Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > War and Military History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

War and Military History War and Military History Forum - Warfare, Tactics, and Military Technology over the centuries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: Everywhere
Posts: 363
Its a bit funny how people make fun of the French military


I mean considering that they have the best military record of any European country. In 800 years France has won 132 wars, lost 43 and drawn 10, making them the most successful nation in the history of Europe military wise.

It seems to me that some people base all of French military history on World War II.

Look it up. Its true
Balian is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 16th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Suspended until October 11th, 2018
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: meo
Posts: 1,309

Not important at all. We all know how awesome the Mongols were, look at them now. Lets talk again when France achieves an awesome feat or two in the next war.
A Vietnamese is offline  
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #3

phil1904's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: An Hotel of the French Riviera
Posts: 1,029
Blog Entries: 1

So what!
It's not the end of the world!
It's true that some people enjoy sometime to joke sacarstically about French military history maybe by pettiness either because they don't know it or for another reasons (for instance"nationalist" history education)....etc.
It's no big deal, it doesn't matter, take it easy .
That is important is not to let some go to far in order not to allow them to falsify history.
Many cliché exist about many other people.

@To Vietnamese
Chao anh
phil1904 is offline  
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Sam-Nary's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: At present SD, USA
Posts: 6,129

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vietnamese View Post
Not important at all. We all know how awesome the Mongols were, look at them now. Lets talk again when France achieves an awesome feat or two in the next war.
They fought well in Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom...

They achieved full success in Mali in removing a Al Qaeda affiliated organization and did so without becoming embroiled in the sort of insurrections that turned America's Iraq War into a Pyrrhic victory.

They were the leaders in the bombing campaign against Gaddafi in Libya.

And are presently involved in the bombing of ISIS targets in Syria, particularly after the attacks on Paris.
Sam-Nary is offline  
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #5

pablo668's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Perth, Western Australia. or....hickville.
Posts: 2,181

One only had to look at Verdun really.
Surely one of the bloodiest and worst battles that have ever been.
They withstood the attack and held their ground.

In WWII the French were hamstrung really. Divided amongst themselves, many didn't want another war. Unsurprising considering the wreck the last one had made of the country.
pablo668 is offline  
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Suspended until October 11th, 2018
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: meo
Posts: 1,309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Nary View Post
They fought well in Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom...

They achieved full success in Mali in removing a Al Qaeda affiliated organization and did so without becoming embroiled in the sort of insurrections that turned America's Iraq War into a Pyrrhic victory.

They were the leaders in the bombing campaign against Gaddafi in Libya.

And are presently involved in the bombing of ISIS targets in Syria, particularly after the attacks on Paris.
I prefer to call what you have just listed as "armed conflict" and "military operation".

Last edited by A Vietnamese; December 16th, 2015 at 10:49 PM.
A Vietnamese is offline  
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #7
Scholar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Paris
Posts: 627

Quote:
I prefer to call what you have just listed as "armed conflict" and "military operation".
And what makes a "war" something so different of "armed conflict led by military forces" ? Sure, there is no formal declaration of war, but there were none since the end of WW2 and yet we talk of Algerian War, Falklands War or Iraq War.
Cornelis is offline  
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #8

Karl XII's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: washington
Posts: 568

Also when you consider the fact that it took the United Kingdom, Russia, Austria, Prussia, Spain, Sweden, Portugal and other minor states to defeat Napoleonic France it really puts things into perspective.
Karl XII is offline  
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #9

Sam-Nary's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: At present SD, USA
Posts: 6,129

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vietnamese View Post
I prefer to call what you have just listed as "armed conflict" and "military operation".
So... when France loses, it's a war... but when they win it's nothing much...

Sounds like facts and data are being "fixed" to suit a predetermined outcome.

Any conflict in which military forces are engaged in combat, regardless of whether or not war was declared, is war, pure and simple. Trying to list actions in which France's military has played at least a supporting combat if not a leading role as something other than war is to belittle the conflict in question...

Especially when many of the recent actions have actually invoked NATO's rules regarding war and the alliance... A NATO nation has only been attacked to the point where the Alliance has treated it as an act of war and responded to the aid of the nation attacked. The first was in response to the 9/11 attacks on the US and I believe NATO recently voted to treat the attacks on Paris in the same way.

The war may not be the conventional sort of war that we saw in even Vietnam or Gulf War I, but it is warfare nonetheless...
Sam-Nary is offline  
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #10
Scholar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: Sweden
Posts: 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Nary View Post
So... when France loses, it's a war... but when they win it's nothing much...

Sounds like facts and data are being "fixed" to suit a predetermined outcome.

Any conflict in which military forces are engaged in combat, regardless of whether or not war was declared, is war, pure and simple. Trying to list actions in which France's military has played at least a supporting combat if not a leading role as something other than war is to belittle the conflict in question...

Especially when many of the recent actions have actually invoked NATO's rules regarding war and the alliance... A NATO nation has only been attacked to the point where the Alliance has treated it as an act of war and responded to the aid of the nation attacked. The first was in response to the 9/11 attacks on the US and I believe NATO recently voted to treat the attacks on Paris in the same way.

The war may not be the conventional sort of war that we saw in even Vietnam or Gulf War I, but it is warfare nonetheless...
Yeah but one has to note the numbers involved. You cant treat all military operations the same - Sweden supposedly operated in the Congo but guess what it was a very minor force we sent, likewise the French only had some 3000 men in Mali so its hardly the same kind of operation as the Gulf War, Iraq or Afghanistan. Another defining difference between the USA in Iraq and France in Mali was that the latter was invited to help and fought alongside the African Union and the military of Mali.

Not that I am saying the French cant fight, but keep the above in mind.
Bares is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > War and Military History

Tags
bit, french, fun, funny, make, military



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How NOT to make an argument about military history thegreatamphian War and Military History 21 January 15th, 2015 09:40 AM
Funny Sayings of Short-sighted People crossroadclarence General History 27 September 8th, 2011 09:48 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.