Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
Citizen
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1
Romania WWII


Lets share view points on this country during WWII...
mikhailparaskan is offline  
Remove Ads
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #2

Lawnmowerman's Avatar
Cutting your grass
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,838
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Romania WWII


If Romania had been more pro axis earlier Germany could have gotten to Russia through Romania and not bothered about going through Poland, hence not agrivating UK and France. Kind of a scary concept a real what if???
Lawnmowerman is offline  
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 3,760
Re: Romania WWII


Initially, Romania was sympathetic to the allied cause. Fall of France changed the political atmosphere and Romania has been pushed into Axis mainly by Soviet Union annexation of Bessarabia (today’s Moldavia) in 1940.
Romania joined Germany and attacked the Soviet Union 22 June 1941 mainly to regain the lost teritories. (See some similarities to Finland?)
Edward is offline  
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,933
Re: Romania WWII


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnmowerman View Post
If Romania had been more pro axis earlier Germany could have gotten to Russia through Romania and not bothered about going through Poland, hence not agrivating UK and France. Kind of a scary concept a real what if???
That wouldn't have made much geopolitical sense...

Germany didn't attack Poland in 1939 to get to Russia; Poland was attacked and conquered together by the then quite friendly Germany & Russia.

Besides, UK & France were already severely "aggravated" by Munich and the fate of Czechoslovakia.
sylla1 is offline  
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #5

Lawnmowerman's Avatar
Cutting your grass
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,838
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Romania WWII


True, but Russia was always the objective, Poland was just there.

Britian and France wouldn't have cared they'd just be sitting back and making a pretty penny watching the 2 mad men of Europe go at it. With Chamberlain still in power nothing is going to happen and remember it took the Norway Fiasco to get rid of him. With no invasion of Poland, and no violating of another countries neutrality there is no way UK/France will get involved
Lawnmowerman is offline  
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #6
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,933
Re: Romania WWII


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnmowerman View Post
True, but Russia was always the objective, Poland was just there.

Britian and France wouldn't have cared they'd just be sitting back and making a pretty penny watching the 2 mad men of Europe go at it. With Chamberlain still in power nothing is going to happen and remember it took the Norway Fiasco to get rid of him. With no invasion of Poland, and no violating of another countries neutrality there is no way UK/France will get involved
But UK/France were already involved; and for the moment, the USSR was definitively not the objective.
Besides, Poland was always an objective by itself.
Not to tell that the Reich had no common borders with Romania previous to the conquest of Poland.

I still can't find much geopolitical sense...
In any case, this seems to be speculative history and therefore an issue for another Forum.
sylla1 is offline  
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #7

Lawnmowerman's Avatar
Cutting your grass
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,838
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Romania WWII


OOOPPPSSS, you are correct in stating the Germany and Romania share no common border however they both share a border with Hungary so they could have gone that way.

But now i relise how rediculous i sound so i will shut up.

With out the fall of France and initial sucesses in Russia Romania wouldn't have jioned the Axis.

I don't really know to much about them except that the Romanian troops were often regarded as 3rd rate and often left behind as the germans retreated as if they were surplus equipment.
Lawnmowerman is offline  
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #8
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 3,760
Re: Romania WWII


Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
But UK/France were already involved; and for the moment, the USSR was definitively not the objective.
Besides, Poland was always an objective by itself.
Not to tell that the Reich had no common borders with Romania previous to the conquest of Poland.

I still can't find much geopolitical sense...
In any case, this seems to be speculative history and therefore an issue for another Forum.
Concur
Edward is offline  
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #9

deadkenny's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 718
Re: Romania WWII


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnmowerman View Post
....With out the fall of France and initial sucesses in Russia Romania wouldn't have jioned the Axis.

I don't really know to much about them except that the Romanian troops were often regarded as 3rd rate and often left behind as the germans retreated as if they were surplus equipment.
Actually, Rumania was already cooperating with Germany prior to the invasion of the Soviet Union, and participated in Barbarossa from the start. The German 11th Army was stationed in Rumania and attacked into the Soviet Union, along with a couple Rumanian armies.

Rumania was really caught between a 'rock and a hard place' in WWII. They were not particularly 'pro-German' to start, having fought against Germany in WWI. Rumania came under pressure from several directions. As noted, the fall of France left Germany in a dominant position on the continent for a time. The Soviet Union demanded territory from Rumania (Bessarabia and Bukovina) in June 1940, and appeared to be threatening an attack, as they had with Finland late the previous year (resulting in the Winter War). Hungary and Bulgaria also had demands on Rumania territory, i.e. Transylvania and Dobruja respectively. Germany stepped in and 'advised' the Rumanians to cede the demanded territory to the Soviets, as Germany had given that to the Soviets in the Nazi-Soviet Pact, and were not yet prepared to break it. Germany also settled the other territorial demands with the Vienna Award. However, Rumania was an important source of oil for Germany, so they sent and left troops in the country and supported a fascist coup. Germany then 'guaranteed' Rumania's remaining territory, which upset the Soviets as they apparently had yet further designs on Rumania and Germany had agreed to be 'disinterested' in the area according to the pact.

This all put Rumania firmly in the 'German sphere', and Rumania participated fully in Barbarossa from the start, as mentioned. Not only did Rumania regain the territory taken by the Soviets, but they were allocated a slice of adjoining Ukrainian territory, referred to as Transnisteria. The Rumanians arguably fought the hardest of all the Axis minor allies, however, they were sorely lacking in (then) modern equipment, such as tanks, AT guns, AA guns, etc., which they constantly demanded, the Germans constantly promised but only delivered too little and too late. Most people have heard of the disaster that befell the Rumanian forces on the flanks at Stalingrad. However, what many people do not realize is that whereas the Italians actually ran away without fighting, the Rumanians fought but were simply overwhelmed by Soviet armour, which they had no defense against.

Late in the war the Rumanians actually switched sides and fought along side the Soviets in the latter stages of the war. However, they still had a Stalinist regime 'imposed' upon them, and ended up with one of the more brutal dicators of eastern Europe.
deadkenny is offline  
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Citizen
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Romania WWII


Just one correction. Bulgaria was not demanding Romanian territories. It demanded South Dobrudja which was given to Romania after WWI when Bulgaria fought on the losing side. I guess it is the same logic as saying that Romania participated in the attack on the USSR to get back Bessarabia which used to be Romanian territory.
sutapanaki is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
romania, wwii



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Romania playeru New Users 16 July 13th, 2009 01:54 PM
Hello from Romania! zorro28 New Users 11 March 30th, 2009 08:15 AM
Hitler and WWII Commander War and Military History 33 January 16th, 2009 09:07 AM
WWII planes tedkaw War and Military History 3 September 29th, 2006 10:45 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.