Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #21

Toltec's Avatar
Fiddling as Rome Burns
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Hyperborea
Posts: 7,923
Re: The Hymn of Hate against England


Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
you probably did not drive througu Cairo or Bangkok
Driven through both, Yangoon makes Bangkok look like Geneva in terms of road safety.
Toltec is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #22

DreamWeaver's Avatar
Misanthropologist
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Wales
Posts: 10,445
Blog Entries: 6
Re: The Hymn of Hate against England


Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
you probably did not drive througu Cairo or Bangkok

Nobody drives in Cairo, the cars remain stationary, people get up in the morning, go to their car, toot the horn excessively and then get out and go home again.
DreamWeaver is offline  
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #23

Fire_Raven's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: Oregon
Posts: 2,776
Re: The Hymn of Hate against England


I can see them focusing on the English more then the Russians and the French due to a more "cordial" relationship between Germany(and it's predecessors such as Prussia,etc) and England over the last 200+ yrs.
The French and the Russians were often old foes of the various Germanic states throughout history so I imagine not much was needed to stir up feelings of animosity against them.
Fire_Raven is offline  
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #24

vans's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Wessex
Posts: 1,651
Re: The Hymn of Hate against England


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Raven View Post
I can see them focusing on the English more then the Russians and the French due to a more "cordial" relationship between Germany(and it's predecessors such as Prussia,etc) and England over the last 200+ yrs.
The French and the Russians were often old foes of the various Germanic states throughout history so I imagine not much was needed to stir up feelings of animosity against them.

Good point. It was only for a few decades or so before 1914 that England looked at Germany as a possible enemy. Certainly up to the early 1890s France was seen as the enemy and Germany as our ally.
vans is offline  
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:33 AM   #25
Citizen
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: Germany
Posts: 3
Stefan Zweig on Lissauer


Just came across this strange poem in a book by Zweig DIE WELT VON GESTERN. S. Fischer o.O. 1992 Seite / page 269

"Die Zeitungen druckten nicht mehr seine Gedichte; wenn er unter den Kameraden erschien, entstand ein betroffenes Schweigen. Aus dem Deutschland, an dem er mit allen Fasern seines Herzens hing, ist der Verlassene dann von Hitler ausgetrieben worden und vergessen gestorben, ein tragisches Opfer dieses einen Gedichts ..."
hjschulz is offline  
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #26
Citizen
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: Germany
Posts: 3

http://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliot...3WKHHNEKFH4WRZ

Here you can find a collection of similar pro war German WW I poems. Even a Nobel prize winner is among them. And others who became prominent decades later.
hjschulz is offline  
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #27

Lord Fairfax's Avatar
Tickling the Dragons tail
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Rupert's Land ;)
Posts: 2,299

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjschulz View Post

"Die Zeitungen druckten nicht mehr seine Gedichte; wenn er unter den Kameraden erschien, entstand ein betroffenes Schweigen. Aus dem Deutschland, an dem er mit allen Fasern seines Herzens hing, ist der Verlassene dann von Hitler ausgetrieben worden und vergessen gestorben, ein tragisches Opfer dieses einen Gedichts ..."
Is there a good translation?
Lord Fairfax is online now  
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #28

Lord Fairfax's Avatar
Tickling the Dragons tail
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Rupert's Land ;)
Posts: 2,299

From Google translate:

The newspapers no longer printed his poems, and when he appeared among his comrades, an affected silence arose, and from the Germany where he hung with all the fibers of his heart, the abandoned was then expelled from Hitler and forgotten, a tragic sacrifice This one poem ..
Lord Fairfax is online now  
Old April 30th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #29
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Yorkshire
Posts: 955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec View Post
Driven through both, Yangoon makes Bangkok look like Geneva in terms of road safety.
Nowhere comes within spitting distance of Lagos.
peccavi is offline  
Old April 30th, 2017, 12:28 PM   #30

deaf tuner's Avatar
hier is da feestje !!!
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Europe
Posts: 10,560
Blog Entries: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
Nobody drives in Cairo, the cars remain stationary, people get up in the morning, go to their car, toot the horn excessively and then get out and go home again.
Darn, now I realise that I was living in Cairo and not in Brussels !!
deaf tuner is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
england, hate, hymn



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The worst King of England and the best kings of England ? Nicklord1 Medieval and Byzantine History 352 December 21st, 2016 02:44 PM
Hymn to Aten/ Psalms 104 okamido Ancient History 28 March 13th, 2014 06:36 PM
One hymn, many subjects gus Art and Cultural History 4 June 22nd, 2009 01:29 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.