Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #281
.
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Valles Marineris, Mars
Posts: 4,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientgeezer View Post
Not so much humiliating but funny, is the US attack on Guam in the Spanish American War.
The USS Charleston steamed into the harbour at Piti on 10 June 1898 and opened fire on a disused and unmanned old fort, firing thirteen rounds. A crowd gathered at the jetty and notables of the port collected together to welcome the rare and exciting visit of a foreign ship. The local commander of Marines, Captain Pedro Duarte, send a boat out to the Charleston with a message apologising for not being able to return the Naval salute as they had no guns at Piri. However there were some old guns at Agana and if the Americans could kindly lend them some gunpowder, they would be glad to return the honour. Duarte explained that they had no gunpowder or munitions on the island at all and invited Captain Glass and his officers to lunch.
He was really annoyed when the Americans arrived on shore and explained that war had been declared and all of the Spanish officers were prisoners of war.


wait but why did the capt. think that
Gorge123 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #282

Ancientgeezer's Avatar
Revisionist
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
Posts: 4,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorge123 View Post


wait but why did the capt. think that
There was no telegraph to Guam at that time and no ship had arrived with news before the USS Charleston arrived. Captain Glass of the Charleston should, in the convention of the time, have sent a messenger ashore to explain the situation before opening fire. Later, when the Americans arrived at the main port, Agana, they rowed ashore under a flag of truce, then pulled their guns on the Spanish officals and demanded their surrender---definitely not cricket!
Ancientgeezer is offline  
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #283
.
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Valles Marineris, Mars
Posts: 4,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientgeezer View Post
There was no telegraph to Guam at that time and no ship had arrived with news before the USS Charleston arrived. Captain Glass of the Charleston should, in the convention of the time, have sent a messenger ashore to explain the situation before opening fire. Later, when the Americans arrived at the main port, Agana, they rowed ashore under a flag of truce, then pulled their guns on the Spanish officals and demanded their surrender---definitely not cricket!
LOL....
Gorge123 is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:59 AM   #284
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 28

World War II (I am German). I wish the Allies had exterminated us in 1945. Our country survived, but with a dead soul.
Homo Badensis is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM   #285

Paragonrex's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homo Badensis View Post
World War II (I am German). I wish the Allies had exterminated us in 1945. Our country survived, but with a dead soul.
I find that statement both intriguing and slightly sad. I have always proposed since reunification that Germany should restore it's monarchy. Give it that elan that is has been missing for nearly a century. The soul of a nation is it's people and how better to personify your people then your Kaiser?
Paragonrex is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:52 AM   #286
Citizen
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragonrex View Post
I find that statement both intriguing and slightly sad. I have always proposed since reunification that Germany should restore it's monarchy. Give it that elan that is has been missing for nearly a century. The soul of a nation is it's people and how better to personify your people then your Kaiser?
Germany reminds me of the Christian view on Satan. He was an angel more glorious than any other angel (and Germany was on the best way to becoming the most glorious nation on earth... remember it had taken over the role of the Roman Empire in the medieval period, and after Napoleon was defeated Germany was on its way to reclaiming the dominion in Europe), but like Satan Germany became infinitely vile and started a total war on everything that is good. The bible talks about Satan being punished in hell. I am sure Satan would prefer his total extermination instead of eternal pain and misery. The same is true for Germany, with such an history we are doomed. And no monarch no nothing can solve this problem. In 1945 - actually in 1933 - Germany died. The rotting carcass is now covered with nice clothing, but sooner or later it will rot away and dissapear. The sooner the better.

I love Germany, but Germany died somewhere between 1933 and 1945. The corpse we see now means nothing to me.
Homo Badensis is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:49 PM   #287

emperor of seleucid's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Arche Seleukeia
Posts: 2,374

Vietnam
emperor of seleucid is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
countries, defeat, humiliating, military


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teutoburg Forest - The Worst Defeat in Roman History MafiaMaster Ancient History 178 February 20th, 2014 03:42 AM
The Most Embarrassing Defeat in History? Lord Ragnar War and Military History 512 December 24th, 2013 07:46 PM
Most Powerful Countries throughout history jdghgh War and Military History 100 June 3rd, 2012 03:26 AM
Humiliating apologies and speeches? Hereword General History 7 June 14th, 2011 10:01 AM
Where's some countries history Syed F. Inam Asian History 14 November 19th, 2010 09:10 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.