Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #41

Isleifson's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Lorraine tudesque
Posts: 3,147

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallBudyonny View Post
Ladies and gentlemen I present Heinrich Himmler back from the dead.

Oh well, he was not much of a Arian.
Isleifson is online now  
Remove Ads
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #42
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallBudyonny View Post
Ladies and gentlemen I present Heinrich Himmler back from the dead.
Yes, because the Germans are the only people in history to ever have Russia as an enemy. Russia has historically seemed quite good at making enemies, she seems to seek out hostile relations for no purpose other than to have hostile relations, I guess it's the only way to keep the Russian people in line.
constantine is offline  
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #43

Spartacuss's Avatar
mmmmph! mmmMMMMmmph!!
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallBudyonny View Post
Ladies and gentlemen I present Heinrich Himmler back from the dead.
What he stated is nothing new. During the war it was the opinion of some influential senior commanders of the Western Allies that the Germans and the Russians should be allowed to bleed each other white while minimal support should be given to keep Russia in the war. Once the American 8th Air Force got fully into the strategic bombing campaign, General Sir Allen Brooke was content to let air power lay waste to Germany and let the Germans and the Russians slug it out on the ground. This was one of his points in his opposition to the cross channel invasion plans presented by the Americans. That particular school of thought still has it's followers today.
Spartacuss is offline  
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #44
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Texas, USA
Posts: 3,909

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantine View Post
Yes, because the Germans are the only people in history to ever have Russia as an enemy. Russia has historically seemed quite good at making enemies, she seems to seek out hostile relations for no purpose other than to have hostile relations, I guess it's the only way to keep the Russian people in line.
Quite good at making enemies? As compared to who else? Germany? France?

Quote:
...remain to this very day our greatest enemy.
After two world wars where the Russians killed hundreds of thousands of Americans, I completely agree they your description that Russia were America's greatest enemy. Way a second...that never happened. We've never even been in a shooting war with the Russians, how then can they be our greatest enemy?
attila006 is offline  
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #45
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila006 View Post
Quite good at making enemies? As compared to who else? Germany? France?



After two world wars where the Russians killed hundreds of thousands of Americans, I completely agree they your description that Russia were America's greatest enemy. Way a second...that never happened. We've never even been in a shooting war with the Russians, how then can they be our greatest enemy?
Well, it's obviously not Germany, they're in NATO now. It's a shame we only managed to vassalize them once they had lost that militaristic streak. Enemy number one has to be either Russia or China, no other country can actually pose a threat to US territory. Given the events of the last year, I think Russia has done a good job surpassing China to make it to the top of our enemies list.
constantine is offline  
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #46
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Texas, USA
Posts: 3,909

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantine View Post
Well, it's obviously not Germany, they're in NATO now. It's a shame we only managed to vassalize them once they had lost that militaristic streak. Enemy number one has to be either Russia or China, no other country can actually pose a threat to US territory. Given the events of the last year, I think Russia has done a good job surpassing China to make it to the top of our enemies list.
Why does America's number threat have to be a nation? Why can't it be an ideology shared by no specific nation state actor?
attila006 is offline  
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #47
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila006 View Post
Why does America's number threat have to be a nation? Why can't it be an ideology shared by no specific nation state actor?
I suppose it could be, but they'd need either a rather substantial navy or nuclear arsenal to actually pose a real threat to our territory. As much as I dislike them, the Islamists are more a threat to our overseas interests than our actual sovereignty and existence as a nation.
constantine is offline  
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #48
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Texas, USA
Posts: 3,909

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantine View Post
I suppose it could be, but they'd need either a rather substantial navy or nuclear arsenal to actually pose a real threat to our territory. As much as I dislike them, the Islamists are more a threat to our overseas interests than our actual sovereignty and existence as a nation.
The only real challenge to US sovereignty and existence is America itself. China and Russia want the same thing we do, money, power and to be left alone. Neither are planning or even remotely capable of invading the US and have no plans on attacking us with nukes. The Cold War ended, don't rush ahead to get us into a new one for misguided attempts at nationalism.
attila006 is offline  
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #49

MarshallBudyonny's Avatar
EUtopian
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: New Verulamium
Posts: 7,269
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
What he stated is nothing new. During the war it was the opinion of some influential senior commanders of the Western Allies that the Germans and the Russians should be allowed to bleed each other white while minimal support should be given to keep Russia in the war. Once the American 8th Air Force got fully into the strategic bombing campaign, General Sir Allen Brooke was content to let air power lay waste to Germany and let the Germans and the Russians slug it out on the ground. This was one of his points in his opposition to the cross channel invasion plans presented by the Americans. That particular school of thought still has it's followers today.
Did you read what I quoted? He actively advocated for greater slaughter of civilians on the Eastern front- an unjustifiable point of view from my perspective. A bit like saying oh I wish Bin Laden also took down the Empire State and Chrysler buildings then bombed a few nurseries.
MarshallBudyonny is offline  
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #50

zincwarrior's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 4,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallBudyonny View Post
Ladies and gentlemen I present Heinrich Himmler back from the dead.
The Nazis killed in the range of 25mm - 30mm Soviet military and civilians, from a total population of 196mm. That number is staggering on its face.

And the Russians are not our biggest threat. Brazil's economy alone beats theirs like a red headed step child. Our population is twice its size and economy, what 10x?

China now, thats a different story.
zincwarrior is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
complex, idolize, kasserine, military, wehrmacht



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complex non-literate societies unity General History 16 November 8th, 2013 03:48 AM
Temple Complex of Tarxien Brisieis Ancient History 9 August 20th, 2012 02:31 AM
Complex Assassinations In History bbooze General History 10 June 15th, 2012 10:01 AM
Military-Industrial Complex rehabnonono American History 35 May 31st, 2010 12:30 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.