1939-The Civil War

May 2008
I just reciently saw a sci-fi book that is a specualative history of the US civil war taking place in 1939, with all of the WW2 technologies. The subject of the thread: what would be the outcome of the Civil war if it took place in 1939, with all the WW2 technologies?

May 2008
I'm thinking that the North would develope the atomic bomb, but I highly doubt that the North would actually use it against their brothers in the South.

Jun 2008
Seattle
I don't think the North would have dropped the bomb in the South because they are "brothers". The U.S. dropped the atomic bombs on Japan because they wouldn't surrender. If a Civil War were to occur in the U.S. in 1939, as it was in 1861 and today, the South is mainly based on means of production and agriculture. Just like in the 1860's the North were better equipped than the South. In 1945 Truman dropped the bombs because Japan had no intention of surrendering and Truman didn't want to go with the Invasion of Japan which would have saved [American Soldiers] lives. But with the South, even if the South was as stubborn as Japan on not surrendering, the South would be in ruins anyway, essentially defeated anyway, therefore no more need for the atomic bomb.

But if we go with the argument that the atomic bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were somewhat racially motivated, then the North wouldn't have dropped the bombs on the South.

May 2008
I don't think the North would have dropped the bomb in the South because they are "brothers". The U.S. dropped the atomic bombs on Japan because they wouldn't surrender. If a Civil War were to occur in the U.S. in 1939, as it was in 1861 and today, the South is mainly based on means of production and agriculture. Just like in the 1860's the North were better equipped than the South. In 1945 Truman dropped the bombs because Japan had no intention of surrendering and Truman didn't want to go with the Invasion of Japan which would have saved [American Soldiers] lives. But with the South, even if the South was as stubborn as Japan on not surrendering, the South would be in ruins anyway, essentially defeated anyway, therefore no more need for the atomic bomb.

But if we go with the argument that the atomic bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were somewhat racially motivated, then the North wouldn't have dropped the bombs on the South.
I agree, I don't know what city they would have used the bomb on anyway, what city is big enough. I'm guessing it would be Richmond.

Jun 2008
Seattle
Assuming Richmond would be the capital of the South just like it was for most of the real Civil War, then yes. But by 1939, I think "candidate cities" for bombings (LOL)

1. Charleston, SC - MAJOR Southern city because of its port. Biggest port in the South and after all, it was in Charleston with SC seceded in December 1860 and it was in Charleston [Harbor] where the first shots at Fort Sumter were fired in the real Civil War. Also the center of "secession"
2. Atlanta, GA - Largest city in the South with economic development for the South. One of the most "modern" Southern cities in 1939 (and today)
3. Savannah, GA - port

But yeah, definitely Charleston and Atlanta

May 2008
Assuming Richmond would be the capital of the South just like it was for most of the real Civil War, then yes. But by 1939, I think "candidate cities" for bombings (LOL)

1. Charleston, SC - MAJOR Southern city because of its port. Biggest port in the South and after all, it was in Charleston with SC seceded in December 1860 and it was in Charleston [Harbor] where the first shots at Fort Sumter were fired in the real Civil War. Also the center of "secession"
2. Atlanta, GA - Largest city in the South with economic development for the South. One of the most "modern" Southern cities in 1939 (and today)
3. Savannah, GA - port

But yeah, definitely Charleston and Atlanta
Very good choices. I think it is safe to assume that Richmond would still be the capital, although with weapons technology at the time it wouldn't be the best location for the "Brain" of the Confederacy.