Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Lecturer
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: India
Posts: 347
Any account of ancient indian battles


I would like to hear of any accounts of ancient battles of India as they are few and far between. I uave researched a lot on the net and found only a few battles. Heremthey are.

Defeat of Assyrian Queen:
She dressed up her camels as elephants and crossed the Indus, but the Indian king learned of her stratagem and chargef his real elephants into the body of troops and routed them.

I will post more but I want to hear from you. Is there any battle from ancient India whose details you know (aside from hydaspes)? I am eagerly awaiting your info.

The sources can be literary or even folklore.

Last edited by haniqbal; June 20th, 2018 at 11:24 AM.
haniqbal is offline  
Remove Ads
Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: Queens, NYC
Posts: 1,045

Is Assyria close to India? I was under the impression that Assyria encompassed Syria and Iraq, thus some distance from India.
MJuingong is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2018, 11:16 PM   #3
Lecturer
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: India
Posts: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJuingong View Post
Is Assyria close to India? I was under the impression that Assyria encompassed Syria and Iraq, thus some distance from India.
This is true, but in those days, Indian kingdoms extended into Afghanistan as well and I also believe, according to the story, like Alexander, she was on a conquering spree, which is why she was able to reach all the way to India.
haniqbal is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2018, 01:04 AM   #4

frogsofwar's Avatar
Archivist
 
Joined: May 2018
From: Michigan
Posts: 209

Didn't Alexander make it into India? Also, IIRC, the Mughals sacked Delhi quite a few times.
frogsofwar is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2018, 01:12 AM   #5
Scholar
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: Mythical land.
Posts: 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsofwar View Post
Didn't Alexander make it into India? Also, IIRC, the Mughals sacked Delhi quite a few times.
Yeps,he made it till punjab,but left after hearing size of nanda army.

i think you mean "mongols",cause mughals were ruling delhi,no point of sacking it.
Zanis is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2018, 01:36 AM   #6
Lecturer
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: India
Posts: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsofwar View Post
Didn't Alexander make it into India? Also, IIRC, the Mughals sacked Delhi quite a few times.
He stayed on the frontier and it was too much for him. Plus, his soldiers rebelled.

The mughals captured delhi ajd ruled from there. Also the Mongols didn't sack Delhi, but they sacjed the Punjab region.
haniqbal is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2018, 02:02 AM   #7
Scholar
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: Mythical land.
Posts: 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by haniqbal View Post
He stayed on the frontier and it was too much for him. Plus, his soldiers rebelled.

The mughals captured delhi ajd ruled from there. Also the Mongols didn't sack Delhi, but they sacjed the Punjab region.
Timur sacked delhi,he was a mongol.
Zanis is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2018, 03:34 AM   #8

rvsakhadeo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: India
Posts: 8,465

The Rig Veda, probably the oldest literary effort in human history, talks of a war between ten kings. The war is called ' Dash Radnya Yuddha ' or the war of ten kings.
It is in the seventh ' Mandala ' or the seventh cycle of the Rigveda. ( One can see that a Mandala refers to an individual standalone piece which was committed to memory by recitation, there being no art of writing at that time.) The war is described in the 18th Sukta or 18th stanza of this Mandala.
The war was fought in the region around Parushni and the Yamuna rivers. Lord Indra, the chief of Gods came to the help of King Sudas, the principal character of the war. The Sukta also describes how Sudas overcame his enemies with the help of God Indra, who not only helped him in crossing the flooded Parushni river but also helped him in rebuilding the destroyed banks of the river.
Now the Time during which the Rigveda was first composed is quite controversial, though most historians are agreed that it is very ancient.
rvsakhadeo is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2018, 03:44 AM   #9
Lecturer
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: India
Posts: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsakhadeo View Post
The Rig Veda, probably the oldest literary effort in human history, talks of a war between ten kings. The war is called ' Dash Radnya Yuddha ' or the war of ten kings.
It is in the seventh ' Mandala ' or the seventh cycle of the Rigveda. ( One can see that a Mandala refers to an individual standalone piece which was committed to memory by recitation, there being no art of writing at that time.) The war is described in the 18th Sukta or 18th stanza of this Mandala.
The war was fought in the region around Parushni and the Yamuna rivers. Lord Indra, the chief of Gods came to the help of King Sudas, the principal character of the war. The Sukta also describes how Sudas overcame his enemies with the help of God Indra, who not only helped him in crossing the flooded Parushni river but also helped him in rebuilding the destroyed banks of the river.
Now the Time during which the Rigveda was first composed is quite controversial, though most historians are agreed that it is very ancient.
Some historians believe (and I believe this too) that just like how in the Vedas all accomplishments are attributed to Indra (the destruction of enemy forts, etc.) this too was a planned strategy by the Trutsyus.

One theory I've heard is that the Trutsyus initially lost and retreated across the river but when their foes crossed, the river flooded and washed them away.

If so, this is reminiscent of Han Xin's battle where he builds a dam and destroys it just when his foes are crossing.

The rig veda also says that the enemy tried to control the Parushni but then it floods. Could it be that they tried to build a dam to cross the river but either by deign or nature, it fell apart causing the destruction of the Trutsyus' enemies?

I'd like to hear your thoughts as you are very knowledgeable in Indian history.
haniqbal is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2018, 04:06 AM   #10

rvsakhadeo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: India
Posts: 8,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by haniqbal View Post
Some historians believe (and I believe this too) that just like how in the Vedas all accomplishments are attributed to Indra (the destruction of enemy forts, etc.) this too was a planned strategy by the Trutsyus.

One theory I've heard is that the Trutsyus initially lost and retreated across the river but when their foes crossed, the river flooded and washed them away.

If so, this is reminiscent of Han Xin's battle where he builds a dam and destroys it just when his foes are crossing.

The rig veda also says that the enemy tried to control the Parushni but then it floods. Could it be that they tried to build a dam to cross the river but either by deign or nature, it fell apart causing the destruction of the Trutsyus' enemies?

I'd like to hear your thoughts as you are very knowledgeable in Indian history.
My available Marathi translation-cum-summary of the Rigveda mentions only that King Sudas was unable to cross the flooded Parushni river ( some believe it to be the present day Ravi river in Punjab )and Indra made the river shallow and also repaired the banks of the river which had been destroyed by the enemies of King Sudas. So rather opposite of what you have posted.

And the Time which is usually assigned to the compilation of the Vedas is 1500B.C.
rvsakhadeo is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
account, ancient, battles, indian



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Details about ancient battles impblack War and Military History 10 May 16th, 2014 09:50 AM
Battles of the Ancient World Cato the Younger Ancient History 16 August 19th, 2013 08:03 AM
Ancient battles won by numbers alone tomar Ancient History 26 May 15th, 2013 02:58 PM
How Did Ancient Battles End? Brisieis War and Military History 31 December 29th, 2011 10:50 AM
Stamina and fatigue in Ancient battles spqr95 War and Military History 2 July 1st, 2011 03:50 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.