1914 Germany is moved to 1850

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What if Alien Space Bats (a common theme on alternatehistory.com) would have moved Germany (within its 1914 borders) from June 1914 to sometime in 1850? As in, Germany would have looked just like it did right before WWI, but the entire rest of the world would have looked just like it did in 1850.

How would Germany react to suddenly becoming the new undisputed global hegemon (due to its extremely massive economic and technological superiority)?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
How would Germany react to suddenly becoming the new undisputed global hegemon (due to its extremely massive economic and technological superiority)?
Does Germany have the large navy it had in 1914? If so, I think the question would be how would Britain have reacted. It seems 1850 would have been preceded by a naval arms race to keep at least a 50% advantage for Britain. Otherwise it would be like an alien invasion. Are they kind or are they cruel?

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Does Germany have the large navy it had in 1914? If so, I think the question would be how would Britain have reacted. It seems 1850 would have been preceded by a naval arms race to keep at least a 50% advantage for Britain. Otherwise it would be like an alien invasion. Are they kind or are they cruel?
Yep, Germany still has its large navy from 1914. Also, Yep, I definitely expect Britain to panic. As for kindness vs. cruelty, I don't think that Germany in this scenario is going to be cruel towards Britain if Britain is going to be willing to be friendly with it and to accommodate it, its demands, and its interests.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Yep, Germany still has its large navy from 1914. Also, Yep, I definitely expect Britain to panic. As for kindness vs. cruelty, I don't think that Germany in this scenario is going to be cruel towards Britain if Britain is going to be willing to be friendly with it and to accommodate it, its demands, and its interests.
Essentially this makes all other nations less developed and subject to colonization. Russia, because of its size might be an exception although the Ukraine would be a German target as well as other areas adjacent to the German border. There would be two levels of potential colonies: those that in reality were or became colonial powers themselves and those that did not. Having a 1914 navy is the key. No other power could stand up to the battleships of the German Navy.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Essentially this puts all other nations as less developed and subject to colonization. Russia, because of its size might be an exception although the Ukraine would be a German target as well as other areas adjacent to the German border. There would be two levels of potential colonies: those that in reality were or became colonial powers themselves and those that did not. Having a 1914 navy is the key. No other power could stand up to the battleships of the German Navy.
Does Germany start by waging a war with France over Algeria? Germany can also take iron ore-rich Briey and Longwy from France while it's at it.

Similar History Discussions