Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Speculative History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Speculative History Speculative History Forum - Alternate History, What If Questions, Pseudo History, and anything outside the boundaries of mainstream historical research


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #111

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 9,616
Blog Entries: 14

I remember I spent a certain time considering some artworks from the period of Renaissance in which there was something really looking like UFO. Looking well, it's possible to recognize figurative stereotypes [near to archetypes, I would say] of the Holy Spirit, the Comet [containing angels sometime] and other Christian symbols.

In other cases the author put in the artwork the representation of celestial phenomenons [like just comets, meteorites ... and so on ...].

Examples:

next to the head of Mary, in the sky, on the right

File:Sala di ercole, Natività, maestro del tondo miller (fine XV sec) o Madonna dell'UFO.JPG - Wikipedia

And here comes the Sputnik

[between the two personages in the upper part of the figure]

File:Glorification of the Eucharist - Salimbeni.JPG - Wikipedia
AlpinLuke is online now  
Remove Ads
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #112

Naomasa298's Avatar
Bog of the Year
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 21,761

Because ancient aliens with advanced technology capable of interstellar travel just happened to design their spaceships to look exactly like primitive satellites from 1960s Earth.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #113

Sicknero's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Here to Eternity
Posts: 4,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
I remember I spent a certain time considering some artworks from the period of Renaissance in which there was something really looking like UFO. Looking well, it's possible to recognize figurative stereotypes [near to archetypes, I would say] of the Holy Spirit, the Comet [containing angels sometime] and other Christian symbols.

In other cases the author put in the artwork the representation of celestial phenomenons [like just comets, meteorites ... and so on ...].

Examples:

next to the head of Mary, in the sky, on the right

File:Sala di ercole, Natività, maestro del tondo miller (fine XV sec) o Madonna dell'UFO.JPG - Wikipedia
That's a good one, but there are other incidents of clouds symbolic of 'God's Glory' in medieval artwork. Also if you look at art which shows angels then a lot of them are standing on 'clouds' which look just like the one in Mainardi's pic.

Naturally this doesn't shut down the debate on angels themselves being ET visitors Although for me it's not a huge leap from lightning storms = God, to small clouds + lightning representing God in medieval art.

Interesting discussion here of Mainardi's painting -

Art and UFO - Part 5
Sicknero is offline  
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #114
Scholar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
I'dsay this one sets the bar pretty low on what something should look like to be considered a alien spaceship. Any dark shape in the sky would suffice.

Quote:
And here comes the Sputnik

[between the two personages in the upper part of the figure]

File:Glorification of the Eucharist - Salimbeni.JPG - Wikipedia
Er... that's a dove.
Kaficek is offline  
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #115

Sicknero's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Here to Eternity
Posts: 4,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaficek View Post
...Er... that's a dove.
Hehe. I think the globe with 'aerials' is the object under discussion there
Sicknero is offline  
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #116

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 9,616
Blog Entries: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicknero View Post
Hehe. I think the globe with 'aerials' is the object under discussion there
Yes. In my opinion the two figures [Jesus and God? I have to check if I remember well] are using a two sticks [or two pens] to engrave the destiny of the world [the globe].
AlpinLuke is online now  
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #117

Sicknero's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Here to Eternity
Posts: 4,407

Or wands, according to this piece on illuminutti.com (Illuminutti lolol )

Ancient Aliens Debunked – Part 3 « Illuminutti
Sicknero is offline  
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #118

Zarin's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,465

One has to ask this question. If some artist in the past had actually recorded a UFO into one of their paintings, would anyone really understand what the artist had intended? Sometimes things ARE exactly what they were intended to be.
Zarin is offline  
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #119

Dreamhunter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Malaysia
Posts: 2,733
Blog Entries: 1

Maybe it's not that far-fetched. If Earthlings can conceive of going out into space and setting up colonies on Mars, why couldn't have ancient Mars-lings, if they existed, gone out into space and set up colonies on ... well ... Earth?

Now, where did I place that Battlestar Galactica CD? About time for one to give it another watch.
Dreamhunter is offline  
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #120

Hresvelgr's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,025
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamhunter View Post
Maybe it's not that far-fetched. If Earthlings can conceive of going out into space and setting up colonies on Mars, why couldn't have ancient Mars-lings, if they existed, gone out into space and set up colonies on ... well ... Earth?
Because all signs point to limestone pyramid-tombs and dirt drawings of animals having been made by human hands.
Hresvelgr is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Speculative History

Tags
alien, ancient, argument


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ancient Alien/Gods Cavanboy Speculative History 32 November 17th, 2012 11:21 PM
Ancient Alien Theorem The Cell Speculative History 69 July 26th, 2012 10:59 AM
ancient alien belief and december the 21st amazedkat Speculative History 17 June 29th, 2012 08:42 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.