Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Speculative History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Speculative History Speculative History Forum - Alternate History, What If Questions, Pseudo History, and anything outside the boundaries of mainstream historical research


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #121

EpicHistory360's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddyriddick View Post
No kidding. Our countries have cultures as different as night and day.
If you compare the United States' culture to other countries' cultures, Canada suddenly does not seem THAT different from the US.
EpicHistory360 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #122
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Florida
Posts: 1,332
Blog Entries: 1

I found the recent article about Wikipedia's language usage maps interesting to the discussion, check out the following:

Worldwide English usage on Wikipedia
Worldwide French usage on Wikipedia
Worldwide Arabic usage on Wikipedia

There are more French usage in the US than Canada, and there are lots of Arabic usage in the US, but not in Canada.

What does this tell us of the impact of language usage on the cultural and societal organization of the US and Canada?
PragmaticStatistic is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #123
Citizen
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Exclamation google made me join because of this thread :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho35 View Post
Well military is important. Social programs won't help us if we're dead.
When was the last time Canada needed their military? O yeah, it was when the United States invaded about 200 years ago to bring freedom and democracy. They met with enemy insurgents whom they slaughtered and pillaged before returning home. Since then it has been foreign wars, foreign peace-keeping, homeland decoration, and an ice storm. With a massive load of paranoia courtesy of the United States' joint-defense crap. And let's not forget tracking Santa Claus as he invades soveriegn air space every year.

If Canada got rid of its military there would be a massive spike in unemployment and the USA would probably invade again. IF the USA were not likely to invade Canada (that Manifest Destiny bs) then Canada really wouldn't have any need for a military.

This is a "Speculative History" i googled into. The question is "What if Canada and the USA became one country?" The answer is pretty obvious.
  • No more needing to risk being arrested for public indecency when you are trying to fly somewhere.
  • The money wouldn't all look the same
  • The 'War On Drugs' would end
  • No more idiotic supporting the president no matter what he does simply because of his job
  • Canada would finally have a southern coast to complement its eastern, northern, and western coasts

Why all the presumption that Canada would fold itself into the USA? There are 10 full pages of posts in this thread all on that presumption. That episode of NCIS LA this week reminded me that the USA is basically owned by China. Maybe Canada could negotiate a nice price on an American Purchase that includes Louisianna.

The accents do have variation but are quite similar, and nigh indescernable by those from other places on this planet.

Currently Canada's opposition party is not one of the traditional 'two parties' that are the norm in the USA but a 'fringe third party'. The idea of the USA's House Minority Leader being a Libertarian or Green party member is in the realm of science fiction but such does happen in Canada fairly regularly.

The electing the head of government is also quite different between Canada and the USA. In Canada it is generally the leader of the party with the most seats in parliament (House Majority Leader = President). Many people will vote for the local candidates purely based on the leaders of the parties. In the USA one casts a vote for whom they would like their state's electoral college voters to vote for and then said electoral college voters elect the president, usually voting unanimously by state for whomever won the popular vote on the general ballot of their respective states. The number of members of the electoral college is proportional but how they cast their votes is not.

Rob Ford is a *** **** ******* *******. Who knew someone was out there who could get elected who could make Stephen Harper and Geo. Bush look appealing!

Canadian television does have profanity and nudity and all those other things the FCC has banned and levies hefty fines for. We get the likes of The Sopranos, Nip/Tuck and The Borgias uncensored on broadcast network television (though they do have commercials and thus mess with the one-the-hour scheduling). Apparently even modest Lost Girl was edited for content when shown on basic cable in the USA. TV shows that are hits on one side of the border can be massive failures on the other side of the border ($#!+ My Dad Says, Saving Hope, Combat Hospital)

One other cultural difference - do you think there will be a mayor of Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, or Seattle any time soon who is a Muslim? Naheed Kurban Nenshi won the mayoral election in Calgary in 2010 with a fairly comfortable margin. He is a Harvard educated professor at Mount Royal University whose parents immigrated from Tanzania.
IAmOntarian is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #124

dagul's Avatar
Rabbit of Wormhole
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: In the bag of ecstatic squirt
Posts: 9,623

^The political and governmental structure as of the moment is certainly different because Canada used to be under the rule of the British Empire and so you have the parliament, in contrast to the U.S.A. that successfully revolted from the British Empire and so they have the Constitution and the presidential form of government.
dagul is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #125

Sankari's Avatar
What we have, we hold
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: 6th Century Constantinople
Posts: 3,336
Blog Entries: 1
Arrow


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessalonian View Post
What if Canada and the USA became one country?
I don't think the Canadians are prepared to accept the catastrophic drop in their quality of life that this would inevitably produce.
Sankari is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #126

dagul's Avatar
Rabbit of Wormhole
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: In the bag of ecstatic squirt
Posts: 9,623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I don't think the Canadians are prepared to accept the catastrophic drop in their quality of life that this would inevitably produce.
I know of some Americans who opted Canadian citizenship and migrated there.
dagul is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #127

Pacific_Victory's Avatar
SEMISOMNVS
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: MARE PACIFICVM
Posts: 4,883

When I was stationed in Washington State I was surprised by how little difference there actually is. We regularly went to Vancouver on the weekends and we would always run into Canadians in Seattle. There are a lot of people that go back and forth across the border quite regularly.

One thing I did notice in Vancouver is that groceries are ridiculously expensive. I ended up using it as an excuse to eat at restaurants every night.
Pacific_Victory is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #128

Belgarion's Avatar
Cynical Optimist
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Australia
Posts: 3,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Victory View Post
When I was stationed in Washington State I was surprised by how little difference there actually is. We regularly went to Vancouver on the weekends and we would always run into Canadians in Seattle. There are a lot of people that go back and forth across the border quite regularly.

