Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Priapus
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: the solo basement party rocking tonight
Posts: 6,489
Army of the Western Roman Empire


How was it set up and what were the troop types? I can mostly get the Eastern half's army, but I just can never get the Westerns.
Isoroku295 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2

Zeno's Avatar
l'esprit de l'escalier
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: ♪♬ ♫♪♩
Posts: 12,875

The Western Roman Empire would increasingly make use of barbarians, in particular Germans.
Zeno is online now  
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
The Western Roman Empire would increasingly make use of barbarians, in particular Germans.
Nothing wrong with that; the Roman army had been using aliens ("Barbarians") since the very first time it was attested; in fact, the amazing capability of assimilation of the Roman state was one of its most notable traits, contrary to most other empires before and after them.

Besides, the surviving Eastern Empire was equally generously using Barbarian auxiliaries.
sylla1 is offline  
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Priapus
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: the solo basement party rocking tonight
Posts: 6,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Nothing wrong with that; the Roman army had been using aliens ("Barbarians") since the very first time it was attested; in fact, the amazing capability of assimilation of the Roman state was one of its most notable traits, contrary to most other empires before and after them.

Besides, the surviving Eastern Empire was equally generously using Barbarian auxiliaries.
yes there is. The increasing number of barbarians used means you now have your army outnumbered and in the midst of untrustable men.
Isoroku295 is offline  
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #5

Tuor's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Vancouver
Posts: 1,639

I'm sure Salah has a whole thread around here somewhere about the Roman army
Tuor is offline  
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoroku295 View Post
yes there is. The increasing number of barbarians used means you now have your army outnumbered and in the midst of untrustable men.
Again, the same had happened from long ago; besides, under such AFAIK essentially outdated hypothesis, the eastern empire should have fallen too.
sylla1 is offline  
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Priapus
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: the solo basement party rocking tonight
Posts: 6,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Again, the same had happened from long ago; besides, under such AFAIK essentially outdated hypothesis, the eastern empire should have fallen too.
the Eastern didn't get that deep. And no it never happened in such scale and frequency.
Isoroku295 is offline  
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoroku295 View Post
the Eastern didn't get that deep. And no it never happened in such scale and frequency.
Any sources on those statements?

BTW, have you checked out on the Notitia Dignitatum?
sylla1 is offline  
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #9
Priapus
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: the solo basement party rocking tonight
Posts: 6,489

and it didn't lead to the collapse, it just helped
Isoroku295 is offline  
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #10
Priapus
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: the solo basement party rocking tonight
Posts: 6,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Any sources on those statements?

BTW, have you checked out on the Notitia Dignitatum?
I've wanted to. I love the name
Isoroku295 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
army, empire, roman, western


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Byzantine Empire vs Western Roman Empire Mohammed the Persian Speculative History 59 December 18th, 2011 11:56 AM
Roman Army vs Greek Army reuben Ancient History 275 June 14th, 2011 09:29 AM
Roman Army under Caesar vs Japanese army under Tokugawa Arkkataka Speculative History 15 April 6th, 2011 02:27 PM
American Empire VS Roman Empire : monetary history repeats itself larkin American History 56 February 18th, 2011 07:16 PM
Difference between: Rome/Roman Empire/Holy Roman Empire mdenham2 Ancient History 10 February 4th, 2011 11:46 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.