Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #191

Zhang LaoYong's Avatar
A stray cat.
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: On the prowl.
Posts: 5,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoroku295 View Post
lol I'll let you make that call
Sorry, I am too confused now. I gotta go find out who is what, and what happens when they are here rather than there.
Zhang LaoYong is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #192

Underlankers's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang LaoYong View Post
I don't mean any disrespect here, but I am just wondering how many of your 5,000+ posts have been finding ways to slam the armies of Germany and the United States? It seems to be all you post about. Except for the few actually speaking high of a US general with a German name. . .

I do like irony, but still. The constant complaining and disrespect gets old. It would be much better to make your point in an unbiased manner, it is possible to do and allows you to keep a lot more credibility.
And you consider soft-handing the atrocities of the 19th Century US Army toward Native Americans and pointing out that Germany's military reputation was the greatest fraud generals perpetrated on civilians in the 20th Century to be unbiased? Sorry, unlike some people I could name I prefer to state truths, even harsh ones, rather than adhere to some mythology for reasons of 'respecting' bureaucracies' desire to make the chaotic conditions they create sensible.
Underlankers is offline  
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #193

MarshallBudyonny's Avatar
EUtopian
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: New Verulamium
Posts: 7,098
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang LaoYong View Post
I don't mean any disrespect here, but I am just wondering how many of your 5,000+ posts have been finding ways to slam the armies of Germany and the United States? It seems to be all you post about. Except for the few actually speaking high of a US general with a German name. . .
Well someone's gotta do it and might I say that Underlankers does a great job. The Soviet military's history can use all the friends it can get, the unrelenting rumours of human waves, shortages of rifles, inept leadership and completely wrong tactics have got to be countered by someone. As do the unending claims that the Russian military uses rusted out world war two era tech.
MarshallBudyonny is offline  
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #194

Underlankers's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_of_Rochester View Post
Do you have any sources for people wearing genitalia as hat ornaments?

That must have caused quite a stir at Ascot.
The Sand Creek Massacre » Sand Creek Massacre Witness Accounts

“In going over the battle-ground the next day I did not see a body of a man, woman, or child but was scalped, and in many instances their bodies were mutilated in the most horrible manner—men, women, and children’s privates cut out, &c. I heard one man say he had cut out a woman’s private parts and had them for exhibition on a stick; I heard another man say that he had cut the fingers off an Indian to get rings off his hand…. I also heard of numerous instances in which men had cut out the private parts of females and stretched them over the saddle-bows, and wore them over their hats while riding in the ranks…. I heard one man say he had cut a squaw’s heart out, and had stuck it on a stick.”
-First Lieutenant James D. Cannon, New Mexico Volunteers -

Whoa, that was weird. The Internet had a glitch.
Underlankers is offline  
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #195
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Texas, USA
Posts: 3,909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underlankers View Post
And you consider soft-handing the atrocities of the 19th Century US Army toward Native Americans and pointing out that Germany's military reputation was the greatest fraud generals perpetrated on civilians in the 20th Century to be unbiased? Sorry, unlike some people I could name I prefer to state truths, even harsh ones, rather than adhere to some mythology for reasons of 'respecting' bureaucracies' desire to make the chaotic conditions they create sensible.
Truths? Where are your sources? In the hundreds of posts of yours that I've been forced to read, I heard a lot of hyperbolic opinion, but truth? You fail in the most basic of historical tasks, by sourcing anything you write.
attila006 is offline  
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #196

Zhang LaoYong's Avatar
A stray cat.
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: On the prowl.
Posts: 5,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underlankers View Post
And you consider soft-handing the atrocities of the 19th Century US Army toward Native Americans and pointing out that Germany's military reputation was the greatest fraud generals perpetrated on civilians in the 20th Century to be unbiased? Sorry, unlike some people I could name I prefer to state truths, even harsh ones, rather than adhere to some mythology for reasons of 'respecting' bureaucracies' desire to make the chaotic conditions they create sensible.
No. I never recommended special or easy-going treatment for anyone, at all, ever. I do not agree with going overboard and sounding like someone with an agenda in each post. It is very possible, and quite easy, to get your point across about any level of crimes and abuses committed in history without sounding like that. That has nothing to do with any myths, simply stating facts as an unbiased individual is too easy. You should try it sometime.