One thing I did notice in Vancouver is that groceries are ridiculously expensive. I ended up using it as an excuse to eat at restaurants every night.
When I was in Seattle I noticed signs on all the vending machines asking people not to use Canadian coins!
Belgarion is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #129

Panthera tigris altaica's Avatar
In latrine Rex
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Texas
Posts: 5,863
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmOntarian View Post
When was the last time Canada needed their military? O yeah, it was when the United States invaded about 200 years ago to bring freedom and democracy. They met with enemy insurgents whom they slaughtered and pillaged before returning home. Since then it has been foreign wars, foreign peace-keeping, homeland decoration, and an ice storm. With a massive load of paranoia courtesy of the United States' joint-defense crap. And let's not forget tracking Santa Claus as he invades soveriegn air space every year.
That will make for a nice grade school question in a pop quiz-short essay form a couple of hundred years from now. Just imagine; Question: Just what the h3ll was NORAD thinking tracking Santa's route!?
Answer: Documents released in 2190 reveal that Santa was covertly labeled a terrorists by the US government in the early 1980's, when sources in the North Pole confirmed that Santa was planning on waging war against American retail outlet malls that threatened his nefarious global economic empire and his hegemonic hold on children's imaginations the world over....

Quote:
If Canada got rid of its military there would be a massive spike in unemployment and the USA would probably invade again.
There wouldn't a spike in unemployment. All the Canadian military men and women would come south. A kind of reverse covert invasion, eh! Sneaky Canucks.

Quote:
Why all the presumption that Canada would fold itself into the USA? There are 10 full pages of posts in this thread all on that presumption.
Well, seriously, a lot of Canadians don't spend a lot time contemplating the reverse. In fact, having the barbarian savages to your south folding into Canada sends shivers up the spines of well read Canadian nationalists. Imagine, the Canadian social utopia vanishing over night by the inclusion of the Yankee horde. Oh the horror.

Quote:
That episode of NCIS LA this week reminded me that the USA is basically owned by China. Maybe Canada could negotiate a nice price on an American Purchase that includes Louisianna.
Maybe you could. But if i were a Canadian I would be more worried about events taking place in the Canadian arctic and the loss of your sovereignty there.

Quote:
Currently Canada's opposition party is not one of the traditional 'two parties' that are the norm in the USA but a 'fringe third party'. The idea of the USA's House Minority Leader being a Libertarian or Green party member is in the realm of science fiction but such does happen in Canada fairly regularly.
It works for you up north with a small population base. But down south, with a large population base and so many vested interests in securing their own ends, nothing would ever get accomplished. Which, when it happens, kind and does brings things to a stand still down here. In fact, there is a push back going on against the certain vested interests.

Quote:
The electing the head of government is also quite different between Canada and the USA. In Canada it is generally the leader of the party with the most seats in parliament (House Majority Leader = President). Many people will vote for the local candidates purely based on the leaders of the parties. In the USA one casts a vote for whom they would like their state's electoral college voters to vote for and then said electoral college voters elect the president, usually voting unanimously by state for whomever won the popular vote on the general ballot of their respective states. The number of members of the electoral college is proportional but how they cast their votes is not.
Well, yeah, it is different down here. Unlike most other national entities given birth by Albion, the US is nearly alone of them in cutting the ties to mommies apron strings. So, yeah things would be set up just a tad bit differently in the US.

Quote:
Canadian television does have profanity and nudity and all those other things the FCC has banned and levies hefty fines for. We get the likes of The Sopranos, Nip/Tuck and The Borgias uncensored on broadcast network television (though they do have commercials and thus mess with the one-the-hour scheduling). Apparently even modest Lost Girl was edited for content when shown on basic cable in the USA. TV shows that are hits on one side of the border can be massive failures on the other side of the border ($#!+ My Dad Says, Saving Hope, Combat Hospital)
Never heard of these, this is interesting. However, what Canadian shows did fail south of the border are made up for with the multitude of Canadians celebrities who had succeeded in Hollywood.

Quote:
One other cultural difference - do you think there will be a mayor of Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, or Seattle any time soon who is a Muslim? Naheed Kurban Nenshi won the mayoral election in Calgary in 2010 with a fairly comfortable margin. He is a Harvard educated professor at Mount Royal University whose parents immigrated from Tanzania.
I say this respectfully, but... In light of Obama's election in 2008 and the fact that a lot of my black countrymen have been elected mayors to multiple major American cities in the North and South, AND... that there have been Muslims elected to serve in the senate from Indiana and Minnesota, Muslims serving as US ambassadors... not too mention thousands serving in the military with distinction and sadly some dying for a country they chose too serve. I fail completely to see the relevance of the question here?
Panthera tigris altaica is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #130

Panthera tigris altaica's Avatar
In latrine Rex
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Texas
Posts: 5,863
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagul View Post
^The political and governmental structure as of the moment is certainly different because Canada used to be under the rule of the British Empire and so you have the parliament, in contrast to the U.S.A. that successfully revolted from the British Empire and so they have the Constitution and the presidential form of government.
Canada does have a right to conduct there affairs independently. However, the head of state is still the British monarch. So it's not "used to be under British rule", but thatthey still are, nominally speaking of course.
Panthera tigris altaica is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Speculative History

Tags
canada, usa


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which country was the number one country in the seventeenth century? jeroenrottgering European History 223 November 26th, 2011 06:38 AM
Canada oshron American History 15 May 19th, 2010 04:17 PM
Hi from canada ccharp New Users 2 July 5th, 2006 05:00 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.