Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179
Missile weapons, analysis on features


I know tha these forums are about history rather than about weapons alone but I could not find a better forum for this question... I wanted to compare these 4 missile weapon categories:

1.Handheld with mechanical trigger (bows, crossbows, etc.)

2.Handheld with chemical trigger (guns, bazookas, rocket launchers)

3.Held by more than one person or else mounted on a structure or vehicle with mechanical trigger (ballistae and the like)

4.Held by more than one person or else mounted on a structure or vehicle with chemical trigger (cannons, antiair missiles, etc.)

In particular I want to find where they brake records in these properties (and it would be better if any weapon that is mentioned receives information in the different areas)

1.Rate of fire (how many projectiles are shot per minute, second or whatever)

2.Range (how far can the projectile go before loosing accuracy and/or lethality)

3.Striking force (newtons per cm square or inch square, whatever you prefer, on the region where the missile hits the target or obstacle)

4.Damage area (the are of the entry wound and/or the exit wound of a missile)

These details are pertinent to war history as they relate with the impact of weaponry and the adoption of some weapons over others
coldshot is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #2

Belisarius's Avatar
Dominus Historiae
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: U.K.
Posts: 9,657

You don't want much do you? Welcome to the site, I'll see what I can dig up.
Belisarius is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
You don't want much do you? Welcome to the site, I'll see what I can dig up.
Hi, thanks... Well, yep, I am not much of a history buff but... I love etymology, mythology and weaponry... (I am in the process of reading "the ethnic origin of nations" however)...
coldshot is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

the damage area would better be presented with the pertinent measurements in the projectile (the diamter in an arrow or arrowhead or javelin or spearhead, etc, the diameter in a bullet or pellet, etc. and so on)
coldshot is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Triceratops's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Late Cretaceous
Posts: 928

This book might be of help, Coldshot;

The Crossbow > Its Construction, History and Management > Table of Contents > page ix

Payne-Gallwey test fired an arbalest,shooting a bolt 450 yards across the Menai Strait. He calculated the pull of this bow at 2,000 lbs.

and this;
http://www.thesugarbakers.net/Archery-Testing.pdf

Last edited by Triceratops; November 16th, 2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: additional link
Triceratops is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

Thanks triceratops
coldshot is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Georgia, USA
Posts: 3,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
I know tha these forums are about history rather than about weapons alone but I could not find a better forum for this question... I wanted to compare these 4 missile weapon categories:

1.Handheld with mechanical trigger (bows, crossbows, etc.)

2.Handheld with chemical trigger (guns, bazookas, rocket launchers)

3.Held by more than one person or else mounted on a structure or vehicle with mechanical trigger (ballistae and the like)

4.Held by more than one person or else mounted on a structure or vehicle with chemical trigger (cannons, antiair missiles, etc.)
What category does throwing a rock or a spear come under ?
Poly is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
What category does throwing a rock or a spear come under ?
None of the given... hand-thrown missiles are cheap but they are not very effective... I needed record-breaking missile weaponry... but ballistae shoot spears, kinda
coldshot is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #9
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Georgia, USA
Posts: 3,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
None of the given... hand-thrown missiles are cheap but they are not very effective... I needed record-breaking missile weaponry... but ballistae shoot spears, kinda
The Roman army found that their pila were pretty effective at close range

Thracian Peltasts were effective light troops used by many Greek city states as light troops, just as effective as archers

A hand grenade is a missile weapon, hand thrown and pretty damn effective in certain circumstances (albeit with an explosive core)

The common sling is cheap and deadly (OK it is not exactly hand thrown but doesn't seem to fit any of your categories)
Poly is offline  
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The Roman army found that their pila were pretty effective at close range
Wouldn't that make it a melee weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Peltasts were effective light troops used by many Greek city states as light troops, just as effective as archers
Where peltasts used in the role you would find archers? Or they were meant for close quarters combat? That maks a large difference on whether you could consider them melee or missile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
A hand grenade is a missile weapon, hand thrown and pretty damn effective in certain circumstances (albeit with an explosive core)
The power of a hand grenade comes from its ability to explode, it is often hand thrown because that is the easiest way to keep the explosion away from the person employing it, however scenarios can exist where the weapon is equally lethal without it being thrown (it can be dropped on the target, it can be tied to an animal before making the animal run into the target, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
common sling is cheap and deadly (OK it is not exactly hand thrown but doesn't seem to fit any of your categories)
I would say it falls under "Handheld with mechanical trigger"... However I want record-braking missile weapons...
coldshot is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
analysis, features, missile, weapons


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Siege weapons and defense weapons in ancient China purakjelia Asian History 77 June 15th, 2013 09:18 AM
Five political features to describe yourself jeroenrottgering Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 49 November 23rd, 2012 02:56 AM
Celtic Missile Weapons Salah Ancient History 2 June 13th, 2011 02:08 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.