Also, don't just keep beating the same dead horses in the USA and Germany. There is a whole world full of inept, criminal, disgusting behavior to choose from. Or, do you only want to keep at it, because you are so sorry you only want to state harsh truths about 2 nations? That, too, seems a bit unfortunate and dwindles credibility.

Being somewhat professional isn't compromising one's integrity or ability to state facts, no matter how unpleasant those facts may be for some. Trying to sound harsh when making those childish statements about facts comes across as some agenda-driven hack, and I think you are smarter than that.

I'm not saying I disagree with what you post at times. I am just saying that your tired schtick is a bit much. Talking like that is not going to get anyone to want to take a fresh look at an issue of history. Which would seem to me defeats the purpose of attempting to speak in truths to combat ignorance and appeasement.
Zhang LaoYong is offline  
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #197

Earl_of_Rochester's Avatar
Scoundrel
¤ Member of the Year ¤
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Perambulating in St James' Park
Posts: 13,077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underlankers View Post
The Sand Creek Massacre » Sand Creek Massacre Witness Accounts

“In going over the battle-ground the next day I did not see a body of a man, woman, or child but was scalped, and in many instances their bodies were mutilated in the most horrible manner—men, women, and children’s privates cut out, &c. I heard one man say he had cut out a woman’s private parts and had them for exhibition on a stick; I heard another man say that he had cut the fingers off an Indian to get rings off his hand…. I also heard of numerous instances in which men had cut out the private parts of females and stretched them over the saddle-bows, and wore them over their hats while riding in the ranks…. I heard one man say he had cut a squaw’s heart out, and had stuck it on a stick.”
-First Lieutenant James D. Cannon, New Mexico Volunteers -

Whoa, that was weird. The Internet had a glitch.


Ah right, not the US Army from WW2 then, but some obscure frontier war from the mid to late 19thC against native Americans who also had a ritual for torture.

I fancy you could find similar things going on in all sorts of places of the world from that time, the Afghans who were fighting the British had a similar tactic, so did the bedouin. What you're describing is hardly comparable to the modern allied armies of the 20thC, you're scraping the barrel a bit on war crimes for that one.
Earl_of_Rochester is online now  
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #198

Zhang LaoYong's Avatar
A stray cat.
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: On the prowl.
Posts: 5,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_of_Rochester View Post
Ah right, not the US Army from WW2 then, but some obscure frontier war from the mid to late 19thC against native Americans who also had a ritual for torture.

I fancy you could find similar things going on in all sorts of places of the world from that time, the Afghans who were fighting the British had a similar tactic, so did the bedouin. What you're describing is hardly comparable to the modern allied armies of the 20thC, you're scraping the barrel a bit on war crimes for that one.
Yes, exactly. These types of terrible and dehumanizing tactics could be found in many places, in many times. But, I am afraid it is more fun to bring up these harsh truths when talking about 2 nation's armies only. It is a harsh truth by omission, or, um, wait. . .
Zhang LaoYong is offline  
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #199

Isoroku295's Avatar
Priapus
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: In the Past
Posts: 8,389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang LaoYong View Post
Yes, exactly. These types of terrible and dehumanizing tactics could be found in many places, in many times. But, I am afraid it is more fun to bring up these harsh truths when talking about 2 nation's armies only. It is a harsh truth by omission, or, um, wait. . .
Well of course it's better. Otherwise it wouldn't be of any use to his beliefs
Isoroku295 is offline  
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #200
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Texas, USA
Posts: 3,909

Battle of Fallujah

All about Fallujah. Have fun.
attila006 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
criminal, soldiers



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If your father was a war criminal Naomasa298 Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 34 May 23rd, 2012 03:05 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.