online now  
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #9

zwolf1215's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: New Jersey
Posts: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If Japan had not attacked the USA but instead transformed into a constitutional democracy the USA would have no need of its policies to deny Japan access to oil...and therefore there is no need for Japan to go to war at all.

If Nazi Germany decided to become rulers of Western Europe then there is no world war...Britain is eventually either defeated or persuaded to stop fighting and WWII becomes known as something like the war of European unification.

But Japan was an aggressive empire and Nazi Germany viewed the USSR as it's #1 enemy from the start.
I agree with most of this, except wouldn't Japan of continued trying to expand it's holdings in continental Asia?
zwolf1215 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwolf1215 View Post
I agree with most of this, except wouldn't Japan of continued trying to expand it's holdings in continental Asia?
If it did, the USA would have intervened.

Basically the USA had retarded japan's ability to wage war to the point that Japan only had enough oil to conduct operations for a few more months.

Either Japan seizes oil fields or it gives up on imperial conquest.
Poly is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Speculative History

Tags
attack, germany, japan, russia, war


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Germany helped Russia to demand Japan quit Manchuria? haimian European History 13 August 4th, 2012 08:00 AM
Dawn Attack Richard Stanbery American History 21 April 17th, 2010 12:28 PM
Why did Germany have plans to attack the US as early as 1897? magnus101 War and Military History 9 November 22nd, 2009 01:02 PM
How to defend from a sea attack? Gaki Asian History 6 July 30th, 2009 11:59 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.