Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #21

Petyo's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Bulgaria
Posts: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
When it comes to linguistics the majority influence was Bulgaria to Russia and not the opposite, so i would guess it's the same in that case.
I know, but in the XIX it was the other way around. Do you know any sources of "Ura!" from the Medieval period? Perhaps it might be a common slavic expression?
Petyo is offline  
Remove Ads
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #22
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petyo View Post
I know, but in the XIX it was the other way around. Do you know any sources of "Ura!" from the Medieval period? Perhaps it might be a common slavic expression?
No idea where it comes from. The net is full of suggestions - from dutch to turkish.
Krystian is offline  
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #23

Chookie's Avatar
Creature of the Night
 
Joined: Nov 2007
From: Alba
Posts: 7,628
Blog Entries: 15

We've got plenty of them in Scotland, ranging from the basic ones like "A Bruce" or "A Douglas", but the highland clans had the best ones. Here are a few:-

Clan Cameron: "Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil" ("Sons of the hounds, come here and get flesh")
Clan Ogilvy "A Fin" ("To the End")
Clan Mackintosh: "Loch Moigh"
Clan Campbell: "Cruachan" (a mountain, Ben Cruachan)
Clan Munro: "Caisteal Folais'n a theine" ("Castle Foulis in flames")
Clan Forbes: "Lonach" (a mountain in Strathdon)
Clan Donald: the various branches all have their own. My branch uses “Dh'aindeoin co theiraedh e” (Gainsay who dare) – the Irish branches mainly use “O'Donnell Abu” (Victory to the O'Donnell)
Chookie is offline  
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #24
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Finland
Posts: 1,086

Finnish battle-cry "hakkaa päälle". Made the Swedes call Finns 'hakkapeliittas'. In Great Nordic War.

And of course, "Geronimo!". WW2 American paratroopers was it?
mikainen is offline  
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #25

Chookie's Avatar
Creature of the Night
 
Joined: Nov 2007
From: Alba
Posts: 7,628
Blog Entries: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikainen View Post
Finnish battle-cry "hakkaa päälle". Made the Swedes call Finns 'hakkapeliittas'. In Great Nordic War.
You should have given the translation too. Wasn't it "Cut them Down"?

I believe it was used in the Thirty Years War.
Chookie is offline  
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #26
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Finland
Posts: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookie View Post
You should have given the translation too. Wasn't it "Cut them Down"?

I believe it was used in the Thirty Years War.
Maybe so, yes.

It's not easily translated. "Cut them down" is good enough. "Go and beat/ram them over".
mikainen is offline  
Old September 10th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #27

Austin_Briggs's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: Geneva
Posts: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
When it comes to linguistics the majority influence was Bulgaria to Russia and not the opposite, so i would guess it's the same in that case.
Hurrah (Ura, really) is an ancient battle cry that either dates back to the Baltic-Slavic lands (Urat - "to smash" in old Russian), or to the Mongols (Ur - "kick, hit").

But really, let's leave the posh records aside. In the real combat, people just scream, nothing in particular. Or they swear.

The elite likes to think that their soldiers shout their names (like the Soviet propaganda made us think that the Soviet soldiers yelled "For motherland! For Stalin!" (can you really pronounce all that, with a spirited expression on your face, when you're intoxicated with fear and excitement under the German machine guns?).

Or the Aztecs liked to think that their warriors shouted their town names (really? Can you scream "Tenochtitlan!" when ducking arrows and stones?). Before the battle, in formation with friends, while beating your sword against your shield - yes. During the battle - I don't think so.

So "Hurrah" is so badass because basically, it's just a scream of scared, excited humans in the heat of a battle - "aaaa, ************", etc.

In the little military experience I got in Russia and Cambodia, we just screamed, mindlessly.

Last edited by Austin_Briggs; September 10th, 2011 at 04:07 AM.
Austin_Briggs is offline  
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #28

irishcrusader95's Avatar
None shall pass!
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Ireland
Posts: 6,736
Blog Entries: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Briggs View Post
Hurrah (Ura, really) is an ancient battle cry that either dates back to the Baltic-Slavic lands (Urat - "to smash" in old Russian), or to the Mongols (Ur - "kick, hit").

But really, let's leave the posh records aside. In the real combat, people just scream, nothing in particular. Or they swear.

The elite likes to think that their soldiers shout their names (like the Soviet propaganda made us think that the Soviet soldiers yelled "For motherland! For Stalin!" (can you really pronounce all that, with a spirited expression on your face, when you're intoxicated with fear and excitement under the German machine guns?).

Or the Aztecs liked to think that their warriors shouted their town names (really? Can you scream "Tenochtitlan!" when ducking arrows and stones?). Before the battle, in formation with friends, while beating your sword against your shield - yes. During the battle - I don't think so.

So "Hurrah" is so badass because basically, it's just a scream of scared, excited humans in the heat of a battle - "aaaa, ************", etc.

In the little military experience I got in Russia and Cambodia, we just screamed, mindlessly.
just like how ill trained russian tankist would fire constantly when on the move to try and drown out their fear through force of action, soldiers would just scream mindlessly when charging in the hope of it covering up their fear.

welcome to form as well, your the first Swiss i think we've had
irishcrusader95 is offline  
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #29

The Imperial's Avatar
MentalManja
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: 3rd rock from Sol
Posts: 4,253
Blog Entries: 1

^^ reading a Swiss's account of battle-cries is weird.... esp if they are from Geneva
The Imperial is offline  
Old September 10th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #30

Austin_Briggs's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: Geneva
Posts: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcrusader95 View Post
just like how ill trained russian tankist would fire constantly when on the move to try and drown out their fear through force of action, soldiers would just scream mindlessly when charging in the hope of it covering up their fear.

welcome to form as well, your the first Swiss i think we've had
Thanks for the welcome; I live in Geneva but I'm not Swiss

Isn't what you assign to Russian "mindlessness" a general human reaction to the intoxication of war?

The military discipline does hold units together, to a point. After a certain point, it's just you, your fear and the enemy.

The elite units do behave differently in the field. But a general soldier would scream the cool battle cries only so much.
Austin_Briggs is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
badassed, battle, cries



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In your opinion what was the most decisive battle in history? mongo likes candy War and Military History 162 March 27th, 2012 01:29 AM
Most important battle in History. ghoul31 General History 97 November 3rd, 2011 01:54 PM
Most epic battle/war/conflict in history Clendor General History 30 September 9th, 2011 07:03 AM
The oldest recorded battle in history Thessalonian General History 6 August 3rd, 2011 07:08 PM
This day in history - The Battle of Trafalgar Auron War and Military History 12 October 26th, 2009 05:51 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.