Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Speculative History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Speculative History Speculative History Forum - Alternate History, What If Questions, Pseudo History, and anything outside the boundaries of mainstream historical research


View Poll Results: Who would win?
Roman empire 6 40.00%
Ottoman empire 9 60.00%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 925
Roman empire vs Ottoman empire


Both at their height.

Who would win?
macro is offline  
Remove Ads
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2

Mangekyou's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: UK
Posts: 6,126
Blog Entries: 5

Well the Ottoman Jannisaries have firearms, so that doesn't bode well for the Romans, lol!
Mangekyou is offline  
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #3

Sam-Nary's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: At present SD, USA
Posts: 3,257

The Ottomans. They had guns and cannon, the Romans didn't at the height of their Empire, and even if you count the Eastern Roman Empire/Byzantine Empire as a continuation of Rome, remember that the Ottomans conquered the Byzantines. By the time of the Ottomans, technology had jumped too much for the Romans to have a chance.
Sam-Nary is online now  
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4

Mangekyou's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: UK
Posts: 6,126
Blog Entries: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Nary View Post
The Ottomans. They had guns and cannon, the Romans didn't at the height of their Empire, and even if you count the Eastern Roman Empire/Byzantine Empire as a continuation of Rome, remember that the Ottomans conquered the Byzantines. By the time of the Ottomans, technology had jumped too much for the Romans to have a chance.
I agree with this. Technology leap is just too much.

Although the question remains, would the Ottomans have been able to capture Constantinople without the huge canon of the Hungarian, Urban. Iirc he did offer his services to the city first.
Mangekyou is offline  
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5

Labienus's Avatar
Il Conte di Virtý
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 6,392

The Ottomans, no question. The Romans wouldn't be able to deal with canons, jannisaries and sipahis.
Labienus is offline  
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #6

Sam-Nary's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: At present SD, USA
Posts: 3,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangekyou View Post
I agree with this. Technology leap is just too much.

Although the question remains, would the Ottomans have been able to capture Constantinople without the huge canon of the Hungarian, Urban. Iirc he did offer his services to the city first.
I think that once the Ottomans secured the rest of the area around Constantinople, the Byantines were doomed. Even without the cannon they used to break down the walls, they could have still cut Constantinople off from all outside contact and straved the city into submission... Though it would take quite awhile to do so, given the cisterns and other stores that the Byzantines had added to Constantinople over the years and the countless sieges they'd had to repel.
Sam-Nary is online now  
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labienus View Post
The Ottomans, no question. The Romans wouldn't be able to deal with canons, jannisaries and sipahis.
why wouldn't they able to deal with Janissary and Sipahis? Not all Janissary had guns.
macro is offline  
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #8

Mangekyou's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: UK
Posts: 6,126
Blog Entries: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Nary View Post
I think that once the Ottomans secured the rest of the area around Constantinople, the Byantines were doomed. Even without the cannon they used to break down the walls, they could have still cut Constantinople off from all outside contact and straved the city into submission... Though it would take quite awhile to do so, given the cisterns and other stores that the Byzantines had added to Constantinople over the years and the countless sieges they'd had to repel.
Possible, but risky if it just involved naval blockade. Casualties in the real battle although not fully known, were thought to be quite high for the Ottomans.
Mangekyou is offline  
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #9

Labienus's Avatar
Il Conte di Virtý
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 6,392

Quote:
Originally Posted by macro View Post
why wouldn't they able to deal with Janissary and Sipahis? Not all Janissary had guns.
True. However, they had other infantrymen armed with muskets.

At their peak, the janissary corp was 50 000 strong (mid 17th century). These soldiers were very well trained and fired in volleys. They also had a bigger proportion of regular infantrymen armed with firearms. In addition, the Sipahis were heavily armored and were well trained.

The Ottomans would merely need to put their musket line in front of their cannons with their heavy cavalry on their flanks. There is nothing the Romans would be able to do in such a scenario.

Ottoman cavalry:

Click the image to open in full size.
Labienus is offline  
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #10

OakRidge's Avatar
Archivist
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Northern California
Posts: 203

The Romans were not unaccustomed to heavy cavalry. In fighting the Persians and other horsemen from the East they encountered the Kataphraktoi. Eventually they would adopt the concept and produce heavy cavalry of their own.
OakRidge is offline  
Closed Thread

  Historum > Themes in History > Speculative History

Tags
empire, roman


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Empire Vs Roman Empire. The Harlech man European History 206 January 5th, 2014 03:18 PM
Holy Roman Empire vs Roman Empire (Byzantium) circa 1000 AD Thessalonian Speculative History 6 December 26th, 2011 03:41 PM
Byzantine Empire vs Western Roman Empire Mohammed the Persian Speculative History 59 December 18th, 2011 12:56 PM
American Empire VS Roman Empire : monetary history repeats itself larkin American History 56 February 18th, 2011 08:16 PM
Difference between: Rome/Roman Empire/Holy Roman Empire mdenham2 Ancient History 10 February 4th, 2011 12:46 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.